Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 600 yard steel shooting with 5.56 - 9/2/2017 - Sub MOA @ 1000 (lol but for real)

Feedback Score
    Damn good shooting. I bet some of the others there came away with a new respect for a well built precision 5.56 gas gun.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I took this rifle to CORE Shooting Solution's Precision Rifle Class with some buddies. They laughed at me bringing a .223 to a range that goes out to 1,400 yards. Cold bore shots out to 800 yards on full size IPSCs were easy (despite wind and rain and fog). The 940 yard IPSC was sporting. It took four hits to get on target.

The best part of the course was the moving targets (a full size IPSC at 600 yards moving at 2.5mph) and the transitions from a 300yd static target to a 600yd mover and back and forth and back and forth in the wind with rain blowing on your face...

Read more here:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...300-yard-round
    Dude, good for you man!! I LOVE watching peoples reactions when you bring an .223 SPR out to do range work. Is it the best tool for the job, no. BUT it DOES the job! I love hearing people say that a .223 is no good past X yards. I always look at them and say, "Cool man, would you do me a favor and go stand out there and catch my bullets since it's useless and inaccurate at that range please?" Then they start back peddling and saying, "I don't want to shot! Are you kidding me?" Then I just respond with "Huh..." and leave it there and continue to hit steel...

GREAT SHOOTING!!!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Great shooting!

This really doesn't surprise me much as I have been running an "SPR" style AR for over 20 years. In the beginning, I was a varminter and would take prairie dogs out to 300 yards. The guys at the gunshop didn't believe me until one day when I brought in my target with four 1" pasters, all of them had 5 shots through them. The V-max was just getting popular then and mine really liked the 60 grain version.

The funny thing is, guys are all excited about the new 224 Valkyrie, even saying that it is 1400 yard capable. If that is the case, a 77 grain 223 is every bit as capable at 1000.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    What would the maximum range hitting a full size IPSC be possible at with 5.56?

My scope has 40MOA of turret elevation and at max power about 30-35 of reticle Hold. 41 is my adjustment for 1,000 yards, and the round is subsonic at 918 yards. (In winter temps of 40*)

Roughly, I can only get to 1,300 yards with my current setup. Add a 20 MOA base and I can almost get to 1,500.

What do I need to do to get .223 to a mile?

And to the guy reading this who’s gonna tell me it’s impossible - tell me that it can’t be done. I want you to.

Feedback Score

My scope has 40MOA of turret elevation and at max power about 30-35 of reticle Hold. 41 is my adjustment for 1,000 yards, and the round is subsonic at 918 yards. (In winter temps of 40*)

Roughly, I can only get to 1,300 yards with my current setup. Add a 20 MOA base and I can almost get to 1,500.

And to the guy reading this who’s gonna tell me it’s impossible - tell me that it can’t be done. I want you to.
    It's impossible!!!!! And it's "That Guy", not 'the guy', jeez.

You have a flat scope rail and no cant in your mount either? Are you so awesome that you don't use the word 'cant'?

Do you mean the actual MOA needed or do you mean the gear to pull it off, like the TacomHQ Charlie Tarac Unit?

https://www.snipershide.com/tacomhq-...scope-booster/

Wasn't Bryan Litz shooting out to a mile with 308? 77gr should be just as capable. Those Warner solid bullets would eeck out a bit more performance.

The bad news is that you'll have a hard time hearing the hits. The good news is that you could put someone next to the target because I don't think the 223 will break the skin that far out.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Bruh, do you even ballistically calculate?
    - IPSC steel: hit it reliability, or just hit it eventually? How many rounds do you get to walk it in? Conditions?
    - How much more mecahical adjustment/scope cant?: my maths say about 70MOA more than what you have now, so... good luck with that.
    - Hitting stuff at 1 mile with a .223: yeah sure you can do it, but at that range you are just 'Hail Mary-ing' those rounds in there.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I remembered reading this article years ago and had to dig into the web archives to find it:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200809130...223-mile-1.php

One thing that he did in the article was to zero further out at 1400 yards as he didn't have enough elevation in the scope to get out to 1760.

He used the 75 and 80 Amax which are great bullets but not made anymore, and won't fit in an AR mag. The ELD-M replaced the Amax, and the 73 when loaded, will fit in the mag but doesn't have nearly the BC when compared to the bigger brothers.

I have been developing an 80 ELD load in my 223AI bolt gun which has a 22" barrel, and the last load I tested was sending them around 2875 FPS. Strelok shows that to be 128.1 MOA at 1760 yards with a 100 yard zero. Comparing that to a 77 at 2750FPS, and you will need to come up another 70+ MOA

You can use the 80 ELD in your AR but you would have to single feed them as they won't fit in the mag.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I will load up some 80gr ELD bullets, get a 20 (or higher) MOA base and see how those do. That will get me to 100 MOA of elevation.

There's just no way I can get to 2900fps with an 80gr in a 20" barreled gas gun. Ain't gonna happen. But effort will be made.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I will load up some 80gr ELD bullets, get a 20 (or higher) MOA base and see how those do. That will get me to 100 MOA of elevation.

There's just no way I can get to 2900fps with an 80gr in a 20" barreled gas gun. Ain't gonna happen. But effort will be made.
    Sounds like a great project!

100fps isn't a huge difference because as you know, consistency is key at long range.

There were a lot of 1000 yard records set with the slow but super accurate 6BR.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Just spent the afternoon at the range with this rifle. Scored 4 hits out of roughly 10 rounds on a 2” gong at 600 yards in the rain.

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast