Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First SBR - Complete AR or just a lower?

Feedback Score

First SBR - Complete AR or just a lower?

I'd like some opinions and suggestions for my first SBR (though a trust). I'm torn between purchasing a complete AR (e.g. DD Mk 18) or purchasing a BCM lower and having it engraved.

If buying a complete rifle, must BATFE be notified if the upper is changed and the resulting overall length changes?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just buy and engrave a lower. can still shoot it with a 16 while you are waiting. there is a plethora of kick ass uppers available and you could put your own together while you wait.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Indy View Post
    Just buy and engrave a lower. can still shoot it with a 16 while you are waiting. there is a plethora of kick ass uppers available and you could put your own together while you wait.
    So do you have to notify the BATFE each time you switch uppers if the overall length has changed?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by S1dewinder View Post
    So do you have to notify the BATFE each time you switch uppers if the overall length has changed?
    No. Not at all. Put uppers of your choice on it, at will, after approval.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    with mine i gave them the smallest length I could ever assemble. 7in barrel and an overall of 20in. swap to your heart's content.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I was looking at lowers. A thread from 2010 listed Colt, DD, BCM, and Noveske specifically. DD doesn't sell lowers anymore (that I can find at least) and Noveske gen 3 lowers are cerakoted with a different shade of black, so that basically leaves BCM and Colt unless I find a previous Noveske generation...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    why not get a psa blem or a anderson on the cheap. there is a thread on here to verify the pin holes when you buy it and SBR that. youll never sell the lower once its SBRd so resale value is moot.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Indy View Post
    why not get a psa blem or a anderson on the cheap. there is a thread on here to verify the pin holes when you buy it and SBR that. youll never sell the lower once its SBRd so resale value is moot.
    If you're going to make an SBR that you can't resell and be pretty much stuck with forever you should probably get something that has higher probability of being in spec than an Anderson or blem PSA.

I have both PSA and Anderson lowers, but I'd never SBR one.

OP, you can find stripped Gen1/2 Noveske chainsaw lowers at Rainier for <$200 delivered.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    if its in spec who cares. measure one before you fork over the cash. and verify it runs before you form 1 it. At that point its all roll mark preference. My SBR is on a billet lower that has sentimental value so it wasnt leaving anyway. when i do another one it will be on a less expensive lower.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You can put just about any upper you want on your SBR lower, but I believe it's important to keep the upper with the length you used on your form 1, otherwise you may need to notify the atf that your SBR is a different length.

for now, I engraved an lwrc 556 lower and a christensen arms 308 lower. I felt that was best for me, though i really wanted an LWRC 10.5" IC, just too heavy, and a bit pricey.

scott
    Last edited by A5scott; 02-09-16 at 14:07.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast