Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 - Considerations in Reducing Recoil Spring Tension for Easier Slide Rack?

Feedback Score

Glock 19 - Considerations in Reducing Recoil Spring Tension for Easier Slide Rack?

My wife turns 73 this year and already is unable to rack the slide on her Glock 19 which, I understand, has a standard 18 lb. recoil spring. She is able to rack the slide on a Sig P238 which has an 11-12 lb spring but we don't know whether she could rack the Glock with 13 or 15 lb springs. While it is easy enough to determine whether either of these spring tensions will work for her, what are the ramifications for ammo selection, reliability, etc? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    What I tell my customers when they can't rack the slide is to consider a revolver. A 73 year-old woman very rarely is found in a place where more that 5-6 rounds are needed for self defense. One may also consider the Walter CCP with its "softcoil" gas system that makes it very easy to manipulate the slide. Lighter recoil springs will diminish reliability of a Glock 19. My advice - consider buying a new weapon system that best fits her physical abilities by visiting a gun shop with knowledgeable employees and maybe a place to rent the guns she wants to try, rather than trying to force fit a Glock 19 to her. A lower capacity gun that is reliable is better than a higher capacity gun that has been tweaked with lower weight recoil springs and pud loads. Competition guys may be able to get away with this but their lives are not on the line and most self-defense shootings are from compromised firing positions to begin with.
    Last edited by st381183; 02-26-17 at 12:19.

Feedback Score
    I've had luck instructing people to push the the butt of the gun forward as there pulling the slide back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the quick response. You bring up some good points. We were at a gun shop yesterday and that's where we determined that the P238 as well as a revolver trigger pull would work for her. We live in California so the choice in new make/model firearms is limited to what's on the roster. She suffered a hairline fracture in her wrist last year that is sensitive to the level and nature of recoil so won't know how much an issue that will be until she rents a revolver at the range. As an alternative to .38 spl, how does the .327 Federal in revolver recoil compare? We both liked the P238 but it is more expensive than expected. I guess that's because it comes with night sights.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is her inability to rack the slide the lack of push-pull strength, or the lack of grip strength, perhaps due to arthritis, etc.?

If the later, maybe a slide racker would help:

https://brassstacker.com/glock/slide...k-pistols.html

http://www.ndzperformance.com/NDZ-SR...k-srp-mil4.htm

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...44-126191.aspx

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I would look at a steel frame revolver, like a Ruger SP101 and load it with 38 special wad cutter ammunition. A combination like this should be soft shooting, and the full wad cutter rounds aren't bad as far as terminal effect.

I don't know that I would lighten the springs on a Glock 19. Doing so could have adverse effects on recoil, reliability and service life of the gun.

Feedback Score
    I believe her issue is more grip strength when trying to rack the slide. Your suggestion of a slide racker is a good one. Will check it out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredberry View Post
    I believe her issue is more grip strength when trying to rack the slide. Your suggestion of a slide racker is a good one. Will check it out.
    I have taught and instructed a few folks that were in there 60's, 70's, and 80's and have found the slide rackers to be an excellent option for individuals who have wrist or hand issues. Revolvers can be a useful option but will invariably present more recoil force per ounce than a typical semi automatic. Also if the weapon is carried or stored fully loaded there is seldom the need to rack the slide on a modern, reliable semi automatic such as a Glock or M&P. Technique is very important regardless of the firearm used. Good luck, glad you and your wife are taking your self defense seriously, and I wish your wife a speedy recovery from her injuries.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi

Feedback Score
    Thanks Molon Aabe for the kind words. As for the slide racker, which one(s) get the best reviews/comments? Can't find any youtube videos on the Vickers so far but that looks best to me.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I often suggest a Ruger LCR-22 in a case like this. With limited strength and age a .22 that can be shot well far outweighs something that cannot be controlled. A good hot .22 round like CCI stingers would be perfect. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...eets/5410.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast