Thread: DTA MDR, presale starting at SHOT. thoughts on interchangable caliber platforms

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

DTA MDR, presale starting at SHOT. thoughts on interchangable caliber platforms

I have been following the Desert Tech MDR since It first was a concept/prototype. I had a DTA SRS .308/300 Win mag and believe they make a quality rifle.
    I also had a Tavor (left handed) and I like the bullpup concept, I sold it when I saw the MDR was announced; I also viewed the Tavor caliber conversion too difficult to want to do more than a few times....

My question:
    How do people view the role of a caliber changing rifle; (for the folks on a one way range, i.e. a non-mil use) I can see the 5.56 to 300 blackout being a quick barrel swap as worth it; but .308 does require a few more steps and parts

I envision having one case with several caliber conversions being nice to transport; but I am not sure how to handle any POI and any optic changes;
    at some point, it just seems easy to have another gun. I am just trying to think if its a solution to a problem I don't have.....

I have several SBR's but realize the performance suffers in 5.56; so the bullpup seems to make some sense; but now having a SBR bullpup becomes a possibility
    Just trying to think thru this one before I make the plunge

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A multi-caliber rifle was important to me at one time. The ACR promised that, so did the Tavor. Those rifles never panned out at multi-cal. Sold them all. I'm over it now. I have no interest in the MDR. At one point, I wanted a DT SRS Covert. One rifle to fill many caliber choices. It is less and less important. I'm out!

SamM
    Last edited by SamM; 01-18-16 at 17:49.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The MDR does look very tempting. As for multi-caliber, it really depends on price.
    If the price of the rifle is really high compared to a caliber conversion kit, then maybe.
    With ARs, uppers cost about the same as fancy caliber converson kits, making most people just opt for an upper in a different calibre/barrel length.
    With the MDR, or any new rifle design for that matter, I doubt that will be the case.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    A multi-caliber rifle was important to me at one time. The ACR promised that, so did the Tavor. Those rifles never panned out at multi-cal. Sold them all. I'm over it now. I have no interest in the MDR. At one point, I wanted a DT SRS Covert. One rifle to fill many caliber choices. It is less and less important. I'm out!

SamM
    There's a lot more about this rifle than multi-cal. With Desert Tech being behind it, it ought to be accurate and have a good trigger.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    I am interested in the MDR, but don't really care about changing calibers. Just in for accurate, compact 308.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    There's a lot more about this rifle than multi-cal. With Desert Tech being behind it, it ought to be accurate and have a good trigger
    But that's the whole selling point with DT rifles. The fact that you only need to buy one platform and then add the caliber conversions. My AUG is accurate and good triggers are subjective. The one thing to remember about the MDR is that it was designed to shoot the .308Win cartridge. In a defensive roll that's a lot of heavy ammo in a heavy rifle. In a hunting roll, my .308 rifle weights 6.6lbs.

I'm not busting on it. Just saying there are compromises to be had whatever people chose. I hope it's a great success. Same as I wish the X95 is for IWI.

SamM

Feedback Score
    I'm very interested in the MDR just for the fact that it's a .308 bulpup and if it works would make an excellent companion for my backroads treks. Not very interested in the caliber conversion because of POA/POI shift, though in theory one should be able to have one optic for each caliber on a quality QD mount and have it be zeroed. I'll just spend the extra money and have two rifles. Something like an AR15 makes sense for caliber changes because you ca just swap the whole upper and your sights go with it. But considering how much a good lower costs there isn't a whole lot of reason to not have complete rifles instead of just uppers.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am interested for the .308 in a 7.1 lb semi auto platform. I can't think of anything else even close, and as a bullpup I can suppress it without it becoming ridiculously long. I think this could work for me as my hunting rifle (New Mexico). I am a little concerned .308 might be a little light for elk or Oryx though if I am lucky enough to get a tag.

I will be looking for a hunting rifle if my upcoming transplant surgery is successful and I am able to do get out of bed again. My vegan until several months ago wife has started pushing me to hunt

The caliber conversion to 5.56 would be more interesting for cheap practice if it didn't cost as much as a 6920. My hope for it though is that they come out with a 300 wsm or such conversion kit I could get for large game.

I won't be buying anything for a year at least so hopefully it will be through the beta test phase and popular enough for the price to come down and there be more caliber and barrel length options.
    Last edited by stahljaeger; 01-25-16 at 09:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am very interested in this. I am not as much sold on it being interchangable, as I am getting a quality semi 308 for less than the DD. As said, it will most likely be accurate and have a quality trigger. The interchangable part only makes it more interesting to me.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    As Desert Tech moves forward with the MDR, I must say that I like this rifle more and more. It looks like DT has a real winner here. Admittly at first, the caliber conversions did not seem to be a big selling point to me. I posted that here in this thread. However, as I get older having more and more, things, does not mean as much. Soon, I will be living on a limited income and this has me rethinking priorities. This could truly be the one rifle that does it all. Switching the caliber from 5.56 NATO to .300 Blackout or 7.62 NATO would allow a hunter to use the rifle to hunt most big game in North America. The .300 Blackout would be great for suppressed shooting and pig hunting. This platform would mean that I could spend more money on various optics including the ELCAN Specter, Nightforce riflescopes and thermal imaging. This has me thinking and making future plans.

My AUG A3 M1 is not the best platform for shooting suppressed. It's a loud, gassy and very dirty rifle when shot suppressed.

The MDR might actually be the best choice for a do everything rifle. I hope they get them out soon.

SamM

Attachment 37632

Attachment 37633
    Last edited by SamM; 02-09-16 at 09:43.