Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taser Pulse or C2?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Taser Pulse or C2?

Mods please move the post if there is a better forum for this - thank you and I apologize for the inconvenience ahead of time.

Anyway, ladies and gents:

Now that Taser is coming out with the Pulse which resembles a subcompact pistol - I'd like to ask for input regarding whether I should get a C2 or preorder the Pulse.

Few things you may want to know about my situation:

- no CCW in my county for effectively everyone
    - I'm a graduate student so carrying anything is a bad idea most of the time (school can kick people out with some Honor Code BS) - I only plan to carry it on the weekends

Main reason I'm considering the pulse is because of the pistol shape and I can potentially "train" carrying with it so when I move out to a better place and I can get my CCW with some carrying "experience" already. I also expect people coming out with Kydex holsters for the Pulse in the near future - or I can just ask someone to custom make it for me.

The Pulse is $100 more but I have a feeling it may be worth it. Any suggestions would be highly valued! Many thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd buy a pulse, but I wish it was more Shield than it is Glock26.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You're better off with pepper spray.

A civilian Taser doesn't have the same circuitry as an LE unit so the NMI (Neuro Muscular Incapacitation) isn't present in the C series units like it is in the M26/X26/X26p/X2/X3, etc.

It is a pain compliance device in which you have 1 shot to land both probes, requires sufficient stand off to get decent probe spread, runs on a battery, and is over priced.

I used to work for a Taser distributor and am very familiar with their units. Get a $10 can of OC and spend the difference on a class like MUC with SouthNarc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tasers are a tool, with advantages and quirks. They are expensive, the C2 and Pulse are single deployment, probes can miss, the suspect is fully functional when the pulses stop, and their carry may be restricted in some places. When legal and accurately deployed they are highly effective at incapacitation and allow a window of escape. Understanding these is key, and you should seek professional training on these devices.

When choosing a model, consider that the shape of the C2 says little, the Pulse says "gun".

Some like and find them compatible with their needs. Check these out for detailed C2 information:
    http://www.womenonguard.com/images/TASER-C2-manual.pdf
    https://buy.taser.com/pages/taser-c2-support

Quote Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
    A civilian Taser doesn't have the same circuitry as an LE unit so the NMI (Neuro Muscular Incapacitation) isn't present in the C series units like it is in the M26/X26/X26p/X2/X3, etc.
    Incorrect. Different model, but same essential operation and effects.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Incorrect. Different model, but same essential operation and effects.
    A C series unit ramps up and down through the 19 pulses/second range where NMI takes effect. An LE unit stays at 19 pulses/second the entire time.

That's why my buddy Dan could take a hit from a C2 and still have some voluntary muscle control.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Weo6BHoytA

Why do you say it's the same?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You're better off with pepper spray.

It is a pain compliance device in which you have 1 shot to land both probes, requires sufficient stand off to get decent probe spread, runs on a battery, and is over priced.

I used to work for a Taser distributor and am very familiar with their units. Get a $10 can of OC and spend the difference on a class like MUC with SouthNarc.

This is good information considering my research on the matter. I really wish there was a JPX that was thinner, I'd be sold on that as having all the advantages of pepper spray without the self-contamination and distance issues.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A C series unit ramps up and down through the 19 pulses/second range where NMI takes effect. An LE unit stays at 19 pulses/second the entire time.

That's why my buddy Dan could take a hit from a C2 and still have some voluntary muscle control.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Weo6BHoytA

Why do you say it's the same?
    It is indeed NMI accomplished in the same manner, even if at a different pulse delivery, and not (solely) a pain compliance device. (This is discussed in the C2 user manual I linked to, as well as the instructor-level materials distributed for the C and X series.)

I don't know Dan nor the details of his exposure. I do know first-hand of other C-deployments that were as incapacitating as the X. As you're probably aware, recipient experiences can and do vary.

I used to work for a Taser distributor and am very familiar with their units.
    Did you receive manufacturer's instructor- or user-level product certification training?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bolded the pertinenet. The X26E is the last model of the X26 before the X26P - it has been incapacitating bad guys since 2003.

Jim D - you let me hook your buddy up and see how much voluntary muscle control he has As you know there are many variables, you get two probes into a person, with 8 inches between the probes, they are going to be incapacitated. Most failures or reduced performance are due to clothing disconnects, or insufficient probe spread.

Not the similarity to energy actually delivered.

C2 output characteristics:

Wave form: Complex shaped pulse
    Pulse rate: 19 pulses per second (PPS) for 5 seconds, 12 PPS for 15 seconds, ½ second break, 19 PPS for 1.5 seconds, 8 PPS for remaining 8 seconds
    Pulse duration: 100 microseconds
    Peak open circuit voltage: 50,000 volts (V)
    Peak loaded voltage: 1,200 V
    Energy at capacitors:
    Nominal at main capacitors: 0.368 joules per pulse
    Delivered into load: 0.07 joules per pulse
    Current: 0.0021 amperes (A) (2 milliamperes average)
    2. Power Rating:
    Nominal at main capacitors: 7 watts
    Delivered into load: 1.3 watts

X26C output characteristics:

Pulse rate: 17 pulses per second (PPS) for 2 seconds, 10 PPS thereafter for up to 30 seconds total
    The trigger activates a 10-second cycle. Second and third pull increments the cycle 10 seconds each up to 30 seconds total. The cycle can be stopped by placing the safety lever in the safe position.
    Peak open circuit arcing voltage: 50,000 V
    Peak loaded voltage: 1,200 V, avg. voltage over duration of main phase 400 V, avg. over full phase 350 V, avg. over one second 0.76 V.
    Current: 1.9 mA average @ 17 PPS
    Energy per pulse:
    Nominal at main capacitors: 0.36 joules
    Delivered into load: 0.07 joules
    Power rating @ 17 PPS:
    Nominal at main capacitors: 6 watts
    Delivered into load: 1.2 watts

X26E Output characteristics:

Pulse rate: 19 pulses per second (PPS)
    The trigger activates a 5-second cycle. The cycle can be stopped by placing the safety lever in the safe position.
    Peak open circuit arcing voltage: 50,000 V
    Peak loaded voltage: 1,200 V, avg. voltage over duration of main phase 400 V, avg. over full phase 350 V, avg. over one second 0.76 V.
    Current: 2.1 mA average
    Energy per pulse:
    Nominal at main capacitors: 0.36 joules
    Delivered into load: 0.07 joules
    Power rating:
    Nominal at main capacitors: 6.84 watts
    Delivered into load: 1.33 watts

I'd get the C2 - cheaper, less gun looking.

ETA: Couldn't find pulse specs - it wasn't announced when I re-certified as an instructor.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-26-16 at 20:34.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    i work with OC/FOX on a daily basis.. ill tell you from multiple deployment experiences, people are more "afriad" of a tazer.... but FOX is a shit ton more effective.

most importantly, you can defend against several attackers with FOX, only one with a tazer...

GET THE FOX....
    "I must study politics and war so that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
    -John Adams
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Albert Einstein
    “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    It is indeed NMI accomplished in the same manner, even if at a different pulse delivery, and not (solely) a pain compliance device. (This is discussed in the C2 user manual I linked to, as well as the instructor-level materials distributed for the C and X series.)

I don't know Dan nor the details of his exposure. I do know first-hand of other C-deployments that were as incapacitating as the X. As you're probably aware, recipient experiences can and do vary.

Did you receive manufacturer's instructor- or user-level product certification training?
    Yes, went through their training, and my boss was their former head of business development (designed the X12 shotgun for them).

I've owned an X26 and a C2.

I understand that experiences may vary, but I do not place the faith in the C2 that I do in the X series products... nor has anyone else I've ever spoken to who worked for Taser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast