Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Lock'N'Load Overall Length Gage

Feedback Score

Hornady Lock'N'Load Overall Length Gage

Just curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on this product. What supporting components from Hornady are needed in addition to the gage?
    "The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government" -Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauxKneauxs View Post
    Just curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on this product. What supporting components from Hornady are needed in addition to the gage?
    This is what your talking about correct ? http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...traight-1Each/ https://www.precisionreloading.com/c...p#!l=HN&i=A308

I just bought one myself awhile back and think it works as advertised. Just purchase the "Modified" case for each caliber and you should be good to go !

Feedback Score
    I bought one along with the case for my Remington 700 in 308.

It takes some finesse to feel the rifling start through the tool, but after some trial and error, it can really give you some important data. In my case it wasn't super useful though as my 700's throat depth would allow for a much longer COAL than I could use with my mags...
    I always wanted to take two shotguns and mount one on either side of a Rottweiler...I will call the breed a Shottweiler

Feedback Score
    Yeah scoutguy, but the angled version for autoloaders. Not the straight shank version you linked.
    "The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government" -Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ View Post
    I bought one along with the case for my Remington 700 in 308.

It takes some finesse to feel the rifling start through the tool, but after some trial and error, it can really give you some important data. In my case it wasn't super useful though as my 700's throat depth would allow for a much longer COAL than I could use with my mags...
    Too much free bore?

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Yeah scoutguy, but the angled version for autoloaders. Not the straight shank version you linked.
    Ah,thats cool,I always wanted one for my M1a rifles but figured they always have to fit in the mag so I was never worried about semi-auto rifle. AR style rifles are a tad different but still have to worry about feeding from the mag I would think. Anyways I like the tool,works great. I also bought this, I think you get a "finer" OAL. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231...with-6-inserts Hate to say it but I got all my stuff on ebay, everything was below MSRP and Free Shipping,can't beat that !

Feedback Score
    What different lengths of jump to the lands do you guys test at when developing precisions loads? (e.g. .10, .050, .025?) Do you do test loads in varying lengths before or after dialing in with a powder selection and charge?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    What different lengths of jump to the lands do you guys test at when developing precisions loads? (e.g. .10, .050, .025?) Do you do test loads in varying lengths before or after dialing in with a powder selection and charge?
    I just started reloading but from everything I've read in my research the consensus is to dial in your powder/charge first and then tweak your jump.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjinglesusa View Post
    I just started reloading but from everything I've read in my research the consensus is to dial in your powder/charge first and then tweak your jump.
    This. Although, with Weatherby's and their freebore, there's not much to work with except for the heaviest vld projectiles.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Too much free bore?
    Factory Rem 700s often come with gargantuan leades. I haven't measured mine in a while, but like RedRalleyZ, I have way more leade than I could ever want.

I won't likely ever shoot a bullet that's depth sensitive because of the volume we shoot. I'm too impatient to be checking and adjusting jump every several hundred rounds.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast