Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CMMG MK47 Mutant K as a host?

Feedback Score

CMMG MK47 Mutant K as a host?

So now that I've got a 7.62 can on the way I've been searching for a good host that would function as a sort of "poor man's supersonic 300BLK". Currently I'm leaning towards the CMMG MK47 K (10" variety) as it seems to be one of my best options. Has anyone around here ever heard one suppressed in person or better yet shot one themselves? My main concerns are how it sounds compared to supersonic 300blk/5.56 and how over gassed it is when suppressed.

I'm also open to suggestions for other hosts that may be better. My main criteria:
    - 7.62x39
    - Compatible with a variety of AK mags (ideally)
    - Sounds decent suppressed (rules out AK's from my experience, even the custom Rifle Dynamics/SilencerCo Omega combo was LOUD AF)
    - Reliable and from a good company with good parts availability
    - Ideally easily configurable as an SBR (10-12.5")

Besides the CMMG the main one that I've been considering is the PTR 32K (12.5") but I'm not sure it would be a very good host either. I was hoping to keep the whole package pretty compact given how well 7.62x39 seems to do compared to 5.56 in shorter barrels but I'm also open to 16" options if need be. In case it matters or helps to know, it'll be paired up with a SF 300 SPS and mostly 123gr Wolf.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    AK's are loud (af) because their piston is designed to be leaky and requires an overgassed gun by design (the whole works in -40 and 140 while being made with children's hands on 150 year old machines).

I doubt the CMMG is any less overgassed than a typical AK.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post

I doubt the CMMG is any less overgassed than a typical AK.
    Why do you think that is? And if it is that overgassed do you think it would send bells ringing like an AK or just be inconvenient like a DD MK18?

I could solve the problem with an adjustable gas block but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I buy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just knowing why carbines get overgassed, and that AKs usually are, that CMMG isn't going to risk their new wondergun not being as reliable as an AK.... It's almost guaranteed to be overgassed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just knowing why carbines get overgassed, and that AKs usually are, that CMMG isn't going to risk their new wondergun not being as reliable as an AK.... It's almost guaranteed to be overgassed.
    I don't see why an adjustable gas block wouldn't work to tame down an MK47 like it would an AR.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No one would be able to tell you. Try it out!

I'm just giving you an educated guess based on my experiences consulting on gas systems and working with high speed cameras. I'd be ****ING STUNNED in the CMMG wasn't overgassed by default. As to just adding an adjustable port, that might work great, or it may be pointless because the gas system (for all I know) vents to atmosphere right at the gas block like the AK does then it's largely just the same issue.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't see why it can't... if it is over gassed you can play with buffer springs and buffer combos until you reach a happy medium.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    I don't see why it can't... if it is over gassed you can play with buffer springs and buffer combos until you reach a happy medium.
    Go for it!

But remember we're not talking about running right, we're talking about being excessively loud. Loud from the gas system, loud from the action unlocking early, etc. I'm just not at all confident that cheap 7.62x39 in a 10" barrel will ever be able to drop pressure enough / not be so overgassed that it'll be a good suppressor host.

Someone go prove me wrong!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Go for it!

But remember we're not talking about running right, we're talking about being excessively loud. Loud from the gas system, loud from the action unlocking early, etc. I'm just not at all confident that cheap 7.62x39 in a 10" barrel will ever be able to drop pressure enough / not be so overgassed that it'll be a good suppressor host.

Someone go prove me wrong!
    I see what you're saying now. I wonder what the OD of the barrel is and the gas port size.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The Mutant uses the DI AR gas system and not a piston like the AK. It wouldn't vent to atmosphere at the gas block any more than any other AR does. I think an adjustable gas block would work. What is the OD of the Mutant gas block journal? I don't know what the difference between the the 5.56 and 7.62x39 rounds would be in a DI host though. And I don't own a Mutant. Go for it. Report back.

Edit to add: MAC with suppressed Mutant

https://www.full30.com/video/579c5e1...68161426dada13
    Last edited by dmd08; 01-15-16 at 13:21.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast