Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CMMG MK47 Mutant K as a host?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Go for it!

But remember we're not talking about running right, we're talking about being excessively loud. Loud from the gas system, loud from the action unlocking early, etc. I'm just not at all confident that cheap 7.62x39 in a 10" barrel will ever be able to drop pressure enough / not be so overgassed that it'll be a good suppressor host.

Someone go prove me wrong!
    technically x39 should be a great sbr/host. i got a radical upper on black friday, just waiting for my c products mags to get here. then i have to buy the $100 muzzle adapter..

anyways, a 10" x39 DI upper with adjustable gas/proper gas port WILL be quieter than a 10.5" 5.56, almost guaranteed.

ill let you know

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by t15 View Post
    anyways, a 10" x39 DI upper with adjustable gas/proper gas port WILL be quieter than a 10.5" 5.56, almost guaranteed.
    ill let you know
    I'd really like to understand the reasoning on why you think that. It's not like either round is designed to be run in a 10" barrel. The x39 will have a 50% larger bore which definitely is going to effect the dwell in the same barrel length.

I definitely wouldn't just go tossing out a statement like that. I'm curious as to your reasoning.

Feedback Score
    https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...f=121&t=302140

http://demigodllc.com/articles/7.62x...-standard/?p=1

"Here are potential untapped strengths of the 7.62x39. First, because of the relatively small powder volume versus bore size, relatively little performance is lost as barrel length is reduced. This makes the 7.62x39 a perfect candidate for very short carbines. For example, a load that replicates M43 using Accurate #1680 powder will lose only about 70 fps when barrel length is reduced from 16 inches to 14 inches. Going down to a 12-inch barrel only loses another 83 fps, while a 10.5 inch barrel will still fire the 123-grain bullet at just over 2100 fps. The 7.62x39 is an ideal cartridge for a short-barreled rifle, provided a bullet that produces good terminal ballistics is used"

going by saami specs, max psi for x39 is 45k vs 55k in 223.

i could definitely be wrong though lol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by t15 View Post

ill let you know
    Please do I've been considering this for a while because of how well the 7.62x39 retains its velocity with shorter barrels but haven't started spending the cash on it because I've never heard a suppressed 7.62x39 AR-platform SBR in person. Also have tons of ammo for it in storage which is a bit of a factor.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    This sounds like an awesome project. I'm not sure that my wallet wants to hear about it, though...

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'm interested as well. The Mutant is one of several on my list when I get back to the mainland and figured I'd might as well get the SBR as long as the performance was there.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It appears that it would probably be a good host, but they need to get rid of the stupid T charging handle and preserve the muscle memory of the AK, while un-gassing the user.

I'd buy up a Mutant in a heartbeat if they installed a floating dust cover and charging handle like an FNC.

Last edited by KalashniKEV; 01-19-16 at 02:30.

Feedback Score
    i did a bunch of googling on this topic. didnt want to register any more lowers, looks like cproducts was bought out by another company and released a new version of their magazine, the "gen2". this site, lcj wholesale is supposed to be their primary re seller.

hopefully the gen2's work without any modifications. using an AIM surplus $90 bcg. if the magazines are on point, i might get the LMT enhanced bolt and build another upper from scratch. i am a little worried about the feed ramps, looks like everyones just using m4 style.

heres an example of someones feed ramp fix

http://www.majorpandemic.com/2014/11...y-on-AR15.html

http://shop.lcjwholesalestore.com/28...-RD-762X39.htm

my shipment was back ordered, supposedly was shipped recently. still have to order the muzzle break, will order next week and update.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Snow day musings:

Part of what has crippled AR-10-types for years is the lack of a common standard.

CMMG Mutant has two awesome things going for it:

1) the lower design
    2) the bolt design

To compete with KAC and Colt in the AK-mag AR game, they should offer a full menu of parts- and open source their design.

Why open source it?

They can always say they invented it, and they will sell a lot of receivers and BCGs that can be mated with side charging or T-handle uppers, compatible barrels, and handguards.

Their design would quickly become the dominant pattern in the industry.

...or make a RH side charging pistol upper (to mimick the AK loading and immediate action sequence) and put MLOK HGs on it and I'll be happy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did anyone else see that the Colt CK901 is being released for the US market? Might be a good option.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast