Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: 600 yard steel shooting with 5.56 - 9/2/2017 - Sub MOA @ 1000 (lol but for real)

Feedback Score

5 shots @ 600 yards with my 18". 77 grain factory Norma .223 match. Not quite sub MOA but was shooting fairly quickly. Should slow down next time

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDylan View Post
    5 shots @ 600 yards with my 18". 77 grain factory Norma .223 match. Not quite sub MOA but was shooting fairly quickly. Should slow down next time
    That is solid shooting
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDylan View Post

Yeah that's definitely excellent shooting.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    OP - Any new load data or optics choices?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    OP - Any new load data or optics choices?
    Same load, same optic. However I am considering a new optic. The NF I have has a reticle that is too thick for the level of precision shooting I am doing, but I don't want to turn my rifle into a .223 BR gun. It's tough pushing the limits of .223 and getting hung up on your gear, but there comes a point where it doesn't make sense to change things up even if it would improve the long range precision. I don't want a 35lb gun.

However, I did have a great experience a few weeks ago. In order to prove a point at how ridiculous 3 round groups are to some buddies I was at the range with, I shot a 3 round group (verified by quite a few guys) at 1,000 yards that was sub MOA and about 12" left with great elevation. I put it on my instagram (since deleted, I spent too much time on it) and was featured by Sierra Bullets for it.

I'll get the pics up of that soon. It was 9.5" at 1,000 yards with a .223 AR15

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Interesting. I'd like to follow up with you on whatever new optic you pick.

I am helping a friend spend his bonus on an SPR build. He has enough money budgeted for a very nice piece of glass, if he only buys it once. Unlike the usual practice of buy cheap, get pissed, buy better, find something nicer, etc.

Feedback Score
    So much good glass out there, used and new. Really amazing time for PRS/Tactical optics.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Interesting. I'd like to follow up with you on whatever new optic you pick.

I am helping a friend spend his bonus on an SPR build. He has enough money budgeted for a very nice piece of glass, if he only buys it once. Unlike the usual practice of buy cheap, get pissed, buy better, find something nicer, etc.
    I shot my buddy's Vortex Razor Gen II (I think it went up to 27x. I'm not sure of the specific model but I can ask) on the same day I shot that 3 round bs group at 1k.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Gen II glass made my Nightforce SHV look like a freaking kaleidoscope. I can't speak to its durability, tracking, or other metrics but for clarity the Gen II absolutely blew me away. And that was at 27x compared to 14x. The reticle was also thin enough to place shots precisely at 1,000 yards.

I think that is the line I am going for right now. As FMCDH said, it is a really good time to be in the market for good glass right now. Great prices for quality stuff. I would not be considering anything below $1,500 or so but above that there are dozens of good options.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    $2K is his budget for the scope and mount. So that will work out pretty well, I hope.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Oh look. A 3 round group that is sub MOA at 1,000 yards. I should submit this to Guns & Ammo Magazine since they love those so much.

Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    Wanna borrow one of my NF Competitions and see how she shoots?
    That's a very generous offer! I am taking this to a 1,200 shooting course in a few months and will see how it performs there. I have no illusions about this rifle being a BR gun, but a thinner reticle would shrink my groups by a third I would guess. If it hinders me on practical targets at long range (let's be frank, shooting clay pigeons at 600 yards is kind of ridiculous for this kind of rifle) then I would be all about trying out a NF Competition and seeing what kind of improvement comes about.

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast