Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howa rifles?

Feedback Score

Howa rifles?

Was browsing the local Sportsman's Warehouse today and noticed that they had a few bolt guns in OD plastic stocks that were made by Howa. Never heard of this brand before today. Looks like they make a range of bolt guns in various calibers. Any positive/negative experiences with this particular brand?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Howa were made in Japan and are or at least used to be of excellent quality, most of the Japan made guns were high quality the AR-180, Winchester 86 and others, I believe the S&W line of bolt guns were made by Howa. If they have a feature set you want and price is good they should be gtg.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've never heard a bad thing about them...Someone correct me if I'm wrong, But weren't Weatherby rifles made in the last few years Howa's or Howa actions?
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    HOWA rifles are made in Japan. They use cold hammer forged barrels and two-stage triggers, unless otherwise noted. I've handled many but have never shot one. They seem to have excellent fit and finish, but I can't speak to their accuracy potential at all. They appear to be in the $600-$1200 range based on model (basic hogue stock and blue finish to lightweight stainless hunter versions). They offer a lot of combo packages with Nikko-Sterling scopes, but I've also seen combos with Vortex scopes.
    "Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" - Patrick Henry

Feedback Score
    Is Nikko-Sterling supposed to be an el-cheapo brand?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you have any experience with Weatherby Vanguard rifles, then you have experience with Howa rifles, that is, the Vanguard barreled actions are mfr'd by Howa in Japan.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Howa 1500 action is superb. Many bench rest shooters barrel the action for comp. The Vanguard is the 1500, another proven rifle. The Vanguard sub moa models are truly impressive for $800-1000. You can't go wrong with a Howa. I do recommend the Timmney replacement trigger. Super easy, two screws.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Arpent View Post
    If you have any experience with Weatherby Vanguard rifles, then you have experience with Howa rifles, that is, the Vanguard barreled actions are mfr'd by Howa in Japan.
    This. The Howa 1500 and the Weatherby Vanguard series share the same barreled actions with cold hammer-forged barrels. I own a .308 Vanguard and it is an excellent rifle. I wouldn't hesitate on a Howa at the right price.

Feedback Score
    My experience with Howa is through the Weatherby Vanguard. Real nice rifles. Accurate, decent price. The triggers can be hit and miss but the Timney is nice and cheaper than the Jewell triggers in my 700's.

Feedback Score
    My cousin bought a bull barreled 243 from Legacy, that was a Howa. It came in a Hogue over-molded rubber stock.

Very nice rifle! Very accurate, too. It has become his go-to coyote rifle for years now.

Yes, the Howa is basically a Weatherby Vanguard without the Weatherby price tag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast