Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DMR/SPR rifle barrels

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    If you really want consistent accuracy, you need to bump size and handload.

Every polygonal barrel I know of on the market is button rifled. That being said, polygonal rifling is a style, whereas the lands aren't 90 degrees from the grooves. They can be easier to clean, and may deform some very think jacketed bullets less. Overall the type of rifling employed is only one part of the total equation that makes a barrel. Poorly executed, all of the whizz bang features in the world are for nothing. Look more for the overall package then singular features.
    I guess I didn't do my homework enough. I was under the impression that polygonal was a type of cut rifling. You bring up a good with the total equation, though. I've contacted John Hollinger at White Oak Precision, and it actually seems like I'll save money going with a Krieger barrel. I figured it would have cost more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Kriegers barrels are cut rifled.

$440 for a 20" chambered ready to bolt on to your upper is a pretty good deal for the quality you get.

And it's only a 2 week lead time right now.

Feedback Score
    I'd love to see some feedback on the Noveske barrels Wes Grant at MSTN is using in his builds. He always had some really good shooting guns and if he's spec'ing a special barrel chances are it will shoot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Kriegers barrels are cut rifled.

$440 for a 20" chambered ready to bolt on to your upper is a pretty good deal for the quality you get.

And it's only a 2 week lead time right now.
    Nice! This is what I'll be getting as soon as I get paid! That's a pretty good deal if you consider a Noveske is $100 more and Molon can hold his to just under 1/2 MOA. I think The best I've seen in that price range is an 18" barrel with a 1 MOA guarantee.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I think the Noveske comes with a gas block (and maybe even a gas tube) which the Krieger does not. So the price isn't that much less but the $440 does include shipping FWIW. The 16" is even less money, I believe $50 less.

My only gripe with the Krieger is that the gas block area is not dimpled.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I sent a Bartlein blank to Craddock precision and had 10.5" and 16.5" barrels turned from it for $155 each. The blank was 7.7 twist and was $380. Once finished, with shipping to and from included, I got two awesome barrels for under $400 each. Turn around time was two weeks if I remember correctly.
    Justin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

These were ten shot groups out of a ss 18" BA bbl at 100 yards with factory magtec 55 grain 5.56 I'm very impressed with this bbl

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattieb View Post

These were ten shot groups out of a ss 18" BA bbl at 100 yards with factory magtec 55 grain 5.56 I'm very impressed with this bbl
    That's pretty good! What's the twist and gas length? Have you tried a longer range like 600 yds?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The FNG View Post
    That's pretty good! What's the twist and gas length? Have you tried a longer range like 600 yds?
    Riffle gas 1/8 twist 223 Wilde. My rang only has 100 for now this summer I'm gonna take it to a buddy's Farm and stretch it out as much as I can. Thanks for looking. Gisele sd-e mur upper and Gisele mk8 15" ff rail

Feedback Score
    The best barrels typically are Cut. The way the top dogs like Bartlien, Hawk Hilll, Krieger and K&P do it imparts less stress on the barrel and results in a barrel that 99.9% of the time will shoot 3/8 moa with quality chambering and build quality. Button rifling is a cheaper and easier method to rifle, hence why it is much more popular. By pulling the metal through it imparts stress and if not correctly stress releived ( even then some are beyond fixing) will be a poor shooter. HF can also make some very nice barrels (see Sako TRG 5 shots 1 moa and Tikka Barrels 3 shots 1 moa guarantees) but all things being equal the quality cut rifle barrel will be more accurate.

Now that doesn't mean you can't have an accurate button rifled barrel, there are plenty of records set with button rifled barrels. The difference is you have a much higher chance of a poor or marginal shooter with button rifled than with cut. To do a rebarrel on a trued/custom action you are looking at $300-400 for the blank, $300 for the chambeing, $100-200 for threading and $100-200 for coating. So if your spending $700-1200 to rebarrel then cheaping out and saving $50 or $100 is penny wise pound foolish. What happens when the barrel doesn't shoot? Sometimes they will give you 2 more barrels to make up for the cost, but you are still spending way more money and have long downtime instead of doing it right the first time.

The 4 names I mentioned are all proven brands (and there are a couple other small outfits) who if chambered right, you are almost guaranteed to get a rifle that will shoot bugholes.

Krieger & Bartlien would be my choice for a 5.56 barrel with AR barrel extension installed. Both offer those options. When spending that kind of time and money, I'm not willing to play the barrel lottery. I want a shooter every time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast