Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which SPR barrel?

Feedback Score

Which SPR barrel?

Hi, I am changing out a barrel on a Bushy 16" carbine. I need to go with an 18" 8 twist with a rifle gas system.

I like the idea of a chrome lined barrel as well. Is CMMG the only place to find this? I have heard good things about them shooting MOA or so after 6-8k rounds. I will be running a suppressor and 77gr SMK bullets.

Thanks for the input from your experience.

Hoop

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I am a big fan of The White Oak Armament 18: SPR Stainless Steel Match Grade Barrel w/M4 Extension.
    I know it is not a a chrome lined barrel but if you are going to run 77gr SMK bullets I would go with a SS Barrel. It can be seen:
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...product_id=449
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    I also like WOA SPR profile barrel. You can't really go wrong with any good barrel these days.

- Noveske
    - Krieger
    - Douglas

My $0.02.

Feedback Score
    What is the life expectancy of a SS barrel? I had heard that on the CL barrel, the accuracy gradually falls off, but the SS kinda dumps one day with flyers but is more accurate.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    The accuracy of a SS barrel is much better. The lifespan of the barrel is less but the accuracy is so much better. If you are building a rifle for anything longer than 200m I would say go with the SS barrel. If you want a rifle for shooting large amounts of ammo, eg.. carbine classes or tactical work, go with a chrome lined barrel. A SS barrel will start to lose accuracy gradually just like a chrome lined barrel.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    most will not shoot out a SS barrel on a precision gun. Ussually SPR type guns get shot from a bench or prone and shoot carefully placed shots, in other words they aren't blasters so i would not worry about barrel life with it. If you want a rifle length gas system i would go with Krieger personally, if a mid length is Ok then your options open up alot more.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. I am happy with MOA accuracy for this rifle. I feel a Chrome lined barrel should be capable of that out to 700 yds with good glass.

It is a 2-300 meter rifle as is. I want an all around durable rifle and like the idea of a CL chamber/bore.

I guess we will see. I am selling the 16" factory barrel if anyone needs it. 100 rounds fired factory heavy 16".

Feedback Score
    i used the WOA SPR barrel for my Mk12Mod0 build and it has functioned flawlessly. Noveske, Douglas, Kreiger... all good barrels...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In terms of chrome lining, remember that you are not comparing a chromed lined CM barrel with a non-lined CM barrel. You are comparing a chromed CM barrel with a non-chromed Stainless steel barrel. There is a difference. The primary reason for the chrome is corrosion resistance. The secondary benefit is wear resistance. the trade off is accuracy. You will get corrosion resistance with the SS barrel. Wear is another matter, but it is negligable.

Boltgun

Feedback Score

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast