Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bags - 2016

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Sleeping bags - 2016

I just bought the Marmot Limelight 3P tent on sale for $160. Now I'm looking for sleeping bag recommendations based on a balance of quality, weight, price, etc. I'm basically looking for the Glock 19 of the sleeping bag world.

I'm guessing a +20 to +30 bag would suffice for my needs. Mostly 3 season, maybe 4 later, backpacking and camping in the NE with my little guys, so nothing too extreme. I'm 6' 3" so I think I'll need a "tall" and I'd like to keep the price under $200, and closer to $100 if possible. I'll be needing to buy the little guys bags as well.

I've read some good stuff on Wiggy's, their ultra light +20 is on sale for $135, any experience with those? North Face, REI brand, Mountain Hardwear?

FYI - I picked up the tent on www.steepandcheap.com which has some great deals!
    Last edited by Irish; 01-16-16 at 17:31.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I've had good experiences with the Snugpak bags for backpacking duty.

No complaints.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    North Face Cat's Meow is the Glock 19 - http://amzn.to/1Pypz1C

If you are not going to be anywhere wet and can afford it go down as it packs far smaller and weighs less. Any Chance of the bag getting wet go synthetic.

I am currently running a Western Mountaineering Caribou 35°. I don't get out in the cold and wet as much as I used to so now I just want lightweight.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    North Face Cat's Meow is the Glock 19 - http://amzn.to/1Pypz1C

If you are not going to be anywhere wet and can afford it go down as it packs far smaller and weighs less. Any Chance of the bag getting wet go synthetic.

I am currently running a Western Mountaineering Caribou 35°. I don't get out in the cold and wet as much as I used to so now I just want lightweight.
    I'm in Central NY, so getting wet will probably be an issue, even just heavy dew in the morning. I'm thinking synthetic is the way to fly.

I'll check out the NF and Snugpak.

One thing I find appealing about the Wiggy's is it's made in America and their guarantee looks to be outstanding.

Our Guarantee is for a lifetime of use. If a seam opens, the zipper breaks or the Lamilite insulation deteriorates (such as losing its loft or separating, clumping in one place or another), Wiggy’s will repair or replace your bag at no charge to you.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Most any outdoor gear company will have a lifetime guarantee. If you are ever in goodwill and see a beat up north face jacket, pick it up and send it back and they will send you a brand new one. I think i was on my third or fourth mountain light jacket before I sold the brand new on to my brother. And if there is a 3rd party involved like GORE-TEX or Polartec you can send it back to them and they will let you pick whatever you want from any company as long as it's made from their material. So if you have a $250 TNF mountain light jacket that is wetting out, send it back to GORE-TEX and they will ask you what you want to replace it with. Feel free to say "how about an Arc'teryx Theta AR" and they will say "we will get one in the mail from Arc'teryx in the next couple of weeks".

All the big boys have amazing warranties like North Face, Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, etc. = no questions asked.
    Last edited by themonk; 01-16-16 at 19:04.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I had no idea that they were all that responsive. Thanks!

I ripped my Atom LT (LEAF version) sleeve just the other day, damnit! I'll drop them a line and see if they'll do a repair on it. It's been a phenomenal jacket!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sleeping bags - 2016

I have the same tent and use a Marmot Arete 40 F / 4C for warmer weather. It is super light and packs up extremely small.

My priority was low weight and small size, I hate the constriction of mummy bags, but for low weight they are pretty much my only option.

Great tent btw.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 01-16-16 at 19:36.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I have the same tent... Great tent btw.
    Still pondering which bag to get. But, I received the tent today and set it up in the living room for the boys to play in. At first glance it appears to be very well built, really easy to set up and I think it's going to work great for our needs over the next couple of years.

Marmot states 5 lbs 15oz for the weight but my scale shows 7 lbs 7oz for anyone interested in that particular tent.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    You know I have been searching around for bags here lately and just now came upon this thread. Anyone else have experience with Wiggy's? I have been reading excellent things, but then I have also come across the usual elitists badgering on about they are too heavy and yada yada.

I like the fact that they are made in the U.S.A. They come in subdued colors (I hate neon garbage). I have read they last damn near forever, can continuously be washed without losing loft, and can be compressed for long periods without losing loft.

My plan is a system similar to what I had in the military. Wiggy's seems to fill that role perfectly and lighter weight as well. I was looking around for bivy's and found that bivy's you want Gore-Tex or eVent material. I decided on a Rab Ascent Diamond Bivi.

Wiggy's coyote brown super-light mummy bag: 4lbs, 0°
    Wiggy's coyote brown overbag mummy bag: 2.5lbs, +35°
    Rab OD ascent diamond bivi: 1.37lbs
    Medium & x-large Tactical Tailor stuff sacks: .66lbs
    Total: 8.53lbs

Intermediate bag: 4.38lbs -10°
    Patrol bag: 2.31lbs +30°
    Bivi: 2.2lbs
    Stuff sack: .875lbs
    Total: 9.765lbs

A little more than a pound of weight savings with around the same temperature ratings.

*my mind is subject to change
    Last edited by Endur; 02-27-16 at 03:57.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    It depend what you want to do with them.They are awesome bags. They are just way to heavy for what I do with my bags.

There are 4 very easy places to loose weight with camping gear - pack, tent, bag, cooking. I have very easily kicked 10 lbs down the road never to be seen again. 10lb is lot on your back all day. So much lighter and so much faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast