Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Picked up a Colt Expanse M4 (CE1000) today

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looking at the parts on it, I'm not really sure what makes this better than most mid-tier rifles in that same price range.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I can't wait to see a Molon level accuracy (technically precision) test of the Expanse barrel. With it being a Colt, having the thicker profile, and an unlined bore, I would honestly expect it to shoot right along side the SOCOM barrel he tested.

Can a Colt expert tell me if the barrel is HPT/MPI, and if I'm correct in assuming that both the Expanse and 6920 bolts saying "MPC" means they are the same?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    Looking at the parts on it, I'm not really sure what makes this better than most mid-tier rifles in that same price range.
    Specs aren't everything. Build/assembly quality is just as important, and Colt has the track record to put together an AR that won't have some stupid shit come up down the road.
    Last edited by Uprange41; 02-06-16 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Specs aren't everything, but they're a good place to start. And Colt isn't the only company that knows how to stake a carrier key and castle nut.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    ..."flawless fit and finish" crowd...
    What's ironic is that thinking "fit & finish" is only a cosmetic concern is just as wrong as judging fit & finish by cosmetics. The truth is, not meeting the design standards of fit & finish can have a negative impact on function. While many in the "fit & finish" crowd don't know what they're talking about, or what they should be looking for, or why fit & finish is important, they at least know it is important.

I like the Expanse. It may not have a chrome lined barrel, but it's still going to take a pile of ammo to wear it out. If the Expanse is $700 out the door and the 6920 $1000, the $300 difference is about 750 rounds. I can do a lot of shooting with 750 rounds
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-06-16 at 17:47.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Picked up a Colt Expanse M4 (CE1000) today

Other than that hammer I can't really see anything that would make me question the functionality of that gun.

The hammer missing some mass just has me questioning whether or not the gun gets light primer strikes. As long as it strikes with enough force than it shouldn't be an issue.

As for the fit and finish, I can't believe they would let ARFCOM down like that their feelings are gonna be so hurt, and still goona parade with their better than Milspec bushmaster. As for me, and I hope most others here on this site, who cares.

I can't down this rifle at the price.
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 02-06-16 at 18:40.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    What's ironic is that thinking "fit & finish" is only a cosmetic concern is just as wrong as judging fit & finish by cosmetics. The truth is, not meeting the design standards of fit & finish can have a negative impact on function. While many in the "fit & finish" crowd don't know what they're talking about, or what they should be looking for, or why fit & finish is important, they at least know it is important.

I like the Expanse. It may not have a chrome lined barrel, but it's still going to take a pile of ammo to wear it out. If the Expanse is $700 out the door and the 6920 $1000, the $300 difference is about 750 rounds. I can do a lot of shooting with 750 rounds
    6720 is 799$. 700$ for an expanse is a bad value by comparison.

I'd need the expanse to be 600$ or under to be a good value. I still wouldn't buy one though.

Feedback Score
    Guys,

My intentions of posting this wasn't to point out the flaws, if any, of the Expanse. The comparison photos were merely for the purpose to differentiate the two. Other than the lower receiver, and some small parts, the two are completely different rifles for a different group of users.

The Expanse at the $700 price point will not have all the goodies of the 6920...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That hammer is like the one in the 6900, that was not built by colt. Are these?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hanschien View Post
    G
    The Expanse at the $700 price point will not have all the goodies of the 6920...
    I wouldn't expect it to, but IMO, the difference in price compared to the difference in specs does not make the Expanse a good value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajacobs View Post
    That hammer is like the one in the 6900, that was not built by colt. Are these?
    The lack of Colt markings on several key parts may be a clue to the answer.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast