Thread: Low Mag settings on Variable Scope: NF 2.5-10x42, 4-16 F1

Feedback Score

Low Mag settings on Variable Scope: NF 2.5-10x42, 4-16 F1

As number 45,367 in the line of people trying to find the "right" optic for their SCAR 17S, and not being able to try any locally...

How would you compare the FOV, Eyebox and ability to use either of the above-mentioned scopes in their lowest setting like an ACOG or ELCAN? Would the ATACR F1 4-16 function similarly as a 3.5x or 4x ACOG on that setting? In other words, am I comparing the lowest magnification for the most part to a fixed magnification optic of that same/similar mag? I understand these are different animals, but just wondering the practical differences and if they're negligible or substantial? Reticles and weight aside, how fast are these to the eye?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm interested in this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "75% of gun owners would be just as happy with airsoft." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    In theory eye box should be "better" due to the larger exit pupil but this depends. FOV is going to be less, the TA31 ACOG FOV is ~37 feet at 100 yards while both the ATACR F1 and NXS 2.5-10x42 are going to be closer to 27 feet at 100 yards.

Most non-prism optics are going to have to be at ~3x to get comparable FOV.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have both of these scopes (NF 2.5-10 & ACOG 4x). I don't have any time behind the NF yet, but I can peek through tomorrow and give you an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt3r View Post
    In theory eye box should be "better" due to the larger exit pupil but this depends. FOV is going to be less, the TA31 ACOG FOV is ~37 feet at 100 yards while both the ATACR F1 and NXS 2.5-10x42 are going to be closer to 27 feet at 100 yards.

Most non-prism optics are going to have to be at ~3x to get comparable FOV.
    FOV of the 2.5-10 at 2.5x is 44 feet not 27 feet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    FOV of the 2.5-10 at 2.5x is 44 feet not 27 feet.
    I was converting the FOV to what it would be at 4x for all optics. I suspect that's the most relevant figure here as if FOV was the sole determinant it would probably make more sense to go with something like a LPV.