Thread: A5H0 in new BCM lower

Feedback Score

A5H0 in new BCM lower

My new lower should be at the LGS Monday and I was reading about the buffers for the Intermediate buffer system. It will have a 16" BCM mid length upper.

Should I go ahead and replace the A5H0 stock buffer with an A5H2 or just see how it runs? How will I know if I would benefit from a heavier buffer?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    It will run with an A5H2 and green Sprinco spring for sure. I have a similar upper with the exact same sized gas port. The only difference is that the carrier body is black Ion Bonded and not parkerized.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    BCM has done testing on their gas ports and their barrels run optimally with H buffers and A5H0 buffers.
    I have a BCM 16" middy upper and I tested it with the A5H0-A5H1 and A5H2 buffers. They all ran fine but TO ME the A5H1 felt best and that's what I run in my rifle. I have had zero failures of any kind in this rifle.
    Last edited by CoryCop25; 02-07-16 at 05:40.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Daniel Defense uses a 0.073" gas port in a 16.1" middy, and I can hold my M4 like a big pistol and it cycles Wolf 55gr just fine with the A5H2. To me, that means it will be just fine with anything sensible from any position.

Feedback Score
    It is interesting that it is the opposite of standard wisdom that says to use as heavy a buffer as possible

Feedback Score
    That's why I asked the question. I was looking for the physics of why the A5H2 and green spring seems to be the buffer of choice. I just don't want to waste money experimenting or find out later that I prefer the heavier buffer.

I guess it's like most things in life and there is no definitive answer.

Feedback Score
    There is no definite answer.
    This is an issue of MRBS issues compared and contrasted to MSBF issues.
    One may descend into into higher function with more stresses and strains, with all the wear and tear issues associated with that. The other will not descend into a higher level of function, with much less stresses and strains, without the west and tear.
    The work in cycling can be used up with the friction of things, or it can be used to accelerate a higher mass. The goal is to balance the system for end use that suits them with better results.
    In this platform, there is a base timing issue. More mass increases the duration of time for the events to occur and can help remove work that would have been robbed in operation by friction.
    To the OP, the A5H0 may run filthy and/or dry. The A5H2/possible green spring may need a little extra lube for function.
    Do you plan to lube it one time and run it until it dies? Or do you regularly maintain the equipment so that those extremes are not necessary?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    Do you plan to lube it one time and run it until it dies? Or do you regularly maintain the equipment so that those extremes are not necessary?
    It will receive above average care and maintenance.

Feedback Score
    Then you know the direction to go then.