Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage bolt guns

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Heavy barrel is application dependent. If it is for hunting, I presume, lugging a target barrel around all day sucks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Savage bolt guns

If you're carrying your gun more than you're shooting it, stay with the sporter profile.

If you're shooting more than you're carrying, get a heavy barrel.

When hunting you're lugging the thing around and then taking one or two shots, if any. But if you want to "target shoot" that thin barrel will get very frustrating very fast. And the heavy barreled range rifle sits on the bench or mat anyway. Thin barrels are designed to make 2-3 quick, accurate, CCB shots, that's all.

Just my two cents...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "75% of gun owners would be just as happy with airsoft." - Failure2Stop

Feedback Score
    I own the camo version axis in .308. Mine came with a cheap bushel 3x9 scope. I swapped that out for a Burris Fullfield E1 6.5-20x50mm. The stock does seem cheap, but I personally haven't had any issue with it. The trigger is non adjustable but not horrible. The only complaint I have with it is the bolt handle is a little short IMHO. I'm a big guy and have big hands, add that with a pair of gloves and it adds to it. There are some aftermarket bolt handles available out there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    My Savages have always been good shooters. I'd recommend against the Axis simply for the aftermarket choices on the standard models. I have two, and they're okay, but I don't see a compelling reason not to get at least a Trophy Hunter. Even if you flip the scope for $50, the aftermarket options make it worth the small price difference. That said, my Nikon from one of the Trophy Hunters has been reliable for the last three years or so. Factory bases are junk, though, so if nothing else, no matter what gun you choose, upgrade. Talley, Leupold, a quality rail, anything better.

But my Axis rifles and 111's have all been reliable, accurate shooters. What you want to do with the gun would really determine which one you should get.

Feedback Score
    Accuracy is never the issue with Savage. Reliability and Durability is the issue.

For a hunting gun or something to sling rounds at the range. They are a cheap, accurate option with a user replaceable barrel.

For someone who will shoot a decent amount, compete, ect, then they are poor choice based on design deficiencies and poor durability (especially when hard and fast in a PRS or tactical match type situation).

For the same amount or a little more, you can get into a Tikka or Howa which are orders of magnitude better designs and manufactured. If on a budget, they are where I would be looking.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    On a hunting rig I see no point in a heavy barrel unless I'm trying to lose weight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus Pilum View Post
    Accuracy is never the issue with Savage. Reliability and Durability is the issue.

For a hunting gun or something to sling rounds at the range. They are a cheap, accurate option with a user replaceable barrel.

For someone who will shoot a decent amount, compete, ect, then they are poor choice based on design deficiencies and poor durability (especially when hard and fast in a PRS or tactical match type situation).

For the same amount or a little more, you can get into a Tikka or Howa which are orders of magnitude better designs and manufactured. If on a budget, they are where I would be looking.

id be interested in knowing about these design deficiencies in a prs match.

my savage 10pc 5r has a LOT of range time and havent had any issues with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clschicago View Post
    id be interested in knowing about these design deficiencies in a prs match.

my savage 10pc 5r has a LOT of range time and havent had any issues with it.
    Poor Ejection
    Poor Feeding
    Notorious for small parts failure
    Bolt sticks and is difficult to lift
    Unrefined and rough to operate bolt
    Trigger is garbage
    Stock is garbage
    No matter how much money you throw into it, you cant fix its reliability problems. Anyone who has shot/taught a high vollume course of fire or class with a savage rifle knows what I am talking about.

After ATK bought them, they have only gotten worse. Much like Freedom group with remington.

There are too many good, quality built designs to base your system off now to throw money away on a savage. Same can be said for Remington, but they can at least be fixed to a serviceable level with enough money dumped into them.

Just because you haven't seen an issue, really doesn't mean much either way. Hundreds of thousands of guns out there and more than a few people have tried to run PRS or tactical matches with them only to come away disappointed.
    Shooting rounds on a square range with good conditions and slow fire is not the same ballgame. Too many superior choices for similar money to every consider a savage. Its not even debatable.

Feedback Score
    The Accutrigger seems to have a lot of favorable reviews.

Feedback Score
    By fudds who have never shot a real trigger. Legacy M70 trigger with a tune job blows them out of the water, not to mention factory tikka and howas. Then you can get into the timney, jewels, hubers,ect which are on a different level.

Accutrigger is failure prone, which is par for the course in savage rifles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast