Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Picked up a Colt Expanse M4 (CE1000) today

Feedback Score

Picked up a Colt Expanse M4 (CE1000) today

Picked up a Colt Expanse M4 (CE1000) today and wanted to share some pictures.

Box content: PMAG, manual, chamber flag, lock

Barrel stamping looks like it's engraved.

Uses a different trigger.

The M4 stock uses a "shinier" plastic. (LE6920 top, Expanse bottom)

Grip also has a shinier plastic. (LE6920 left, Expanse right)

Bolt carrier is FA but doesn't have the "C" stamp.

Bolt carrier appears to be chrome lined.

Gas key staked (Expanse left, LE6920 right)

Bolt MPC (LE6920 left, Expanse right)

Feed ramps (LE6920 left, Expanse right)

Has the "4" and "S" stamps on the barrel extension. I noticed that instead of the gray coating found in the 6920, it's more of a smooth black/purple coating.

Barrel profile is thicker (LE6920 left, Expanse right)

I couldn't find a date stamp on the barrel.

Buffer isn't H/H2.

Hand guards uses single heat shields.
    Last edited by hanschien; 02-06-16 at 15:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The cage number on the stock is P&S Products. I have seen their stocks on recent Colt 6920s also. Wonder why the lack of Colt markings on the bolt carrier and upper receiver?
    Last edited by bigwagon; 02-06-16 at 15:59.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks for the pics.

Wouldn't economies of scale dictate that all the non-standard parts would actually cost more than simply making the 6920 less expensive? I wonder what the demand elasticity of the 6920 is.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    The cage number on the stock is P&S Products. I have seen their stocks on recent Colt 6920s also. Wonder why the lack of Colt markings on the bolt carrier and upper receiver?

The upper doesn't have M4 near the gas tube also.
    Last edited by hanschien; 02-06-16 at 16:10.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing and the comparing
    It has the scan label on the lower, now everyone is gonna want one.
    Last edited by uniform64; 02-06-16 at 16:27.
    NRA Life Member Since 1993

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Handguard cap is also missing the M203 notches. Not a big deal since you are unlikely to need to mount one, but it's just odd that they would source so many alternate parts. There is not going to be any difference in the cost of those parts, but there is a cost in sourcing and stocking different parts. It leads me to believe they are outsourcing some of this rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    Handguard cap is also missing the M203 notches. Not a big deal since you are unlikely to need to mount one, but it's just odd that they would source so many alternate parts. There is not going to be any difference in the cost of those parts, but there is a cost in sourcing and stocking different parts. It leads me to believe they are outsourcing some of this rifle.
    I don't have a 6720 to compare but I remember that the end cap are similar to the ones on the Expanse. But I agree with you, on the justification on using alternate parts. However, we cannot compare the Expanse directly with the 6920 exclusively, but with all the rifles Colt offers.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Thanks for this info. I honestly think this was a mistake for Colt. I just don't see it being a commercial success and its probably going to devalue their standard products. Those who don't know literally think Colt is worse than Bushmaster and DPMS and that they are just expensive because of the name. They're the "flawless fit and finish" crowd and from the looks of it this is definitely not going to appeal to them when its sitting next to a shiny looking RRA. They don't know why a castle nut needs to be staked or what magnetic particle inspection is they just know that this one is splotchy and gray and that one is slick and black. Those who do know, know that this one doesn't have a chrome lined barrel and that the buffer isn't right and will wonder why the upper receiver and bolt carrier aren't stamped.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you don't mind, what did you pay for the Expanse?

The above post is correct, sadly.............The fit & finish uninformed crowd isn't going to like this offering because it doesn't look pretty. They may pass this up for a darker in color DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA because that's what they compare when looking for an AR, not things that actually matter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PaLEOjd View Post
    If you don't mind, what did you pay for the Expanse?
    $700 FTF.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast