Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Howa rifles?

Feedback Score
    I have a Howa 1500 308 varminter with a 20" barrel. I bought it several years ago while deciding between it, a R700 SPS Tactical, and a Tika T3-CTR.

The Howa won out because the action is well machined, has a flat bottom for easy bedding, beefy integral recoil lug, comes with a vented 1 piece machined bolt, and has a reputation for being very square from the factory.

The downside is that the aftermarket support is thinner than Remington. You can still get parts (I have a manners stock, PTG detachable bottom metal, and will drop in a Timney trigger if I ever get tired of already good factory trigger), but you won't have the endless variety of parts from every category. Also, gun smith support is harder because the Howa uses metric threads on the barrel. It shouldn't be an issue for any competent machinist, but many don't want to go through the effort.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Howa makes an excellent rifle; I have one. Superb actions.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Brownells recently posted a YouTube video of new products announcing that they are now carrying Howa barreled actions.

Feedback Score
    Recently picked up a Howa 1500 in .243(scoped package) which been sittng in my lgs for about 2yrs according to my dealer. $650 otd. recently shot a 50y and 100y using my handloads and surprisingly accurate, these Howas recently got my attention....seems very good rifles for the $$$

chiefkeff Guest
    they are some kinda japanese military weapon company....feel free to read up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howa

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mod Edit: Dude...not only to we have this, we have it WAY better than you do.

Feedback Score
    Just picked this up - Howa 1500 in .308 with 20 inch heavy barrel. Dipped in Kryptek's "Highlander" pattern.

I would imagine that a shorter barrel loses some velocity. At, say, 300 yards is it enough to notice?

Last edited by Slater; 05-14-16 at 16:34.

Feedback Score
    ^^Nice, was seriously considering one of those. But my lgs had a deal I couldn't pass up $650 axiom stock/scope package.
    But the stock was flimsy for me. How my Howa 1500 currently sits

Feedback Score
    For anyone who might be in the market, Whittaker Guns in KY has some pretty good deals going on these. I just bought the 223Rem lightweight version with an OD green stock for $347 delivered.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    For anyone who might be in the market, Whittaker Guns in KY has some pretty good deals going on these. I just bought the 223Rem lightweight version with an OD green stock for $347 delivered.
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking for a mini action in 6.5G. Looks like I found it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast