Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: oiling buffer spring

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    That's funny you say that, the first time I heard someone going on about spring noise I had no idea what they were talking about, I then had to concentrate to notice it. I guess I was too busy blasting my target.

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    It's for people who are more focused on spring noise than actually shooting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The size of the spring compared to the ID of the RE doesn't create a tight enough tolerance that would need lubricant to function properly.

Feedback Score
    My first AR was a new Colt HBAR Match Target 20"er circa '95 or so. Holy cow that thing had the sproing!
    Bothered me for about 2 range trips and I was over it. Honestly, carbines don't have the sproing in any way shape or form compared to a big A2 rifle length setup. It seems to just echo and carry on inside that big empty chamber.
    If it really bothers you, there's certainly better ways to deal with that than grease in the RE, good grief.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Whether issued or personal rifle, when cleaning I always wipe off the carbon from the buffer and spring and apply a thin coat of CLP or Slip EWL using my fingers or silicone cloth before placing it back into the extension. A thin layer doesn't hurt, using grease just sounds stupid.

Feedback Score
    Will have to really focus on it next time at the range, (versus the target lol) to see if I can even hear the carbine length or not? Like the idea of the silicone wipe.
    3rd Generation Veteran, (USN) that has always fought for our 2nd amendment rights.
    Molen Labe

Feedback Score
    Wow, some things are really overblown. I use shop towels for many things. Lightly oiled shop towels can start off with a light coating of FC. Eventually, the clean towel starts to get dirty and is used for the dirtier initial cleanup. The oil on the parts is probably about as light as you can get it. Soot and fouling can easily wipe off without being anywhere close to being called "wet".
    I do not see the real need beyond that. Wipe it down real quick with the dirtier towels first, then a quick hit with a cleaner one. Literally takes seconds, not minutes.

Feedback Score
    I cover everything to prevent rust. I light film goes a long way. A light film also dampens the spring noise quite a bit

Feedback Score
    I wipe with an oily rag. Very light.

All my ARs are carbines...I've never heard the "sproing".

I've been robbed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I don't lube my spring per say. I find with regularly lubing my bcg, a good amount of it ends up in the RE.
    Same here.
    Before every shooting session I put CLP on the bolt and after a couple of mags it ends up everywhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Grease sounds like a bad idea to me.
    It is a bad idea. Sproing is much more pleasant than results of grease on buffer spring.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast