Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cross draw for a guy with a bum wing

Feedback Score
    Howdy,

Have you tried using the other hand/arm?

Back in '04 I had a/c joint surgery on my right shoulder and I switch to my left side until my shoulder got better. I can shoot left handed so it wasn't any big deal.

Paul

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
    This guy built my shoulder holster I was posting about, he also does a variety of cross draws.
    I cannot recommend him enough.

I'll second the above , I have a number of Sam's holsters , including both Carjacker Crossdraw and the McDaniels II Crossdraw for several different sidearms ranging from 1911s and Sigs ( 220s and 229) to several different Smith and Ruger snub revolvers. He's a throwback to the old days of quality leather makers who actually listened to the customer , and he'll pretty much make it how the customer wants.....though he will be quite upfront with you if he thinks something just won't work.

Oh and by the way , Andrews MacDaniels rigs ( and the II) work *really* well for appendix carry.

I also have two of his horizontal shoulder rigs and one of the verticals , well worth the financial outlay and they'll likely outlast the user.

About the only I use nowadays that's *not* from Sam are a couple old Milt Sparks rigs that I bought when Milt was still alive ( one an original Yaqui Slide that I bought based on what Cooper once told me) and a Bruce Nelson rig that I had made just a bit before his untimely death.

At any rate , I digress. Sam Andrews is to be highly recommended , pro quality leather that's usable and confortable on an everyday use basis.
    Last edited by Freethought; 02-02-16 at 19:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    If I may be so bold? Have you considered the humble fanny pack?

I know a lot of folks say they scream "GUN!" for an able-bodied individual. But when you have to carefully navigate through life whilst wearing one of those padded shoulder sling doodads, folks probably will not be surprised to see you keep your keys, wallet, cellphone, etc in such a carrier.

A couple of years ago, I broke my right hand, then a few months later broke the left hand. It was very handy to have all my gear in a convenient package to grab and go.

I have a pair of the old Eagle Industries fanny packs, one rigged for LH and one for RH. Other people says the ones from Tommy's are quite nice.

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/Original_Gun_Pack_p/1.htm

If you can find a Eagle or Camelbak fanny pack on fleabay, snap them up. The Camelbak Goblin fanny pack is very nice, along with their Demon concealed backpack. I have both, and like them a great deal.
    I have a Tommygun, and it works quite well. I normally only use it when I'm doing the gym short and flip flop thing in the summer, but it does work, even with a full size 1911.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Get an opposite hand holster and start training with it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Big +1 for AIWB. I made the switch about a year ago and I haven't looked back.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzook View Post
    Big +1 for AIWB. I made the switch about a year ago and I haven't looked back.

Yeah , but don't admit it or say much about it in certain places , you'll be subjected to vociferous rhetoric from the " it's unsafe and you'll shoot your pecker off." crowd. And of course they'll run the same verbal hogwash as regards frontside crossdraw.

Interesting that I've utilised those two carry methods for thirty years and the aforementioned bits of anatomy are still with me , but then it seems that a great many of those doing the yapping have forgotten the very basic rule of " keep your booger hook off the bang switch until such time as you have acquired and verified target and it's necessary to fire."....

Feedback Score
    I use a Galco Hornet cross draw for my G 27. I couple that with a single mag pouch for a 15 round reload. Usually I carry strong side, but if I know I am going to be doing a significant amount of driving I prefer the cross draw. Cross draw may be the best option given your situation. There are some high-quality/concealable options out there. Fear not.

image.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12