Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $1.7 BILLION in cash to Iran.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    Wait... you do realize it's their own money... right?

This is money made on foreign oil sales and held in Chinese and other international banks.

Sanctions always strengthen the dictator.

It increases the people's dependence on to the regime to right the ship, and a wall goes up to protect the economy.

It also gives the dictator a tangible item to point to while demonizing the West, and gives the people something they can feel as their international buying power dwindles and they can't access western meds and luxury items that they need/want.

Also, fiat currency and fake money may have taken 66% of the Rial's value away in exchange markets... but an apple off the tree still costs what an apple should cost once the wall goes up around the economy.

Plus, just because the US decides to sanction and embargo somebody doesn't mean the rest of the world has to give a care. Post-sanctions, Iran had to offer their oil at a discounted rate to incentivize doing business with them- and China, India, Japan, South Korea, Turkey and Taiwan are all grateful for the dirt cheap oil, I'm sure.

There is also the fact to be dealt with that governments, no matter what political system is in place, are filled with mindless idiots. Business is where intelligent, independent people gravitate to in life.When you cut off business, bad things follow. Always.

Sanctions are the most dumb headed thing we could have done in Iran.
    That's a pretty stupid stereotype. It really damages the credibility of the rest of your opinion.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wait... you do realize it's their own money... right?

This is money made on foreign oil sales and held in Chinese and other international banks.

Sanctions always strengthen the dictator.

It increases the people's dependence on to the regime to right the ship, and a wall goes up to protect the economy.

It also gives the dictator a tangible item to point to while demonizing the West, and gives the people something they can feel as their international buying power dwindles and they can't access western meds and luxury items that they need/want.

Also, fiat currency and fake money may have taken 66% of the Rial's value away in exchange markets... but an apple off the tree still costs what an apple should cost once the wall goes up around the economy.

Plus, just because the US decides to sanction and embargo somebody doesn't mean the rest of the world has to give a care. Post-sanctions, Iran had to offer their oil at a discounted rate to incentivize doing business with them- and China, India, Japan, South Korea, Turkey and Taiwan are all grateful for the dirt cheap oil, I'm sure.

There is also the fact to be dealt with that governments, no matter what political system is in place, are filled with mindless idiots. Business is where intelligent, independent people gravitate to in life. When you cut off business, bad things follow. Always.

Sanctions are the most dumb headed thing we could have done in Iran.
    So, should we just bomb and invade them just to get it over with quickly?

Feedback Score

Have you not read any of my posts? Ever??
    I follow all your posts because I find most of them very well thought out and informative. Other posts, not so much.

You love W now? Jeb make you think that W wasn't the dumbest and incompetent Bush brother?

I can't recall you saying anything positive about Sunnis, which I did find odd. You seem to go out of your way to defend Shia's, even as far as Hezbollah. I seem to remember that your position was that there were no non-radical/ISIS Sunni forces fighting Assad.

If I'm wrong, tell me. I'd love to know.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser KAR98K View Post
    So, should we just bomb and invade them just to get it over with quickly?
    Why does it have to just be option A or B? There's more choices than that in life.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    Why does it have to just be option A or B? There's more choices than that in life.

Except American politics, where the choices are A and A-wannab.

I drink Dr. Pepper, that is about as C an option as we are going to get nowadays.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    #worstpresidentinthehistoryoftheunitedstates

#thanksriverboatkerry

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    400 Million the Shah had paid in advance for weapons systems that has set aside waiting to be returned, but held in accounts waiting for sanctions to be lifted. It isn't our money, but on the other hand I see no reason why that money hasn't been paid out to those hostages held by Iran over the years.
    If you want to take over via a coup and operate like a bunch of pirates, don't ask the rule of law to return the money you couldn't steal because it was invested outside of the Country you stole.

I'm rather disturbed that John Kerry doesn't get that. He seems to take no issue with some of that money going forward to fund terrorism outside the borders of Iran.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post

But KEV says sanctions and emargos don't work. What about quarantines? Oh wait, that almost got us in a nuclear exchange.

What other options are out there to curb a radical islamic state in creating weapons to make good on their threats? Doing nothing isn't an option. And neither is this "deal".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A friend of mine said that this is why the riverine boats where on farsi island, they were doing the money run drop, and Iran decided to slap us in the face on top of taking our money. That theory just blew my mid in both audacity and plausibility, and I can't say I blame Iran for throwing salt in the wound by taking our guys hostage to take control of the narrative..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    400 Million the Shah had paid in advance for weapons systems that has set aside waiting to be returned, but held in accounts waiting for sanctions to be lifted. It isn't our money, but on the other hand I see no reason why that money hasn't been paid out to those hostages held by Iran over the years.
    If you want to take over via a coup and operate like a bunch of pirates, don't ask the rule of law to return the money you couldn't steal because it was invested outside of the Country you stole.

I'm rather disturbed that John Kerry doesn't get that. He seems to take no issue with some of that money going forward to fund terrorism outside the borders of Iran.
    Find the the Shah's descendants and write them a cheque. Not one penny to the theocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser KAR98K View Post
    But KEV says sanctions and emargos don't work. What about quarantines? Oh wait, that almost got us in a nuclear exchange.

What other options are out there to curb a radical islamic state in creating weapons to make good on their threats? Doing nothing isn't an option. And neither is this "deal".
    Joint strikes with Israel against Iranian nuclear weapon facilities. But that would take balls. Anyone have a pair to lend to the Oval Office?
    Last edited by carolvs; 01-24-16 at 15:05.
    “Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils.”
    - General John Stark, July 31, 1809

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast