Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with seeing red dot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Problem with seeing red dot

I have a sparc 2 on my ar and I don't see an actual clear dot in it. I see a red spot, but it's not a clear defined circle, and I'd just always assumed it was because it was a lower price point optic. That is until I saw a picture the other day someone took looking through one and it got me to thinking. So I turned mine on and snapped a picture, this is what the camera sees, and what I saw in the camera but not what I see when I put it up to my eye. It seems more blurry and almost like I can see each individual dot at times. But it's never a clear, round perfect defined dot. Could it be my eyes, or the dot?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Sounds to me like you have some astigmatism.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Well hell, it won't let me upload said picture, says it's to big. I was wondering if had astigmatism, well that sucks if I do.

So that being said, should I just drop red dots all together?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Why? It isn't precision shooting. With both eyes open, and focusing on the intended target, just lay they fuzzy dot on it and it should still work just fine.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Well hell, it won't let me upload said picture, says it's to big. I was wondering if had astigmatism, well that sucks if I do.

An easy test is to view the dot through your rear BUIS. Small aperture if it has one. If the dot looks good it's you eyes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There's great advice in this thread already. I have pretty bad astigmatism, and use either glasses or contacts. To me RDS are king for a combat gun, but rock whatever optic you want/need.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Just stopped at the gun store and looked through a sparc 2 with a vortex magnifier and 98% of the problem seemed to go away. But without it, it was still distorted.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I have astigmatism, and that's what it sounds like. If you already wear contacts, Accuvue has an Oasis for astigmatism line that I wear. They're a hair bigger than the normal sized contacts, but they corrected my astigmatism. It was incredible how much better I could see out of my left eye after getting those contacts. It's also pretty easy to correct if you wear glasses. If you don't wear corrective lenses, it may be worth your while to go get an eye exam. Life is a lot more interesting when you can see correctly.

If you aren't interested in corrective lenses, supposedly looking at the dot through the rear sight will refine it.
    Last edited by HCrum87hc; 02-08-16 at 12:41.

Feedback Score
    Thank you to everyone fir responding. I tried looking through my magpul buis, and it appeared the same with both eyes open, or keeping one closed. Although with my left eye, it did appear a little better. Other than this I think I have good vision, I don't have problems reading, and can differentiate things at distances. Maybe I should go get them checked though.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Definitely have your eyes checked if you can. I too have astigmatism and was amazed at how much better it was after getting contacts and glasses. Wish I had looked into it earlier.

I also noticed a big difference with LED displays such as on my stove and microwave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast