Thread: wood handle vs. full tang hatchet

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

wood handle vs. full tang hatchet

Curious what people's thoughts were on the durability and longevity of the two. Wood handles can be replaced if broken but when faced in an outdoor situation, how easy is it to make a wooden handle from unprocessed wood. With the full tang, if it breaks the head coud be lashed to a new handle but then the lashing is suseptible to abuse. Just curious to see where people stand on these. Looking at the condor tool versions with the soldier ax being full tang. They have wooden handled versions as well. Or just go with an eastwing all metal with rubber handle which have a more robust midsection.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it is wise to exclude all the "possibilities" and focus on "probabilities". I have a lot of experience here over the last 45 years.

While it may be "possible" to break that estwing, I have had one since my childhood with the old leather grommet handle that has seen oh so much abuse. I still use it to this day. Can you think of anything else that is that dependable? Very low risk there.

On the other hand I cannot count the number of wood handles I have had to replace on numerous axes and hatchets. I have a loose handle needing replacement on a larger hatchet right now.

I will stick with my venerable estwing and suggest anyone doing the same has the odds far in their favor.
    Last edited by soulezoo; 04-08-16 at 15:57. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I figure durability would outway weight reduction.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would take the full tang handle as the extra bit of weight is less bother than building a new handle in the bush.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I carry a Tomahawk with wood handle when backpacking because of weight concerns. Making a tomahawk handle is very doable in the woods, no lashing needed. When I am car camping I have an Estwing that I use.