Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 600 yard steel shooting with 5.56 - 9/2/2017 - Sub MOA @ 1000 (lol but for real)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You ought to try one of my brass catchers

Snaps on the rail in front of your optic mount. It occasionally won't catch brass if it ejects too far forward but there are things that could be done to remedy that. Here is a video of me using on during an all rifle 3 gun stage

http://youtu.be/_x9YMYQq90s

Love the build. I would have a hard time painting my rifle, but yours turned out awesome.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    That actually looks pretty nifty.

I suspect with a 20" tube and rifle buffer it shouldn't eject too far forward even suppressed, but I'm not sure what Krieger sizes their gas ports at so who knows.

What do one of those run?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Thanks man. I have a new problem that I have to sort out before I can load any though. I had a great day at the range yesterday. I shot a 2.8" group at 560 yards with my Rem 700. I also had a bad day...

I loaded up some 55gr FMJ with 25.5gr of TAC (that was a stiff load!). I wanted to check that I was actually making usable cartridges so I fired them through my 11.5" BCM suppressed. After spending at least an hour prepping 100 Winchester cases with OAL, chamfer, etc, plus the time spent loading them all, I recovered eight of 100 cases.

I was beyond pissed. For that amount of time and money, if I had known what was going to happen beforehand, I would have literally just bought 500 rounds of loaded Wolf Gold and called it a day.

How in the hell do you guys keep your brass on a suppressed AR that ejects forward? They all flew into the brassy grass oblivion with all of the other thousands of 5.56mm pieces.
    Euro,
    I load the 55r FMJ's with 24.5gr of TAC. You may want to decrease your load. With XBR and 77gr SMK's, I load 23.4gr. Both of these loads are with Wolf SRM primers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Use a tarp. It's not naval special warfare approved, but it will catch your brass.

For hunting, I don't know. Most cheaper catchers I've run have quirks. They work most of the time. But not good enough if the gun has to actually work without fail.

The posted catcher above looks interesting.

There's 3 buc, some Caldwell ones. This one "looks" like it might actually work well. But I have no experience with it.

http://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com...w-lever-mount/

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    For $125 I will pay my 11 year old cousin to stand next to me and catch them !!!

I'll find a way, I'm sure. I really like Nielsen's product up above. It all depends on the ejection pattern of the brass when suppressed - no doubt it'll go 3:00-5:00 unsuppressed. I have no idea what Krieger's gas port diameter is though, nor do I have any idea what kind pressures 23+gr of XBR pushing a 77gr TMK produce.

I've ordered some new dies and such to load more precise brass. I got a comparator I can use to measure COAL to the Ogive for more accurate measurement of distance to the lands.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Said the accountant with Nods and DBAL on every weapon he owns.....

I agree. Kinda spendy for a bag to catch hot brass. But let me ask you this, when you were crawling through the grass on your hands and knees, at the gun range, swearing repetitively in public, would you have paid $130 then to get on your brass back? What if there were hot chicks around? What if they were is saying "wtf is that guy doing?"

I like tactical brass catcher because it is oversized. Pretty much every brass catcher I have ever had sometimes will have a spent case bounce back into the rifle.

I'd say a tarp, and one of those cheap Caldwell brass catcher for when you're hunting. That's probably your best solution.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    That actually looks pretty nifty.

I suspect with a 20" tube and rifle buffer it shouldn't eject too far forward even suppressed, but I'm not sure what Krieger sizes their gas ports at so who knows.

What do one of those run?
    I sell them for $35 each, $5 to ship whether you buy 1 or 100.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm not sure what Krieger sizes their gas ports at so who knows.
    Unless otherwise requested they use a standard .093 for their 20" barrels

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    jmnielsen, pm sent.

Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    Unless otherwise requested they use a standard .093 for their 20" barrels
    Gracias. That is very helpful (you've always been very helpful!)

Quote Originally Posted by cbx View Post
    Said the accountant with Nods and DBAL on every weapon he owns.....

I agree. Kinda spendy for a bag to catch hot brass. But let me ask you this, when you were crawling through the grass on your hands and knees, at the gun range, swearing repetitively in public, would you have paid $130 then to get on your brass back? What if there were hot chicks around? What if they were is saying "wtf is that guy doing?"

I like tactical brass catcher because it is oversized. Pretty much every brass catcher I have ever had sometimes will have a spent case bounce back into the rifle.

I'd say a tarp, and one of those cheap Caldwell brass catcher for when you're hunting. That's probably your best solution.
    1) This post made me literally laugh out loud. 2) Maybe I need to stop putting so much PII on M4C, lol .

You're absolutely right though. Plus, when you factor in $30 for brass and you recover $2.40 worth a brass catcher pays for itself pretty quick. Plus my time is just really valuable. I have already quit reloading 9mm because I would rather just pay for factory ammo than spend so much time loading bulk ammo on a single stage (and I am not rich, FWIW)

As far as the DBAL goes, I'm slightly offended. I only have two DBALs. The other rifles wear ATPIAL-Cs and the handguns have RMRs and X400Vs. If you're going to stalk me, at least get the facts straight.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm just being mouthy. Glad you laughed. Not giving you shit about the NV gear either. I've been saving for a year and a half to try to get into the night vision game. Maybe someday when I get a real job, and try to not have a small business anymore. I've never been so poverty-stricken in my life.

I just know what kind of time goes into case prep. It's a lot of time for it. Reloading would be cake otherwise.

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast