Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bags - 2016

Feedback Score
    They are middle of the road for the ratings as far as weight

I like them because I can crush them in a dry bag and they never loose loft

And they are honest about quality and temp ratings. Ive gone far below rated temp with a poncho liner inside the bag

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    yea, not an issue with any good bag

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I have the same tent... Great tent btw.
    Still pondering which bag to get. But, I received the tent today and set it up in the living room for the boys to play in. At first glance it appears to be very well built, really easy to set up and I think it's going to work great for our needs over the next couple of years.

Marmot states 5 lbs 15oz for the weight but my scale shows 7 lbs 7oz for anyone interested in that particular tent.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    You know I have been searching around for bags here lately and just now came upon this thread. Anyone else have experience with Wiggy's? I have been reading excellent things, but then I have also come across the usual elitists badgering on about they are too heavy and yada yada.

I like the fact that they are made in the U.S.A. They come in subdued colors (I hate neon garbage). I have read they last damn near forever, can continuously be washed without losing loft, and can be compressed for long periods without losing loft.

My plan is a system similar to what I had in the military. Wiggy's seems to fill that role perfectly and lighter weight as well. I was looking around for bivy's and found that bivy's you want Gore-Tex or eVent material. I decided on a Rab Ascent Diamond Bivi.

Wiggy's coyote brown super-light mummy bag: 4lbs, 0°
    Wiggy's coyote brown overbag mummy bag: 2.5lbs, +35°
    Rab OD ascent diamond bivi: 1.37lbs
    Medium & x-large Tactical Tailor stuff sacks: .66lbs
    Total: 8.53lbs

Intermediate bag: 4.38lbs -10°
    Patrol bag: 2.31lbs +30°
    Bivi: 2.2lbs
    Stuff sack: .875lbs
    Total: 9.765lbs

A little more than a pound of weight savings with around the same temperature ratings.

*my mind is subject to change
    Last edited by Endur; 02-27-16 at 03:57.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    It depend what you want to do with them.They are awesome bags. They are just way to heavy for what I do with my bags.

There are 4 very easy places to loose weight with camping gear - pack, tent, bag, cooking. I have very easily kicked 10 lbs down the road never to be seen again. 10lb is lot on your back all day. So much lighter and so much faster.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll echo what was said earlier about the dri-down. It really does eliminate the one big advantage that synthetic had over down. Now it is only cost.

I have (out of your budget and temp needs) a big Agnes storm king (0 deg rated) that has the "down-tec" (the BA version of dri-down) and I won't use synthetic again. That is a sub 4 lb bag that is a true 0* (most bags are over rated for the comfort temp). I usually am good just in boxers well below freezing in this bag.

My point is not for my bag for you (again, too expensive and too much insulation) but rather to inform about the improvements of down vs syn.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Big Agnes, Marmot, Mountain Hardware.

Down, and 15 degree. I'd take a down bag any day of the week over synthetic if its intended for backpacking. Use a waterproof stuff sack, and be smart about condensation (ie keep your bag away from tent walls, dry it out during the day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endur View Post
    You know I have been searching around for bags here lately and just now came upon this thread. Anyone else have experience with Wiggy's? I have been reading excellent things, but then I have also come across the usual elitists badgering on about they are too heavy and yada yada.

I like the fact that they are made in the U.S.A. They come in subdued colors (I hate neon garbage). I have read they last damn near forever, can continuously be washed without losing loft, and can be compressed for long periods without losing loft.

My plan is a system similar to what I had in the military. Wiggy's seems to fill that role perfectly and lighter weight as well. I was looking around for bivy's and found that bivy's you want Gore-Tex or eVent material. I decided on a Rab Ascent Diamond Bivi.

Wiggy's coyote brown super-light mummy bag: 4lbs, 0°
    Wiggy's coyote brown overbag mummy bag: 2.5lbs, +35°
    Rab OD ascent diamond bivi: 1.37lbs
    Medium & x-large Tactical Tailor stuff sacks: .66lbs
    Total: 8.53lbs

Intermediate bag: 4.38lbs -10°
    Patrol bag: 2.31lbs +30°
    Bivi: 2.2lbs
    Stuff sack: .875lbs
    Total: 9.765lbs

A little more than a pound of weight savings with around the same temperature ratings.

*my mind is subject to change
    They are great bags. I've been buying them since 1995 for personal and commercial use. I've owned all of the bags discussed and Wiggys can hang with and exceed them all.

Until you go BIG (Feathered Friends quality) Wiggys is the best value on the market. US sourced and made too....

You can wash them over and over and mate them for couples (commercial use experience). Can't say enough about durability.
    Last edited by anatolian B; 03-03-16 at 23:29.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    REI is having their 20% off members sale right now. Good time to pick up pricey gear.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    The Kifaru bags are expensive, but warm, pack small and are pretty durable. I have a 20' wide long with the stuff sack. Fits perfectly into my Zulu. Warm, and I'm a cold sleeper. If it's too cold, I use a woobie as a blanket inside the bag. Haven't used it with a bivy yet, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast