Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Lav class would you take?

Feedback Score
    Just shoot factory at class...and you'll probably be able to collect your brass at least if not more than what you brung. If not, oh well.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    i've got four or five of Larry's classes under my belt. Unfortunately the one I have missed so far is the 1911. On the ammo definitely take factory. Some other things I would say make sure you have an appropriate number of good quality magazines. A good holster, as far as I know Serpa is still not allowed. Take rain gear.

Every class I have taken I have had a backup gun in the bag. So I think your RIA in there is appropriate. People always say take note taking material but I never do. That said I would absolutely take notes in this one. While it's not the builders class it's still going to be a gold mine of technical info. Especially on keeping some things tweaked and running like, for example, the extractor.

I've recently started hosting classes and I would dearly love to bring the 1911 class to my area.
    Sig Sauer LE Armorer
    Glock LE Armorer
    Colt AR15/M16 Armorer
    T.O.S.S. (Tactical Officer Survival School) inst. Tom Long
    Vicker's Tactical Pistol 1 & 2 Carbine 1 Advanced carbine Inst. Larry Vickers
    Intermediate pistol Inst. Ken Hackathorn
    Combat Speed Inst. Dave Harrington
    Performance Pistol Inst. Frank Proctor

Feedback Score
    Just finished with the 1911 course today. Was a lot to download, and probably missed more than I caught but enjoyed it, a lot. Ran almost 550 rds, and against all recommendations I ran my personal reloads through the whole thing without problem. Yesterday I wasn't to sure about the cost vs reward, but after the detailed disassembly I realized how important and glad I was to take the class. Then when we went and shot today, I realized how much I actually learned shooting Yesterday. It wasn't apparent to me what I'd actually learned and how helpful yesterday actually was. Just took some time to sink in.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Just finished with the 1911 course today. Was a lot to download, and probably missed more than I caught but enjoyed it, a lot. Ran almost 550 rds, and against all recommendations I ran my personal reloads through the whole thing without problem. Yesterday I wasn't to sure about the cost vs reward, but after the detailed disassembly I realized how important and glad I was to take the class. Then when we went and shot today, I realized how much I actually learned shooting Yesterday. It wasn't apparent to me what I'd actually learned and how helpful yesterday actually was. Just took some time to sink in.

When you have time, post an AAR in the training sub-forum. Many members have asked about the 1911-specific class.

I took the class prior to yours. My AAR here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-June-3-4-2016
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I have run 1911s exclusively in his pistol classes. His 1911 class is THE 1911 class to have. Like taking a driving class from a NASCAR racer.

Feedback Score
    It was tough, because of all the malfunctions. He said it was the class with the most malfunctions he'd ever taught.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agr1279 View Post
    Don't be that guy. You are already paying for a LAV class so buy new or quality reloads like BH. Remember others also paid for the class and nothing pisses me off like someone trying to go cheap and screwing me in the process.

Dan
    It's a class entirely of 1911s. There's going to be malfunctions and the line will be slowed down.

Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    It was tough, because of all the malfunctions. He said it was the class with the most malfunctions he'd ever taught.

Beat me to it!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderRogue View Post
    It's a class entirely of 1911s. There's going to be malfunctions and the line will be slowed down.

Beat me to it!
    It really impressed on me three things, sub $1k 1911s make great paper weights, better to wet than not wet enough, and quality ammo makes all the difference.

I ran all reloads there. Granted each one was drop tested before I went. If it didn't pass the plunk test it didn't go. It was factory ammo they were having problems with, due to lack of crimp and the case catching on the way into the chamber coming off the feed ramp.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123