Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bags - 2016

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Sleeping bags - 2016

I just bought the Marmot Limelight 3P tent on sale for $160. Now I'm looking for sleeping bag recommendations based on a balance of quality, weight, price, etc. I'm basically looking for the Glock 19 of the sleeping bag world.

I'm guessing a +20 to +30 bag would suffice for my needs. Mostly 3 season, maybe 4 later, backpacking and camping in the NE with my little guys, so nothing too extreme. I'm 6' 3" so I think I'll need a "tall" and I'd like to keep the price under $200, and closer to $100 if possible. I'll be needing to buy the little guys bags as well.

I've read some good stuff on Wiggy's, their ultra light +20 is on sale for $135, any experience with those? North Face, REI brand, Mountain Hardwear?

FYI - I picked up the tent on www.steepandcheap.com which has some great deals!
    Last edited by Irish; 01-16-16 at 17:31.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I've had good experiences with the Snugpak bags for backpacking duty.

No complaints.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    North Face Cat's Meow is the Glock 19 - http://amzn.to/1Pypz1C

If you are not going to be anywhere wet and can afford it go down as it packs far smaller and weighs less. Any Chance of the bag getting wet go synthetic.

I am currently running a Western Mountaineering Caribou 35°. I don't get out in the cold and wet as much as I used to so now I just want lightweight.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    North Face Cat's Meow is the Glock 19 - http://amzn.to/1Pypz1C

If you are not going to be anywhere wet and can afford it go down as it packs far smaller and weighs less. Any Chance of the bag getting wet go synthetic.

I am currently running a Western Mountaineering Caribou 35°. I don't get out in the cold and wet as much as I used to so now I just want lightweight.
    I'm in Central NY, so getting wet will probably be an issue, even just heavy dew in the morning. I'm thinking synthetic is the way to fly.

I'll check out the NF and Snugpak.

One thing I find appealing about the Wiggy's is it's made in America and their guarantee looks to be outstanding.

Our Guarantee is for a lifetime of use. If a seam opens, the zipper breaks or the Lamilite insulation deteriorates (such as losing its loft or separating, clumping in one place or another), Wiggy’s will repair or replace your bag at no charge to you.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Most any outdoor gear company will have a lifetime guarantee. If you are ever in goodwill and see a beat up north face jacket, pick it up and send it back and they will send you a brand new one. I think i was on my third or fourth mountain light jacket before I sold the brand new on to my brother. And if there is a 3rd party involved like GORE-TEX or Polartec you can send it back to them and they will let you pick whatever you want from any company as long as it's made from their material. So if you have a $250 TNF mountain light jacket that is wetting out, send it back to GORE-TEX and they will ask you what you want to replace it with. Feel free to say "how about an Arc'teryx Theta AR" and they will say "we will get one in the mail from Arc'teryx in the next couple of weeks".

All the big boys have amazing warranties like North Face, Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, etc. = no questions asked.
    Last edited by themonk; 01-16-16 at 19:04.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I had no idea that they were all that responsive. Thanks!

I ripped my Atom LT (LEAF version) sleeve just the other day, damnit! I'll drop them a line and see if they'll do a repair on it. It's been a phenomenal jacket!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sleeping bags - 2016

I have the same tent and use a Marmot Arete 40 F / 4C for warmer weather. It is super light and packs up extremely small.

My priority was low weight and small size, I hate the constriction of mummy bags, but for low weight they are pretty much my only option.

Great tent btw.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 01-16-16 at 19:36.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    The Snugpak Jungle Bag is the only sleeping bag I have but it's loaded with features and is a great bag, so I'd assume all of their bags are. All my other camping stuff is from Nemo and I have been extremely pleased with all of it. I haven't used a bag specific to what you're looking for but figured I'd recommend those brands based on my experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    I had no idea that they were all that responsive. Thanks!

I ripped my Atom LT (LEAF version) sleeve just the other day, damnit! I'll drop them a line and see if they'll do a repair on it. It's been a phenomenal jacket!
    Yea if it was a failure of their stiching or fabric they will replace it - http://www.arcteryx.com/Service-Form...subject=WAFORM

I would do your best to write it up as a failure of the product and not user error.

Only time I have seen them baulk was a buddy was cutting climbing rope for some hottie and he had on a Arc'teryx Beta jacket, anyways he was a little distracted and the hot knife melted the crap out of his Beta. He was so bummed. He sent it back and they said they would fix it but would not replace it.
    Last edited by themonk; 01-16-16 at 19:32. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm guessing the lowest temp I'd be dealing with is right around 30 degrees, starting in April. The rest of the year, until November, will be in the 40's to 50's for the low. I'm not sure what's appropriate for that temp swing and I know that some ratings are "hopeful."

Thanks for the input so far. I'm hoping this may help with suggestions.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast