Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Opinions on the Beretta ARX-100

Feedback Score
    After a bit of research, I figured out which red dot optic to go with on the ARX-100... chose an Aimpoint PRO. Tried to use my Trijicon MRO w/ an absolute co-witness mount. It does co-witness with the stock BUIS, but like the BUIS the red dot just sits too tall for me to get a proper cheek weld. On the Aimpoint PRO(or CompM4/CompM4s), REMOVE THE SPACER. Now the optic is at the optimal height. Cheek weld issue solved, but now the BUIS are useless. I do not think they are bad, but it seems that Beretta USA does the top picatinny rail/BUIS different than the military version ARX-160. ARX-160 stock sights sit in front and/or behind picatinny rail and slightly lower on the receiver.

Anyone know of a BUIS set that runs around the 1.2" height?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayGhostDog View Post
    I do not think they are bad, but it seems that Beretta USA does the top picatinny rail/BUIS different than the military version ARX-160. ARX-160 stock sights sit in front and/or behind picatinny rail and slightly lower on the receiver.
    In the "beginning", yes, but the 160 began a transition to the full length top rail with the SF models as far back as 2012. It became standard, along with the revised latch for the colapsable stock, enlarged cooling slots in the handguard and bolt catch forward of the trigger guard with the A3 version in 2013. The civilian ARX 100 is essentialy the A3 version without the upgraded handguard. The A3 version of the 160 "advertised" by Beretta Defense shows it being equiped with what looks like LPA rifle sights...

Its tough to come up with definitive information since no one who has actual hands on experience with the "military" 160's, spends time posting on the internet. There was a thread here about 5 years ago from a member who was working with an undisclosed foriegn military group, but the pictures are long gone.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ht=beretta+arx

Most of what I know about the 160 comes from information released at foriegn defense shows and using google translate. Everything I know about the ARX 100 comes from owning one for the last three years since its release. Save for one user induced malfunction, mine has been 100% reliable for over 4k rounds and all of the features work as designed. 4k plus is hardly a torture test, but I'm neither military or Walter Mitty.

Accuracy has only improved over the time I've owned my ARX, primarily due to finally settling on a sighting set-up that ignores conventional "AR-15 wisdom". I've been through two red dots on several different height mounts and 4 sets of back-up sights, finally arriving at a set-up, that for me, allows a consistant, solid cheek weld, taking an inconsistant 4+MOA gun to a consistant 2MOA gun with me behind the trigger, which is a feat in and of itself.

Last edited by BBossman; 08-14-17 at 10:40.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OIPactual View Post
    That's very surprising to hear. I mostly shoot mine with my omega, and have never had that experience. I'll try shortening my stock to see if I can make myself experience that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Huh. I just got my Omega and tried it on the ARX and still get the stinging particles to the face. I run my stock one click back from fully closed though. I wonder if that's the difference?

I know the Ranger is high back pressure. I ran it on two different barrels and had the same experience with both- stinging particles in the face.

The real cause is that the system is overgassed with a suppressor attached and the bolt is opening a little soon. Some way to dial back the gas would help this.

DIYing a port cover cutout from a sheet of kydex that fits into the sling loops fore and aft of the ejection port should be a pretty easy bandaid.
    Last edited by Aries144; 05-18-17 at 18:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BBossman View Post
    In the "beginning", yes, but the 160 began a transition to the full length top rail with the SF models as far back as 2012. It became standard, along with the revised latch for the colapsable stock, enlarged cooling slots in the handguard and bolt catch forward of the trigger guard with the A3 version in 2013. The civilian ARX 100 is essentialy the A3 version without the upgraded handguard. The A3 version of the 160 "advertised" by Beretta Defense shows it being equiped with what looks like LPA rifle sights...

Its tough to come up with definitive information since no one who has actual hands on experience with the "military" 160's, spends time posting on the internet. There was a thread here about 5 years ago from a member who was working with an undisclosed foriegn military group, but the pictures are long gone.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ht=beretta+arx

Most of what I know about the 160 comes from information released at foriegn defense shows and using google translate. Everything I know about the ARX 100 comes from owning one for the last three years since its release. Save for one user induced malfunction, mine has been 100% reliable for over 4k rounds and all of the features work as designed. 4k plus is hardly a torture test, but I'm neither military or Walter Mitty.

Accuracy has only improved over the time I've owned my ARX, primarily due to finally settling on a sighting set-up that ignores conventional "AR-15 wisdom". I've been through two red dots on several different height mounts and 4 sets of back-up sights, finally arriving at a set-up, that for me, allows a consistant, solid cheek weld, taking an inconsistant 4+MOA gun to a consistant 2MOA gun with me behind the trigger, which is a feat in and of itself.

I greatly appreciate the information you were able to provide... I've only had the ARX-100 for less than a month, but it was on my radar for quite some time(southpaw-friendly features). Never seen those low-profile sights before, but they look very good. Was going to try Troy Micro Sights, but maybe look for the ones on your ARX...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayGhostDog View Post
    I greatly appreciate the information you were able to provide... I've only had the ARX-100 for less than a month, but it was on my radar for quite some time(southpaw-friendly features). Never seen those low-profile sights before, but they look very good. Was going to try Troy Micro Sights, but maybe look for the ones on your ARX...
    They're factory sights from the CZ Scorpion and Bren. They provide a lower third co-witness with the Aimpoint H-1 on a factory Aimpoint mount. My prior sight set-up was Troy Micros with the H-1 on an ADM T1-CAS-V mount. This set-up isn't as "sexy" as flip-ups and throw levers, but I care more about results.

With each successive change to my set-up that moved the sights closer to the bore axis and a more solid cheek weld, I saw better repeatable accuracy. I had the idea to try this set-up on the ARX after I mounted an H-1 on my Scorpion EVO carbine.

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail...t-Evo-And-Bren
    Last edited by BBossman; 05-19-17 at 04:59.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just had a thought. I use standard height AR mounts for my optics. So my cheek is actually about 2" above the stock. Maybe that's why I don't have the gas issue?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by OIPactual; 05-19-17 at 21:20.
    President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Feedback Score
    Just received my ARX-100 from Bud's the other day. I'm only 5'8" and the stock is barely long enough for me. I can't imagine someone of a larger nature being comfortable with it. Mine came with 2 mags and they seem pretty sturdy. MecGar?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Just received my ARX-100 from Bud's the other day. I'm only 5'8" and the stock is barely long enough for me. I can't imagine someone of a larger nature being comfortable with it. Mine came with 2 mags and they seem pretty sturdy. MecGar?
    I just got one, haven't fired it yet.

I love the stock. I'm not tall either. While practicing handling the gun having the stock all the way in works for me. But for shooting off a bench/prone one notch out will be my choice. (I square to the target and roll my shoulders forward) Thankfully the sort-of A2 grip isn't as angled as a real A2 so I can keep my elbows down with the short stock and it's comfortable.

About the magazines: Yes, they are stout. Steel. Made by Beretta. They weight over 8 ounces empty. A standard Colt 30 rnd GI mag weighs just over 4 oz. (Both on my kitchen scale)
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-24-17 at 23:39.

Feedback Score
    My take on my unfired ARX 16 inch:

I've read people say it feels cheap. Nope. Unless an AR15 and/or Glock feel cheap to you as well.

It's light. 6.5 lbs on my scale. (no magazine) The barrel assembly with gas block/piston is 2.0 lbs. Beretta's steel mags are just over 8 oz. A GI aluminum 30 rnd mag is just over 4 oz for comparison. A PMAG a little more than that.

The 16 inch barrel is a good length. It's easy to remove which will be great for cleaning. Big feed ramp. Dual extractors.

I removed the front side rails. (aluminum) They had loc-tite on them. The metal rails are rough to grab with your hands. If nothing is mounted to them they need covers or just remove them. They can go right back on as necessary. You can mount a light from the top, bottom, or either side. Plenty of rail space and more available from Beretta. (longer lower)

I like the factory sling. It attaches to the front swivel and I chose the rear receiver slot for the rear of the sling. It's obviously made for the rifle.

The iron sights are too high and the rear is like looking through the peephole of a door. You can't see around it at all. They are easily removed with push-buttons. I don't plan on using them.

The charging handle is small enough that it's best to wear gloves or get the enlarged handle from Beretta. That's what I did and it's MUCH better. I thought smacking my knuckles on the brass deflectors would be a problem. It is with the bare charging handle. Not an issue with the enlarged cover that snaps securely over it.

Field stripping for cleaning (including removing the firing pin) is no harder or easier than an AR15. And you have a small part or two you could lose like an AR. It's just different. A big help is that you can just remove the barrel and clean the chamber real easy.

I love the controls. All of them. As others have noted the selector switch is tight and a little short. I lubed it, wore gloves, and worked it hundreds of times while watching TV. It's just fine now. Still takes more effort than an AR but it's still very new. Very positive action. It's fine. Charging handle, bolt hold-open and bolt release all better than on an AR. Charging handle will work fine as an assist, for silent bolt closing, or to check the chamber for a round. Mag release is ambi, same location as an AR (slightly smaller buttons) but you also get an additional mag release on the bottom. Great for when you want to remove and retain a magazine. (However the bottom mag release is reluctant to free Pmags)

The Trigger. Yea it's very heavy. But the face feels good, it's very crisp, (single stage) and has a great reset. But it is pretty heavy. I may or may not replace it. I need to shoot it some first. If I were planning to use a scope I'd certainly replace it.

The grip is like an A2 but improved. It's not quite as skinny, a little grippier, a little longer (front to back), a little more vertical, and the nub is reduced. It's fine. If I find in handling the nub bothers me I'll shave it down. You can store stuff in it.

The stock is good. Very positive lock up. Feels good on the cheek. Easy to operate.

Magazines:

-The Beretta steel mags have front to back play. Drop free.
    -Aluminum 20's and 30's have front to back play, just a touch of side to side play. Drop free.
    -Pmag Gen 2 mags have no play (but are not too tight, either, perfect fit). They drop free on a newer mag, they do not if the mag has had some use. (I watched a video that demonstrated this as well. Pmags do swell with use)
    -Pmag Gen 3 mags won't fit because of the over-insertion tab. 10 minutes with a file (less with a dremel I assume) and the tab can be removed. Then the mags are just like Gen 2's in regards to fit.

I'm hoping the Beretta mags and GI mags work out the best in actual use. I only plan to use Pmags for the Gen 3 40 rnd variety. Already modded one and it fits great.

I put a TRS-25 RDS on the rifle for now. It's nice and low and I get a great cheek weld. I'll use this for the first range trip.

Ok. Thats my take on it so far. It would make a FANTASTIC, affordable patrol rifle. Add a light, optic, and go. (comes with the sling) Use Beretta, GI, or Gen 2 Pmags. (would be a great choice for coupling!) 10 inch barrel available and drops right in. And admin would love the heavy lawyer trigger.
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-25-17 at 00:27.

Feedback Score
    I purchased these sights from Robert RTG Parts:

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/41...OPTER-6p87.htm

I'm looking for something where I can catch the front sight through the optic window. The sights that came with it obscure 2/3 of the optic when deployed.

UPDATED with the sights came in today and they're just about a perfect lower 1/3 cowitness. Can't wait to get out and shoot it.
    Last edited by K.O.A.M.; 06-29-17 at 18:23.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast