Thread: Closed Military Forum

Feedback Score

Closed Military Forum

There has been some discussion regarding the level of information that should be posted here due to its being an open source. Many of you are more familiar with the online communities of gunslingers than am I and I was wondering if there was a closed forum for Military that does allow more in depth discussion of training, gear, etc.

Thoughts?
    ABOVE THE REST_____________________CURRAHEE
    1/327th INF 101st ABN_______________1/506th INF, 101st ABN
    OIF 1 2003/2004._____________________OIF 3 2005/2006

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I don't know the answer to your question but just a friendly reminder; even if it's "closed" forum somewhere, OPSEC principals should still apply. Even though its closed/limited access, it would still be considered open source.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I still would like one if possible, there have been a few things I was looking for advice on but couldn't word it well enough that I decided to hold off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    There are no internet forums that could or would comply with information security standards, unless you're on SIPRNet or something. Even if the forum is nominally 'closed', you would be violating laws if you shared anything not freely available to the public.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Several thoughts of my own, not speaking for any other site staff or M4C...

• A lot of what some think should be restricted is often open source and commonly available. When you get to the heart of it, it's less about protecting tactics and methods, and more about whether a venue wants to host it.

• Does putting the discussion behind the veil make it safe? There are plenty of questionable folks, if not scumbags, that can produce the right mil or LE paperwork to qualify for access to restricted sub-forums. Other venues have had those issues and leaks.

• Deciding which veil to put content behind can be tricky. Is X a military, LE, or other topic? There is a lot of crossover these days. Some posters on one side may have better info than the other.

• Having had access to restricted portions of websites, those areas tend to be dead. There just aren't enough people willing to put up their paperwork for access. Some can't. And the member that can, may not be the member with the solid signal.

• With an all-volunteer mod-force, what's the time, process, and person to do the vetting?

• What creds qualify, and who determines that? Active, reserve, guard component? Which MOSs? Retirees okay, and which ones?

• What about international members?

• Maintain usernames, or require real names and office info for scrutiny?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    My intentions were not to post about tactics and current events that would be SIPRNet required. I would like a military/SRT oriented forum that tactics could be openly discussed. Nothing that we are going to talk about is going to be so cutting edge that you couldn't find it on the thousands of web pages and videos being published by former SEAL's and CAG operators. We just need to use a little common sense. You wouldn't post an in depth essay on you local Sheriff Departments TTP for felony stops or barricaded aggressors.

What is to be lost to discuss Land Nav techniques, Manuevering to an Objective, or Squad Dynamic Entry techniques. Hell if a person want's to learn the basics of any of these tactics, he can simply watch Youtube. I'm not trying to be disrespectful or cause problems but I think we are over doing it a little.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RamadiDoorkicker View Post
    My intentions were not to post about tactics and current events that would be SIPRNet required. I would like a military/SRT oriented forum that tactics could be openly discussed. Nothing that we are going to talk about is going to be so cutting edge that you couldn't find it on the thousands of web pages and videos being published by former SEAL's and CAG operators. We just need to use a little common sense. You wouldn't post an in depth essay on you local Sheriff Departments TTP for felony stops or barricaded aggressors.

What is to be lost to discuss Land Nav techniques, Manuevering to an Objective, or Squad Dynamic Entry techniques. Hell if a person want's to learn the basics of any of these tactics, he can simply watch Youtube. I'm not trying to be disrespectful or cause problems but I think we are over doing it a little.
    As you said yourself, if you want to discuss things that you can find easily on Youtube, why do you need a closed forum to do it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    As you said yourself, if you want to discuss things that you can find easily on Youtube, why do you need a closed forum to do it?
    Simply because when the discussion began regarding some common place tactics it was mentioned by multiple individuals that we should not discuss TTP's at all unless it is on the LEO thread. As I mentioned earlier, I am not trying to make waves. Actually, I am trying to make sure that I am not stepping out of line.

Feedback Score
    RDK are you a member of other military and / or special operations based forums? If not I might suggest checking a few out.

Such places that you are seeking may exist. I would also imagine that if these places did exist that entry into such areas would only come via sponsorship by an established member who has or had a face to face working relationship with you. I would also guess that the vetting process may go even further.

Again, if you are interested in talking military based stuff specifically, you might try some of the military and/or special operations forums. If you're unit designations are correct, which I am not doubting, you will more than likely find others with who'm you may have served with. This could lead to relationships and areas that may be more open to certain discussions. But as others have mentioned, even online forums, no matter how secure they may attempt to be, sites still get attacked / hacked, so no matter what most still follow certain rules in regards to OPSEC and PERSEC.

I will also mention that just because there is a topic on youtube does not make it fair game. The youtube video could have information that is a bit too much, or more so it may have information that is lacking and the subsequent discussion that follows may get a bit too involved in discussing correct information.