Thread: Red Dot for a .45 AR Carbine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Red Dot for a .45 AR Carbine

Good evening,

I recently built a .45 ACP AR from a Tennessee Arms lower and Macon Armory D/I upper. I live in NJ, so nothing to extreme... 16" target crowned barrel (we have an AWB, so those dangerous flash hiders, threaded barrels, and bayonet lugs are not allowed ). Here is a basic picture of what I got to...

Lower was originally going to be a lightweight 5.56mm... but funds really didn't allow that, a .45 D/I, and a FDE gun (bought a three pack of Tennessee Arms lowers on Black Friday; one lower will sit in the safe for a rainy day). The MOE stock was taken off (sold) and I did order an ACE Ultra Lite Entry stock... being I'm building this for my girlfriend to use (she liked my AR, but was a little heavy for her). Weight is kind of a big deal, and as it was configured in that picture, it was 5.6 pounds. But in the back of my head, I'm considering a worst case that she won't like it... in which, it would just be another one of my guns (same thing happened with a GSG5 that I picked up for her).

Moving onto the specific topic, I have a set of MBUS on the upper, being I do want to try it out. But I would like to put a red dot on there, to make it a little easier to use. I'm siding with Aimpoint, as my main AR has a PRO on it. I have a Beretta CX4 that has a BSA red dot, but only went that route to cowitness the irons. My WASR just runs irons, so that is about the extent of my red dot experience. Not going to go NV, so was considering the Micro H2, and likely would be the Larue combo with their mount (I'm siding with absolute cowitness). Figured it would keep the weight down, and I like the see-through caps more than the covers on the H1. But I am open to alternatives... just at that price range or less.

Figuring a 16" .45 is going to be with 100 yard gun, likely zeroing it at 25 yards.

Thanks for any help on this. I looked at a few picture threads, but didn't see much on .45 upper optics.

Feedback Score
    I cant help with the red dot but I like what you built and I live in south NJ. I'm a member at SJSC, do you ever shoot there?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
    I cant help with the red dot but I like what you built and I live in south NJ. I'm a member at SJSC, do you ever shoot there?
    Nope... too far south for me.

I live in Monmouth County, so CJRPC would be the one I'd likely join (20 minutes away from me). Problem is that with work currently, don't have enough time that I would want to set aside to go there... especially with a $600 one time fee and $300 yearly fee. Spending that much, I'm making sure I get there at least once a week.

I have two indoor ranges within 10 minutes of my house (25 yards), friends in PA with further ranges, and then some access with work. I want to eventually get regular access to something with 300 yards, but far and few choices in NJ.

Feedback Score
    Check out the Holosun lineup

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Velocity from here using a 0.19 BC on a 230 grain Federal Hydra-Shok. 50 yard zero.

Based on this I would run a 4 MOA dot on a H1 or maybe a Comp 3 if you prefer a big body.

Using the Point Blank method, anything your dot falls on (out to about 85 yards) is going to take a hit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW I have a 9mm version as well as a shorter handy carbine in the same caliber and I use Sig mini red-dots (as I got them on close-out, 2 for price of 1) on both. Love them, baseball-sized groups offhand @ 50-yds, can't beat it!

Feedback Score

Red dots

Quote Originally Posted by msp1jpp View Post
    Check out the Holosun lineup
    I picked up a Holosun 503 at the Shot Show and so far I really like it. It has a reticle like an Eotech, but sharper. I have an Eotech and an Aimpoint H1, but right now the Holosun is my favorite. The big question now is how will it hold up.

Primary Arms has a line of inexpensive Red Dots also, I have 4 of them and they work great.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Update... I grabbed an Aimpoint Comp M4s from the other site. Got a good deal, which was pretty much a brand new red dot.

I also swapped out the lower to a Spikes, as I had some issues with the bolt catch workings on the polymer lower (not a fair test to the lower, with how the magazine interacts with the magazine block adapter. Very happy with how the whole package turned out.