Thread: PSA 9mm AR's

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

PSA 9mm AR's

Do you have one of these and how do you like it? With USPSA considering a carbine division this would be a fun gun.
    Earth has always been a dangerous place to live, be prepared!

Feedback Score
    I was looking into this for a pistol build back around Christmas. But everything was out of stock, and I want to finish the AR build I'm working on now anyways. So I put that on hold. But I've never actually had experiences with anything PSA, I just bought a pictogram lower they had on sale really cheap. Haven't assembled it yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I don't have a PSA, but a CMMG 9mm, so I can't give you brand-specific feedback. But I have used the pistol in the PCC (pistol-caliber carbine) class of our 2-gun matches and they DO have pros/cons compared to the rifle/pistol guys, running head-to-head. It all depends on course design. Using a red dot makes them even faster.

Having said that, be aware the ergos on the pistol are very different, and it is actually more difficult to shoulder the short recoil tube than to develop an instinctive cheek rest. I won't even go into the controversy about "shouldering" these pistols vis-a-vis ATF "interpretations".

In closing, remember that these are blowback designs and can get dirty real quick, especially with steel case ammo, and the well-known issues of chamber sticking and difficulty in extraction. Not a good characteristic in a competition gun. It can be ammo-sensitive.

Some of these run well right out of the box and some don't. And some develop problems a couple of hundred rounds down the road. Tuning was necessary in my case.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mister2 View Post
    I don't have a PSA, but a CMMG 9mm, so I can't give you brand-specific feedback. But I have used the pistol in the PCC (pistol-caliber carbine) class of our 2-gun matches and they DO have pros/cons compared to the rifle/pistol guys, running head-to-head. It all depends on course design. Using a red dot makes them even faster.

Having said that, be aware the ergos on the pistol are very different, and it is actually more difficult to shoulder the short recoil tube than to develop an instinctive cheek rest. I won't even go into the controversy about "shouldering" these pistols vis-a-vis ATF "interpretations".

In closing, remember that these are blowback designs and can get dirty real quick, especially with steel case ammo, and the well-known issues of chamber sticking and difficulty in extraction. Not a good characteristic in a competition gun. It can be ammo-sensitive.

Some of these run well right out of the box and some don't. And some develop problems a couple of hundred rounds down the road. Tuning was necessary in my case.

Good luck!
    Did you build it or buy it completed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I bought one. It doesn't work for nothing.

The upper came assembled with bolt carrier group. There was a magazine block, buffer, and spring. I assembled it on a working lower. All it does is feed a round at about a 45 degree angle into the chamber and jam. I have tried 115, 124 and 147 grain bullets as well as round nose and truncated cone as well as hollow point and FMJ. Everything jams equally.

I have another AR pistol in 9mm that runs fine with anything you feed it. I put the PSA upper on it, and jam city. I can't put the pistol upper, 9 inch barrel, on the rifle lower for SBR reasons.

The problem seems to be a sharp chamber mouth that cuts into the cartridge case. A little polishing on the bolt face and chamber, some day, may smooth things out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    I bought one. It doesn't work for nothing.

The upper came assembled with bolt carrier group. There was a magazine block, buffer, and spring. I assembled it on a working lower. All it does is feed a round at about a 45 degree angle into the chamber and jam. I have tried 115, 124 and 147 grain bullets as well as round nose and truncated cone as well as hollow point and FMJ. Everything jams equally.

I have another AR pistol in 9mm that runs fine with anything you feed it. I put the PSA upper on it, and jam city. I can't put the pistol upper, 9 inch barrel, on the rifle lower for SBR reasons.

The problem seems to be a sharp chamber mouth that cuts into the cartridge case. A little polishing on the bolt face and chamber, some day, may smooth things out.

So what brand upper do you have on the one that works?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Did you build it or buy it completed?
    Someone else built it. Basically a CMMG 8.5" barrel upper and lower with a Hahn subgun buffer and a Thorsden cheek rest. Magpul K2 grip has the angle that really works for this application.

It initially ran well with steel case and then started to have FTF with the last shell caught between the new round and the chamber. I've cleaned out the chamber and will see if it still jams. Then I'll try brass-cased.

I don't keep guns that can't shoot all ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardnaaa View Post
    So what brand upper do you have on the one that works?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It was a complete upper from GEMTECH.
    Last edited by jack crab; 01-28-16 at 20:41.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have a PSA 9mm upper on a PSA stripped lower with Spikes Tactical magblock, Spikes ST-9X buffer and Wolff extra power buffer spring. It had a few bugs when I first built it, but has come together well. Getting the magblock positioned correctly in the lower was critical, and took some tweeking.

I tried to use a Troy ambi mag release but the mags would not lock in properly, but milspec mag release works fine. I use PSA, Metalform and Promag mags, all work well.

Also, with the heavy buffer and buffer spring, it does not like some brands of ammo (TulAmmo) but feeds and functions perfectly with most brands including Winchester white box, Wolf steel cased and Federal.

I have been very happy with it and shoot it often.