Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PWS MK2 Good .308?

Feedback Score

PWS MK2 Good .308?

I don't see much review about this rifle. The MK214 Mod 1 seems interesting with long stroke piston. Anybody have recent experience with this. It has tha same FSC flash hider that the scar 17 has does it shoot the same? Most reviews I see are 2 years or older.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've looked high and low on the net also. There just isn't much out there on them.

I think it has to do with the fact that they cost more than a scar even.

When that day comes, I'm just going to go to Boise and try one out. The locals laughed at me when I asked to run a mag through one before I dropped 3k.

Feedback Score
    It's suppose to be a cross between AK and AR this would be the last review I've seen https://youtu.be/tG-t7OAdowc

Feedback Score
    Although Omaha Outdoors is selling it for 2300

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowme01 View Post
    Anybody have recent experience with this.
    I have a MK216. What would you like to know?

The current MK2 Mod1 is really a MK2 Mod1.5. I have an original Mod1 (produced for maybe half a year), which has different receivers (SI-Defense billet vs Mod1.5 forged), came with a different buffer(CAR vs Mod1.5 PWS H2/H3), the MK216 version had a shorter rail (12" vs Mod1.5 15"), and didn't have an NP3 coated BCG or piston.

I will say that mine has had issues, but PWS' customer service has been among the best (I just got my rifle back last week with a new barrel).
    Last edited by Plasman; 02-03-16 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    Did you have the adjustable gas block and FSC FH. Recoil? Cause I'm looking at the 14.5 inch barrel. What kind of issues were you having? How far is the accuracy?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    What kind of issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    I have a MK216. What would you like to know?

The current MK2 Mod1 is really a MK2 Mod1.5. I have an original Mod1 (produced for maybe half a year), which has different receivers (SI-Defense billet vs Mod1.5 forged), came with a different buffer(CAR vs Mod1.5 PWS H2/H3), the MK216 version had a shorter rail (12" vs Mod1.5 15"), and didn't have an NP3 coated BCG or piston.

I will say that mine has had issues, but PWS' customer service has been among the best (I just got my rifle back last week with a new barrel).

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I don't see much review about this rifle. The MK214 Mod 1 seems interesting with long stroke piston. Anybody have recent experience with this. It has tha same FSC flash hider that the scar 17 has does it shoot the same? Most reviews I see are 2 years or older.

They make that flash hider in house for the SCAR.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Did you have the adjustable gas block and FSC FH. Recoil? Cause I'm looking at the 14.5 inch barrel. What kind of issues were you having? How far is the accuracy?

1) The adjustable gas block hasn't changed from the Mod1 to Mod1.5. I don't really notice any difference between settings one and two with M80 ball or whatever match ammo I've shot (I leave it on setting 2).

2) Mine did come with the FSC30. It's a good device, but I swapped it out with a Griffin Flash Comp to be a bit less blasty to those around me.

3) Recoil isn't bad at all with the heavier buffer (I swapped the CAR for an H3 in mine, I believe it PWS supplies it with an H2 now). Recoil wasn't really bad with the original CAR buffer either. I'd even say it's better (with the H3) than my MWS with 16" CL barrel and H3 buffer (16" SS barrel with rifle-length gas system is a different story).

4) The barrel is capable of sub-MOA accuracy. I'm not that great of a shooter, but I've pulled off just under .75 MOA, five-shot groups with this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason0311 View Post
    What kind of issues?
    The majority of issues I've had related to this gun have been due to the firing pin and chamber. The original chamber on my rifle was cut super tightly. Whether I used M80 ball or match ammo I'd get cratered and flattened primers and ejector swipe. CBC M80 ball was particularly bad with lots of popped primers (failure rate of at least 1 in 10rnds).

One summer when I was shooting in 105F weather the gun completely locked up on me. When I finally got it apart I found out that my primers were getting punctured by the firing pin and the force of the primer flow pushing the pin back had been so strong that the firing pin broke the firing pin retaining pin. PWS determined that my firing pin was slightly out of spec (too long), replaced it, and my bolt as well (got one of the Mod1.5 NP3 bolts).

After receiving the rifle back I started to inspect my brass more closely and still saw signs of high pressure (although not as severe as before). I waited till the temperature cooled and still saw the signs so I asked PWS about it and they wanted to take the rifle back again. This time they said they would try to open up the throat to relieve the pressure. When I received the rifle back I still saw the high pressure signs, although I never encountered any malfunctions due to them. At a precision rifle course late last year the instructor, Mike Lamb, said that it was still unacceptable and that I should contact PWS again.

This past December I noticed that the bolt catch pin had fallen out (on the SI-D lower it's a screwed in pin) and that it originally wasn't installed with thread locker. I contacted PWS about it and also mentioned the high pressure signs again and they wanted to take the rifle back for the third time. They confirmed with me that the new bolt catch pin would be installed with thread locker and after examining my barrel, they'd install a new one. I asked them specifically to examine the brass during testing to see if the high pressure signs remained. With the new barrel no ejector swipe was seen on the brass, and the primer wasn't flattened, however there was still primer flow (cratering) around the firing pin. PWS determined this was due to a radius at the opening of the firing pin through hole on the bolt. They told me that they'd implement a design change to the bolt to get rid of that radius and that when the new bolt revision came out they'd send me one.

When I got my rifle back last week I saw that PWS had sent the test firing brass with it so I could see that the high pressure signs were gone. I broke it in a bit this past weekend and this coming weekend I'm hoping to see how well it does out to 1k yards (or however far it can make it).

The only other issue I've had with this rifle is that the receiver extension started to wobble a bit due to the two set screws at the top loosening up. Once I retightened them I didn't have that issue again, but I swapped the EBT out for a VLTOR A5, 7-position tube for more adjustments. One thing to note with that, is that the .308 EBT is actually a bit shorter internally than an AR-10 pattern receiver extension and the shoulder of the PWS MK2 carrier extends about 1/8" further back than every other .308AR carrier I've seen. This will lead to the shoulder colliding with the receiver extension thread area/lower receiver unless some shims are added to the rear of an AR-10 pattern receiver extension (in my case, two quarters).
    Last edited by Plasman; 02-03-16 at 12:35.

Feedback Score
    How long ago did you say you purchased your firearm?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast