Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 600 yard steel shooting with 5.56 - 9/2/2017 - Sub MOA @ 1000 (lol but for real)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’m getting ready to build an SPR-esque AR and this thread has been a gold mine of information on so many aspects of distance shooting on an AR. Im looking forward to reading more on this thread.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    How much extra velocity does the magnum primer give you over the standard?
    I doubt he is seeing much of a velocity gain with the magnum primer. Most reloaders use the magnum primer because of the thicker cup which allow for higher load pressures.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks. I assumed there would be some kind of velocity increase. Guess I will find out in short order.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As a follow up to this discussion, here are some notes from last weekend's fun in the Nevada desert-
    2510' Elevation, 55°F, light variable winds
    18" 1:8 twist Faxon barreled AR
    77 Nosler CC over a stout load of 8208, not certain on the exact velocity but I was using 2700 for my dope and it was getting me close.

Targets were reduced silhouette steel placed at 450, 700, 860, and 1260 yards. Hit percentages on all the targets were above 75% with the light winds, except for the 1260 yard target where it wasn't making it out that far. There was a large barren area to the left of the 1260 target and I held the 1000 yard BDC reticle on my Burris scope well above a spot in the area and could see the bullet falling we;; short. It seemed to be running out of velocity and destabilizing pretty quickly past 1000 yards.

I did get to spend some time shooting the Hornady 80 ELD out of my 1:7 twist bolt gun and it really did well. I did not try it to the 1260 target as the wind had really started to kick up at that point, gusting to 20 MPH but I was really impressed with how it performed at 450 and 700 in those conditions. More testing to come but based on some measurements, I might get this one to feed from a modified AR mag which would put some legs on the capability of the 18" AR.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I have to update this thread based on information I received last week.

It seems I have misled you all unintentionally. The gongs I am shooting at were not at 600y.

They are at 625y.

Sorry.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 04-07-18 at 19:48.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I have to update this thread based on information I received last week.

It seems I have misled you all unintentionally. The gongs I am shooting at were not at 600y.

They are at 625y.

Sorry.
    Shit, bow i have to reprint my dope charts

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The beans are down!

Meaning my access to my back range is much improved. Been at it a few days now, at 650 and 660 yards, by GPS and confirmed with my new Vortex Ranger. I have a Weaver rangefinder since 1999, it was finnciky then and still is; well, that's probably just a 1999 thing. I finally decided to stop messing with it and the Vortex has been a real pleasure (and about 1/4 the size, and a decent 6X monocular into the bargain).

Fluke alert-- tonight's results were much better than the last few nights but this will be a continuing thing and I promise to tell the truth :-) . With my Nosler CC / RL15 handloads the other evening I got something like a 7" wide by 15" high group. Tonight-- a very solid 6", 5 of 5 group using Prime 77 grain ammo, and the same rig-- HM Defense barrel (with the integral, machined-in gas block), Bushnell SMRS scope on 6.5X in a Warne mount, Diamondhead rail, Wilson Combat trigger (Paul Howe model at 4.25 lbs).

Earlier I shot some Federal GMM 80's and never touched the 42" plate; my spotter couldn't see anything. With the Prime ammo I was holding 7 1/2 mils to the silver center and that's exactly what I got..... should have been 6 mils according to one program but-- you gets what you gets. I did not chrono the Prime.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Bushnell SMRS scope on 6.5X in a Warne mount
    Hello Ned,

From a quick search on the Bushnell, it looks like they made a 1-6.5 and a 1-8.5? Just wondering which you had and seeing that you said you were at 6.5x for those shots if you felt that was enough for shooting to 600m.

There's a (I think) 12" plate out at 650y at my local range that's calling my name. I'm looking to get a 1-x for my newest rifle, just want to make sure the X is high enough. Would a 1-6 be okay or should I be looking for a 1-8?

Any input you or anyone else has would be most appreciated.

Sent from my PIP-BOY 3000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Two decades ago I'd have said no way can you shoot that distance with a scope under 9X, but that was before I'd actually tried it and it was also before I had fully learned the lesson of not nay-saying something before attempting it (OK, I may still have not fully learned that one :-) ).

This Bushnell is the 1-6.5X. It is more than adequate, not ideal but more than adequate, for shooting at this range. It actually was better reticle-wise using the 7 1/2 mil hash mark (as opposed to the center reticle). My weird target shape kinda bears out my idea that target shape is important when trying to focus mostly on group size. I was actually putting the 7 mil hash mark between the two horizontal black lines, that spacing was perfect for holding elevation consistently. Then getting the vertical to line up with the center black drop-down.

I have shot my Millett DMS-1 1-4X at 500 and found that that, too, is quite do-able. I confess it's a BIG help having a large steel plate upon which to attempt small groups, it just speeds up the process of seeing where the hell it's shooting at a given distance.

Mind you this shooting was done on one of the dead calm, no-breeze evenings we've been having. If I had lit a cigar and placed it halfway to the target I think there would have a been a perfectly straight-up line of smoke. Good on the technical and gratification side, maybe not for learning how to shoot wind, but when you are mainly testing for accuracy I don't think the best wind-doper on the planet can shoot as tight a group in wind as he can in a dead calm.

Should you be looking at going to 8X, you ask..... my answer would be sure, why not. As long as the size, weight and money aren't big issues...... but 6X would do it. I'm just starting testing on a March 1-10X 24.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ned, thank you for the feedback!

Sent from my PIP-BOY 3000 using Tapatalk

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast