Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire SOCOM 300 SPS

Feedback Score
    Am I the only one hoping they make a 300 sps mini? I'd like a do-it all socom can, but the sps is too long and the 762 mini performance reports are pushing me to buy 2 different cans (556 mini and something for 308/300blk.)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Am I the only one hoping they make a 300 sps mini? I'd like a do-it all socom can, but the sps is too long and the 762 mini performance reports are pushing me to buy 2 different cans (556 mini and something for 308/300blk.)

I've been saying that since they announced the 300 SPS. A 6" can that meters around 27 decibels with 300blk subs, but still has all of Surefire's benefits (bombproof mount, low flash, minimal blowback) would be awesome. I would want it to be rated to the same level of durability as the SOCOM762-RC however (all inconel baffle stack). It would be prefect for 308 SBRs, 300blk, and 5.56 SBRs.

Since SF will never make this.... I bought a SiCo Omega, and will run it direct thread and with the flat endcap.

A Saker 762 Mini would also fit my requirements.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunkmonkey4 View Post
    Just shot the mws with the 300sps. The 300sps is quieter than the mini, shouldn't be much of a surprise though the can is bigger.

blackhalo, you should do well with those two guns, Ive heard that the 6.5 can be alittle picky with the newer socom style suppressors(something with the mount, there's a slight gap that causes the pressure to slap the bullet alittle)
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    Regarding the slap...is that dependent the muzzle velocity of the round as it passes through the can? Does this affect accuracy at all?
    Just wondering if the 6.8 mounts and/or 6.8 suppressor would be a better choice for the 6.5 rounds.
    I have no issuses with my SOCOM762-RC and my 6.5CM on my LMT LM8MWS. It shoots sub MOA with my handloads, and has gone out past 1,100 yards.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Honestly I would have bought a rugged razor instead of the sps if I could do it again. I bought the SF since I already had the socom mounts. But, still think I'm going to grab a razor.

And yeah, I've shot my 7.62 mini on my 6.5CM with no change, except a small repeatable shift.
    Last edited by Blackhalo; 04-06-16 at 08:12.

Feedback Score
    Received the stamp for mine this afternoon. Looks like I'll have to wait until the weekend to give it a whirl. Unfortunately no 300blk this weekend though, just a 20" .308 and a few 5.56 AR's with a variety of barrel lengths. I'll let you know what I think, maybe a video if my friend brings his uber camera.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Might have already been discussed, but for those who have this can, what POI shifts are we seeing running .300 BLK subs and supers through it?
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkerr View Post
    Received the stamp for mine this afternoon. Looks like I'll have to wait until the weekend to give it a whirl. Unfortunately no 300blk this weekend though, just a 20" .308 and a few 5.56 AR's with a variety of barrel lengths. I'll let you know what I think, maybe a video if my friend brings his uber camera.
    Surely he will deliver...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinmonkey05 View Post
    Surely he will deliver...
    Haha I always do Unfortunately I had to wait an extra week because of work but I got out there this past weekend for a couple hours to give it a whirl. First impressions are that it sounds amazing on my 20" .308 bolt gun with all the ammo I tried, not uncomfortable at all to shoot without hearing protection even though I typically still wear it anyways. Because the weekend that I was planning on shooting changed so did the guns that would be available and the only 5.56 that I got to try it out on was a 10.3" DD upper. It was loud as crap on that upper with the .223 55gr Wolf Gold that I had with me, I shot it once without hearing protection just to see and that was a mistake, lost hearing for a sec then some bells ringing. Very loud, much louder than the other ~10.5" AR's that I've shot with 5.56 RC's attached. On that note, my 5.56 RC2 should get approved any day now, I'll post back after I shoot it just to compare the two on the same exact setup/day etc.

Feedback Score
    Ok, took mine out to the range with a 556-RC2. The rifle was a 10" SCAR 16S CQC. Muzzle device was a Warcomp. Ammo was a mix of LC M193 ball and Hornady 75 grain TAP SBR.

I was not impressed with its 5.56mm performance. GTF was VERY pronounced. It was like going to the optometrist and having your ocular pressures check with that machine that blows in your eye. Eye pro helps a little but I had to fight the blink reflex. This was much worse than what I experienced with the 556-RC2 on a 10.5" LMT MRP upper. It was also much worse than my KAC QDC on a 14.5" SCAR 16S that I shot that day. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to put the 556-RC2 on the 10" SCAR to see if the GTF would improve; the cans were too hot to change because I left my oven mitt at home.

Sound suppression was indistinguishable from the 556-RC2; your ears will ring a little if you shoot without ear pro. No failures. Bolt locked back on every round. I did not get a chance to test POI shift because the suppressor was too hot to remove.

Lock-up was just like my RC2 and every other RC that I've handled.

I have an Omega and a 762-RC2 in jail. I'm curious to see how they compare. I will also head back to the range next weekend and see if the 556-RC2 is an improvement. I'll also try the 300SPS on my 16" SCAR 17s and 16" LMT MWS to see if the GTF is better on a longer barrel or DI gun.

I have a 9" BCM 300blk built and a 9" MCX 300blk Kit on order. So far, I'm not sure if I'll go with the 300SPS or wait for the Omega to clear the ATF. If the 300SPS continues to suck I'll just stick with the Omega and use the 300SPS as a back-up for the 762-RC2 that is in jail.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-29-16 at 20:50.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm still waiting for mine, so keep that in mind here. I really think that SF might have gotten in front of themselves by marketing the 300 SPS as a "multi cal" .30 cal can. Based on what I've read/heard its a "Special Purpose Suppressor" optimized for 300 Blk. I think it should have been marketed more strongly in that regard rather than as a multi cal can.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast