Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyote down

Feedback Score

Coyote down

I got first blood with my Wilson suppressor this weekend. It was a 38 lb male about 50-60 yards with my 6.8 120sst reloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Nice shooting and awesome looking rifle. Might want to post in the "weak belly" sticky thread.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    We have quite a few coyotes around here. The other night when I was walking my dog, we ran into three of them.

I think most of them are about that size or a little bigger.

How do you like the can?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    We have quite a few coyotes around here. The other night when I was walking my dog, we ran into three of them.

I think most of them are about that size or a little bigger.

How do you like the can?

Love the can. Really compact and doesn't ring my hears. I would love to buy another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Well done and nice rig. Good to see fellow coyote hunters on here.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Can't say I personally do any active Coyote hunting here in MN.

What I can say is that the predator to my chickens quickly becomes prey to me. Our property seems to be right on the edge of a pass through for many males. Of course, with every male, there tends to be a few females. Many of the packs that drift close to coop have gone by without any issues, even nosed it only to turn around and walk away. Other times, they make a heck of a lot of noise trying to get in, spook my birds (a convenient alarm) and they get taken care of.

It's not often, but often enough to have to keep things positioned for a quick rescue mission to my winged companions. Their eggs is payment for survivability, and the occasional hide or 'yote meat (yes, I have heard you're not supposed to eat it, yes I have and yes it's just fine, very tasty; but I am just not okay with doing hunts [even damage hunts] without trying to utilize as much as I can) is only a bonus.

EDIT: On this topic, I want to add that the same moment of excitement/adrenaline you get during a deer hunt before you pull that trigger/release your bow; is something I seem to get as soon as I hear them start going off. During the nights we can hear them doing what they do, but loud as ever. At those moments, boots on, bundled up, and ready to load and go. I don't mention this to complain, or even as if I have an issue with this happening. It's seemingly an entertaining routine in my life. That's for sure! Haha.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 01-19-16 at 14:09.

Feedback Score
    HeruMew,

I admire your willingness to not waste what you shoot.

How do you utilize the hides?

Sell them or make something?

Can you describe the taste of Coyote and how you go about cooking it.

Thanks!

I ask because I have a chance to shoot them many nights were I live.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Enjoy eating that.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    While I'd never considered eating Coyote, I've eaten a lot of exotic, wild game from rattlesnake, sea turtle steaks in British West Indies, alligator, feral pig, raccoon, and that's list is incomplete.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    With the hides, they get used up in small projects with the family or I gift them out to friends (that's if they're nice enough after skinning and if I can get the hides preserved properly and fast enough with what I have on hand).

I have had family members try to make gloves, or patch hats, or add the fur to something. But I have yet to come across a hide that was nice enough to sell or use on something larger. I don't want to give a false presentation either, we've been on this property for about 2 years, and have only taken 6 coyotes. 2 went to a friend who wanted them for the meat at the times (dunno what he ever did with the hides), and the four I have gotten were spread out over time. (I have missed and scared away others in the cold dark with nothing but a cree light and the rifle)

The meat, honestly, is hard to explain. It's a red meat, I don't eat it with red in it. The texture is close to other red meats, but I cook the hell out of it and usually crockpot it with some sort of gravy/marinade. I stick with the better cuts I can manage, and a lot of the rest has gone to the dog (that I could muster the patience to butcher off). The rest goes to the other side of the property where it's free to be picked by the scavengers.

EDIT:Just wanted to add: It's not a sweet meat though. I have heard certain smaller animals, and some predator meat in particular, can taste sweet. The 'yotes I have ever tasted were not sweet.

To clarify, while I don't want to waste it, I certainly don't save everything and there is still waste. It's just the reality because, well, they stink. If you can get through the whole process, rinse the meat well, marinade and cook well, I have found it to be delectable. I have had people look at me like I am a crazy cook off his meds, I have been deemed a wasteland prepper for being able to stomach it, and I have had friends and family be just as excited to try it. All in all, I was just raised not to waste what I started.

I am a youngin, in my mid twenties, that was lucky to grow up with a family who owned enough property to teach me some of this stuff, the rest was taught with the internet, friends, some hunting trips, and my personal experiences (while not plethora, it's been a good start).

And WickedWillis, I do enjoy it. Just as much as my venison, or the chickens raised, or anything else for that matter. It's as organic as I can ask for (or care to ask for) and it was brought in by me. While not to cause a stroke from all the ego rubbing, it prides me to know that I could provide for my family, any way I had to, by using that said meat.

To clarify, if you can stomach harvesting the meat, you can stomach the meat itself.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 01-19-16 at 15:50.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast