Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DMR/SPR rifle barrels

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

DMR/SPR rifle barrels

Im looking at re-barreling my latest build to have a stainless precision barrel. I've been reading through some of the most recent threads and have noticed, especially in eurodriver's thread, that the main barrels for this job include Kreiger, bartlein, WOA, Douglas, Shilen and maybe a couple others like Rainier and BCM. What I have noticed is that the majority of these barrels are button rifled with the exception being Shilen. What's the reasoning for this?

Is there a particular reason companies like Noveske and V7 are missing from the convo with their polygonal rifling and match chambers? Is it length? I know they don't offer beyond an 18", but is that a deal breaker?

I should probably mention I'm looking really hard at V7's 18" stainless barrel 1/7", rifle gas, polygonal, match chamber, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Feedback Score
    Button rifling is the cheapest and quickest way to rifle a barrel. Most likely they are inexpensive enough with a high level of accuracy. Are you wanting to use a cut rifled barrel of something? Your question isn't clear.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I suppose the answer is yes if polygonal rifling and cut rifling are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Go with a ballistic advantage barrel. They have a 1 moa accuracy guarantee and can be found for around 200 for a SS 223 wylde. Let's be honest, can most of us really out perform our rifles capabilities? Not really. And for that price and the quality they present. Dont really think its work it to spend 400 bucks on a barrel. Plus they are partners with aero precision

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Polygonal is a shape, cut rifling is the method.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by labeef View Post
    Go with a ballistic advantage barrel. They have a 1 moa accuracy guarantee and can be found for around 200 for a SS 223 wylde. Let's be honest, can most of us really out perform our rifles capabilities? Not really. And for that price and the quality they present. Dont really think its work it to spend 400 bucks on a barrel. Plus they are partners with aero precision

my understanding is that Aero precision acquired them, not that they are partners.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    my understanding is that Aero precision acquired them, not that they are partners.
    That's true thanks for the clarification

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

I have a couple of shorter BA barrels that have been good for their intended uses, standard accuracy with standard ammo. I have been considering their 223 Wylde 20" DMR barrel for the next upper I'm building but haven't seen too much on it's accuracy. Anyone have any experience?

Side note, I don't see any issues spending top dollar on a good barrel as you always remove that doubt of is it me or the barrel thought in your mind. JMO. Precision shooting to me is that never ending quest to get the group a little smaller on a consistent basis. That's what I love about it, the challenge.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If you really want consistent accuracy, you need to bump size and handload.

Every polygonal barrel I know of on the market is button rifled. That being said, polygonal rifling is a style, whereas the lands aren't 90 degrees from the grooves. They can be easier to clean, and may deform some very think jacketed bullets less. Overall the type of rifling employed is only one part of the total equation that makes a barrel. Poorly executed, all of the whizz bang features in the world are for nothing. Look more for the overall package then singular features.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Go with a ballistic advantage barrel. They have a 1 moa accuracy guarantee and can be found for around 200 for a SS 223 wylde. Let's be honest, can most of us really out perform our rifles capabilities?
    How can you ever be sure of that unless you KNOW the rifle and ammo is better than you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast