Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bags - 2016

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    Temperature ratings tend to be overly optimistic - even on the top brands (Western Mountaineering/Feathered Friends/Etc). Buy warmer than you need, you can always unzip it a ways.

Welded seams, while not as common, tend to hold up better than stitched seams. Welded used to be rare but it's becoming more common.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I picked up the Wiggy's and so far I am happy. I hope to take them out camping sometime soon and see how they do.

Feedback Score
    Excellent choice.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PLA View Post
    I have a pile of bags including a few mentioned here

Wiggy's are THE bag to have over all the rest. I have the FTRSS system ( 2 bags) and all the rest of my bags are hanging in a closet. I'm totally happy with Wiggy's
    I have these Wiggys bags as well and they are great . Got a set for me and my wife that can zip together in case of colder outings or admin puposes.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    After reading numerous reviews and the info in this thread I went with the Mountain Hardware Lamina Z Flame.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    After reading numerous reviews and the info in this thread I went with the Mountain Hardware Lamina Z Flame.
    Great bag.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've got maybe 6 sleeping bags (used to work in the outdoor industry) and I'm not really a Wiggy's fan. They are built like tanks, so you can really abuse them, but their warmth to weight and packed size ratio isn't really all that great, in my experience. Their insulation is so bulky that you can get it really wet and it still lofts up.

As you go up in price you'll just go down in weight and compressed size. The less expensive polyester lofts are just heavier and bulkier than the high end ones or down, so that's what you usually give up when you go towards the low end of the price spectrum.

I like down a lot for true winter camping (when it's consistently below freezing), or super hot summer camping (consequences of a wet bag are reduced) but any down bag is going to get wet/damp with sweat, condensation, or precip (sloppy skills). Synthetics are like the chrome lined barrels of sleeping bags... you don't have to be paranoid about how you pack it or handle it and you'll be fine. They are my personal preference for 30-60 degree nights. Having to stop and air out your down bag in the sun isn't always an option, or compatible with some folks uses. I can make them work, but unless I'm looking to really count ounces, I'd pay the weight penalty here.

I also hate bivys unless its below freezing for many of the same reasons. In the winter time they can help boost the temp rating of a bag, and I tend to like tarp shelters in the winter (frozen precip is less of a concern contacting your stuff, and bugs aren't an issue) so I'll consider running a bivy with a tarp thrown overhead to cut weight. It also lets me adjust the temp of my bag by removing the bivy layer if my bag is too warm inside of it.

The shelter setup you use might impact your bag selection as well. For example, you probably don't want to pair a tarp shelter with a down sleeping bag in temps above freezing, or wet climates.

I have 2 or 3 house branded sleeping bags from EMS that are pushing 10 years old now, and they've been great. Lots of companies seem to have decent bags that are a step above "car camping" grade bags you find at Walmart for $40. You just really need to figure out what features you need (cut, length, material, zippers), the temp rating, and where you want to be for price vs weight/size.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Stuff to consider down the road if you are going to lean toward the hiking side.
    As I got back into hiking, my gear switched around a lot the 1st two years. I bought high end stuff so I didn't really loose out as I swapped stuff around. No matter how good of shape you are in, carrying the least weight makes things the most enjoyable. Unfortunately light weight is tied to high prices. If I was back east I would have a Kifaru 20 degree bag, the long is 2.9 pounds. If you can get your big 3 ( tent, sleeping bag, ruck) to come in at around 2 pounds each, you are on the road to a respectably light weight ruck. I run a Feathered Friends 20 degree bag out here, it was expensive. It is also one of the only thing I have bought in the last 20 years that has 100% met my expectations.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horned Toad View Post
    I run a Feathered Friends 20 degree bag out here, it was expensive. It is also one of the only thing I have bought in the last 20 years that has 100% met my expectations.
    Gear whores will recognize this as a great endorsement.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horned Toad View Post
    Stuff to consider down the road if you are going to lean toward the hiking side...
    Thanks for the insight.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast