Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bolt gun or AR10

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
    Is there anything that a bolt gun will significantly outperform a semi other than when you really need that extra bit of accuracy?

I'm for semi most of the time.
    I'm a gas gun guy for many reasons. When I get behind a well-tuned, heavy bolt gun though, it feels like cheating when I break the trigger.

There is a lot more going on that requires training and more focus when shooting a gas gun, at least for me. The firing pin arrangement on a bolt gun is such that the rifle does not get moved much at all when you make that final trigger break.

On a rifle with a big swinging hammer, it does. And then this massive weight cycles inside of it, which rocks your position back and forth violently.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
    Is there anything that a bolt gun will significantly outperform a semi other than when you really need that extra bit of accuracy?

I'm for semi most of the time.
    Not an expert, but it seems accurate and highly reliable semi AR based 7.62 guns are expensive. A good overall multi purpose 7.62 bolt gun like the Ruger Scout can be had for well under 1k, and the reliability and total simplicity a plus. As others have said, depends on what one plans to do with it. If it's a plinker and hunting rifle say, one does not need the best of the 7.62 offerings in the AR platform, but if it's intended as something you plan to save your life with under who knows what conditins, then it seems you want the "good stuff."
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score

Bolt gun or AR10

Quote Originally Posted by stx.dead.I View Post
    I cannot decide between getting a bolt gun in .308 or AR10. I am looking for versatility. This rifle will be used both suppressed and non suppressed for hunting and target shooting. I will be carrying the rifle as well so weight has some influence on the decision as well. looking for under 2k (not including optics). I already have a Geisselle SD-E Trigger so that has some lean towards the AR10 platform but I need some input as well.

If AR10 Im thinking an 18" barrel

If bolt gun Im leaning towards the Rem 700 for modularity
    Buy a Ruger Precision Rifle chambered in .308. Then spend big on optics to get the best you can afford. You will not be disappointed with what you can do for about $2500 total. The RPR is an awesome gun. This is twenty rounds fired at 100 meters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rivoak; 02-09-16 at 17:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoodyar15 View Post
    are you just naturally a jerk or do you have to work at it!

In light of your rather frequent descent into snark within this forum perhaps you shouldn't indulge yourself with the inherent hypocrisy of posing such a question. And you might wish to be a bit more selective as regards your targets , 'cause Son I t'ain't 'bout to put up with your shenanigans the way some folks do.

I'll just simply put ya on ignore and call it good.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Ok, time to remember that this is the internet and not be rude to other members.
    Don't be the next guy to continue the interpersonal BS.
    And to be clear, for those of you on tapatalk, this is me with my "moderator" hat on.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Can't decide between the tika t3 ctr, t3 tactical or ruger rpr

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stx.dead.I View Post
    Can't decide between the tika t3 ctr, t3 tactical or ruger rpr
    The Tikka rifles are amazing rifles for the money, but if you're the kind of guy that likes having spare mags (and aren't we all) take the cost of those into consideration when deciding. Especially the CTR, expect to pay around $200 for a magazine if you can find them. That said, again they are fantastic rifles.
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Feedback Score
    That RPR is kinda intriguing...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    That's what I have been interested in for some time, and seems hard to beat for the $$. I wish the action was a bit smoother, but I hear it smooths out over time. Has that been your experience?
    After about 500, maybe or I just got used to it. It always worked and was fairly accurate. The bolt is pretty sloppy as compared to a Tikka base gun.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast