Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt gun or AR10

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Freethought View Post
    By the way I've a Savage set up in one of Kinetics 180 Alpha chassis , have not a single negative item ro relate about the rig. Some may consider the initial price to be a bit high but considering what you get I personally don't think do.

Will like go the similar route with a Vanguard ( Howa) based rig I'm working on and utilise the 180 X-Ray.
    Different strokes for different folks. Personally I think the AR look is ugly. Now I love them and love building them. and I am sure that chassis works great on a precision rifle

but I want my bolt gun to look like a real rifle not some Si-Fi space gun.

hell I still like a nice walnut stock.

but I am old

I am partial to the laminated wood benchrest stocks for target guns and synthetic stocks for hunting guns but they need to look more traditional.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoodyar15 View Post
    Different strokes for different folks. Personally I think the AR look is ugly. Now I love them and love building them. and I am sure that chassis works great on a precision rifle

but I want my bolt gun to look like a real rifle not some Si-Fi space gun.

hell I still like a nice walnut stock.

but I am old

I am partial to the laminated wood benchrest stocks for target guns and synthetic stocks for hunting guns but they need to look more traditional.

I don't build a rifle for looks , I could care less about how a given weapon looks. I build something for how it works for *me*. As I have previously stated , there are more than 40 bolt rifles currently in residence here , they come and go and range from .20 Vartarg on up to .416 rem mag , many of 'em do have wooden , wood laminate and synthetic type traditional stocks. Actions range from Sako , Weatherby , Model 70 and Savage to Stiller and Panda.

A question was asked about a specific aftermarket chassis , I answered with feedback based on my direct experience. As for being "old" I doubt that you're much more ancient than I am , if at all. I'm old enough to still remember the valve adjustment specs on my first Norton Commando and how narrow the powerband on a DBD34 Gold Star actually was , old enough to have run Ascot on Astros and later on Champion framed Triumphs.

And yes the chassis available from Kinetic DO work for a precision rifle , which is of course why I used the one I refered to and have used others.

To each their own , but as stated I build to a specific purpose and looks are more or less immaterial to me.

Feedback Score
    I don't build a rifle for looks , I could care less about how a given weapon looks. I build something for how it works for *me*. As I have previously stated , there are more than 40 bolt rifles currently in residence here , they come and go and range from .20 Vartarg on up to .416 rem mag , many of 'em do have wooden , wood laminate and synthetic type traditional stocks. Actions range from Sako , Weatherby , Model 70 and Savage to Stiller and Panda.

A question was asked about a specific aftermarket chassis , I answered with feedback based on my direct experience. As for being "old" I doubt that you're much more ancient than I am , if at all. I'm old enough to still remember the valve adjustment specs on my first Norton Commando and how narrow the powerband on a DBD34 Gold Star actually was , old enough to have run Ascot on Astros and later on Champion framed Triumphs.

And yes the chassis available from Kinetic DO work for a precision rifle , which is of course why I used the one I refered to and have used others.

To each their own , but as stated I build to a specific purpose and looks are more or less immaterial to me.
    no offense meant

it is just my old azz opinion on rifles

the tactical stuff leaves me cold. I would feel pretty silly carrying an AR type rifle deer hunting.

but that is just me.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    no offense meant

it is just my old azz opinion on rifles

the tactical stuff leaves me cold. I would feel pretty silly carrying an AR type rifle deer hunting.

but that is just me.
    So I have to ask: then why hang out here on a forum pretty much dedicated to a single tactical carbine?

I love classics as much as anyone, and now especially sporterized mausers. I grew up reading Jack O'Conner and my 2nd rrifle as a kid was a model 70 in .270.

But I killed my first deer with an HK91, because its what I had at the time. (270 was stolen)

Remember, your classic hunting bolt gun is derived from a state of the art tactical rifle (Mauser).

I'm sure the trap door Springfield and muzzle loader hunters in the 1890s grumbled about the new tactical mausers and their unnecessary high capacity and untraditional looks! Who needs 5 shots to kill a deer! It's a mouse round, 30 cal is just a tiny pull. Real guns smoke! Real guns have levers!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    So I have to ask: then why hang out here on a forum pretty much dedicated to a single tactical carbine?

I love classics as much as anyone, and now especially sporterized mausers. I grew up reading Jack O'Conner and my 2nd rrifle as a kid was a model 70 in .270.

But I killed my first deer with an HK91, because its what I had at the time. (270 was stolen)

Remember, your classic hunting bolt gun is derived from a state of the art tactical rifle (Mauser).

I'm sure the trap door Springfield and muzzle loader hunters in the 1890s grumbled about the new tactical mausers and their unnecessary high capacity and untraditional looks! Who needs 5 shots to kill a deer! It's a mouse round, 30 cal is just a tiny pull. Real guns smoke! Real guns have levers!
    guess I didn't make myself clear. I was speaking of bolt guns

I am addicted to the AR-15. Love building them and shooting them. I am into the precision side more than the tactical side. As soon as I finish one and get good loads developed I am on to the next one. I have too many and am now resorting to giving them away to family members. I have an upper and a lower built up right now but I can't decide on a caliber. Probably going to let that sit while I build me a savage switchbarrel. Want me a 6.5 creedmore. There is a 30 cal. wildcat like the blackout but it is based on the Grendel case that I want to use on my next AR. Doing the research.
    Last edited by rcoodyar15; 02-08-16 at 12:58.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You just have to decide what you want to do with either. If you can have just one gun to hunt with and train on the range for defense, which means movement and manipulations-and need firepower, then choose a lightweight semi. While a light gun can be accurate it will more than likely not be as accurate as a purpose built heavy barreled version. It doesn't sound like benching it and shooting little groups is your goal. If you don't need the semi, take a look at guns like the Ruger Scout and set the optic up for your liking. I had one in the original laminate stock. I may try another with the synthetic for the weight. If you don't need the irons and want a light bolt--Tikka Compact, if you need more capacity at the expense of some weight, add an AICS compatible bottom metal. Your advantage is 4 more rounds if that's important.
    I'm going to take a serious look at the new Mega 7.2 pounder, if It runs and with scope under 8.5, I would be happy.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    no offense meant

I would feel pretty silly carrying an AR type rifle deer hunting.

but that is just me.

Oh so it's about " feel" for you , not getting the deer? I've done so much hog removal with AR platforms that I've long since lost count of the number of feral hogs I've eliminated with said platform , but then it's not about "feel" for me , nor is it " what if someone sees me carrying it and calls me silly?"...............it's about accomplishing a given task in the most expedient and efficient manner that one can.

And frankly that doesn't matter if it's an F-Class competition with a bolt rifle or shooting a Mink trying for the chickens with a 20 gauge............or anything in between.

I spend a lot of time in the Far North , a goodly amount of folks now *feed* themselves with AR platform rifles , which work quite nicely for the task. The "feel" that they achieve is in the general sense the " feel " of a full stomach.

Feedback Score
    Oh so it's about " feel" for you , not getting the deer? I've done so much hog removal with AR platforms that I've long since lost count of the number of feral hogs I've eliminated with said platform , but then it's not about "feel" for me , nor is it " what if someone sees me carrying it and calls me silly?"...............it's about accomplishing a given task in the most expedient and efficient manner that one can.

And frankly that doesn't matter if it's an F-Class competition with a bolt rifle or shooting a Mink trying for the chickens with a 20 gauge............or anything in between.

I spend a lot of time in the Far North , a goodly amount of folks now *feed* themselves with AR platform rifles , which work quite nicely for the task. The "feel" that they achieve is in the general sense the " feel " of a full stomach.
    are you just naturally a jerk or do you have to work at it!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    You just have to decide what you want to do with either. If you can have just one gun to hunt with and train on the range for defense, which means movement and manipulations-and need firepower, then choose a lightweight semi. While a light gun can be accurate it will more than likely not be as accurate as a purpose built heavy barreled version. It doesn't sound like benching it and shooting little groups is your goal. If you don't need the semi, take a look at guns like the Ruger Scout and set the optic up for your liking. I had one in the original laminate stock. I may try another with the synthetic for the weight. If you don't need the irons and want a light bolt--Tikka Compact, if you need more capacity at the expense of some weight, add an AICS compatible bottom metal. Your advantage is 4 more rounds if that's important.
    I'm going to take a serious look at the new Mega 7.2 pounder, if It runs and with scope under 8.5, I would be happy.
    That's what I have been interested in for some time, and seems hard to beat for the $$. I wish the action was a bit smoother, but I hear it smooths out over time. Has that been your experience?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is there anything that a bolt gun will significantly outperform a semi other than when you really need that extra bit of accuracy?

I'm for semi most of the time.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast