Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Lav class would you take?

Feedback Score

Which Lav class would you take?

So this summer their are two classes that Larry vickers is teaching close enough for me to go to. Probably can only get the time for one. One class is a 1911 pistol class, the other a carbine class. I'm interested in both but have to choose one. I've never taken a formal class unless you count the ccw classes to get my permit. Which one would you guys suggest I take? I'm leaning towards the 1911 class because I di carry a pistol on a regular basis. But pistol classes are a little more prevalent around here than carbine classes

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'd definitely go with the carbine. I assume that Larry's 1911 class is excellent and would have many things in it that would apply to all varieties of pistol shooting, but I wouldn't pass up a chance to learn carbine from Mr Vickers himself

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Very tough.
    I'd take carbine as well, only because I've taken several handgun classes.
    In your situation IF your are quite familiar with your 1911, I believe a handgun class is more of a necessity than a carbine class. I have not read a course description, but I imagine its not exactly introductory level.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    1911 class. You're more likely to need your CCW than any other platform unless you wear a uniform for a living. And if you carry a 1911, the class on it will be invaluable. It's not that I don't recommend a Carbine class, but there are many good carbine class opportunities, but very few 1911 classes like the Vickers one. I assume you're talking about the two day operator class, and not the "build your own 1911 from scratch" class

Feedback Score
    Yes the two day operator class

Feedback Score
    I was thinking the same thing about the 1911 class, but being as I have not taken classes like this before I don't know what will do me the most real world good. I try to be smart enough to realize what I don't know.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not sure if you have made you decision, but here is my 2 cents. I’ve taken Vickers’ pistol and carbine classes over the years. What do you want – to enhance you skills with your 1911 or your carbine? You will shoot more in the carbine class that in the 1911 Operator, which is essentially I day on the range and one day in the classroom tearing it apart, learning what to look for in the components and finally function checks back on the range. Both are excellent with plenty of take-away’s for your notebook! Good luck and enjoy..................
    Regards,
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger325 View Post
    Not sure if you have made you decision, but here is my 2 cents. I’ve taken Vickers’ pistol and carbine classes over the years. What do you want – to enhance you skills with your 1911 or your carbine? You will shoot more in the carbine class that in the 1911 Operator, which is essentially I day on the range and one day in the classroom tearing it apart, learning what to look for in the components and finally function checks back on the range. Both are excellent with plenty of take-away’s for your notebook! Good luck and enjoy..................
    Thank you for your input! The 1911 says 800 rds, the carbine says 800 rds carbine, 150 pistol. I think I'm leaning more towards the 1911because I want to learn more about it internally too, what to look for in parts and maybe some minor repairs. Is that covered?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    ......I want to learn more about it internally too, what to look for in parts and maybe some minor repairs. Is that covered?
    Absolutely. We did a detailed disassembly and LAV shows you what to look for in each component and will make corrections on the spot if possible. Lots of good info from the guy who knows.

PS And, not surprisingly there is no shortage of opinion on manufacturers, parts, kit, etc. A great experience!
    Last edited by Ranger325; 02-11-16 at 13:37.
    Regards,
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Is Vickers the only option in your area this year?
    Matthew 10:28

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast