Thread: SO Tech chest rigs

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

SO Tech chest rigs

Regarding SO Tech's rigs...

The SO Tech Falcon rig appears to be more or less exactly what I'm looking for/would like to have in a chest rig.
    Looking for any info, feedback, etc. from anyone who has this and/or has experience with it, as well as recommendation(s) on where to purchase.

The SO Tech Falcon is currently available at optactical.com priced at $185 in Coyote.
    http://www.optactical.com/sotefachha.html

The SO Tech Devil Rig is currently available at practicaltactical.net priced at $285 in ACU or Coyote Tan/Khaki. This price seems a bit high as the only difference I can see from the Falcon is a split front and longer straps. Maybe I'm missing something?
    http://www.practicaltactical.net/pro...vil-Rig/Detail

There was mention of a Falcon rig 'split chest' in another thread. Is there such a thing, or would that be the same as the Devil Rig?

Recommendations on where to purchase this rig?
    I would like to support an M4C sponsor if possible.
    Grey Group carries SO Tech products, so I'll check with them.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

~tp

Feedback Score
    i have an SO tech Hellcat for sale in the member sales forum here. It's the same as the Falcon except it only accomodates 5.56 MAGS I believe. Honestly I like the looks of the devil I might pick one up. As Far as SO tech goes its great bomproof well made gear. You'll be happy with any of their products.

Feedback Score
    Falcon is a Hellcat with an attached hydration bladder.

I've ordered from both optactical and Practical Tactical and would recommend both of them highly!

I ordered my Falcon from TimW at Practical Tactical. Fits my needs well, but if you are built a bit on the small side and do not wear tactical armor you will swim in this rig. I am 6'1"/200 and I have the straps adjusted in as far as they will go and it still is slightly loose on me in the summertime. I currently only wear concealable armor and am not issued tacarmor so I havn't been able to compare it that way yet.

If you're ever looking at carrying a plate, look at the SOTech Callahan, also designed on the Hellcat platform.

Another option is the Hellcat on the EE as mentioned. Give it a try and see what you think. If you like it, get the Falcon. It never hurts to have another chest rig around to keep in the trunk or stashed someplace ready to go. I have 4 different setups currently stashed in different ways depending on where I am or what I am doing.

Feedback Score
    With the way the buckles are situated, you can adjust the Devil Rig a bit smaller than the Falcon Mk3. I am 5'10", 220, 44" chest, 42" waist, and I couldn't get the Falcon to adjust small enough to fit me without still being loose. I don't have the problem with my Devil Rig.

The other difference in the Devil Rig is that the hydration carrier is MOLLE compatible/removeable and the rig has a padded shoulder harness instead of flat webbing straps like the Falcon. That means it's got a lot more labor into it than the Falcon rig. However, it's still priced less than if you bought the items separately to make the Devil Rig:

135.00 Hellcat Mk 3
    80.00 Padded shoulder harness
    80.00 MOLLE Hydration Pouch

$295.00

If you don't need a split-front chest rig, or padded shoulder yoke, or a removable hydration harness, and are bigger and/or will be wearing body armor, then the Falcon Mk1 will be an excellent choice.

OPTactical is a fine company...I've referred quite a few customers to them when I didn't have something they did. You can't go wrong ordering from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    i have an SO tech Hellcat for sale in the member sales forum here. It's the same as the Falcon except it only accomodates 5.56 MAGS I believe.
    Hellcat, Falcon and Devil Rig are all made for 5.56 mags.

I've sold several dozen Devil Rigs to military units, and am finishing up an order for over a hundred Falcon Mk1s to another unit. They're both excellent quality and depending on your needs, either should be fine.

At some point in the future I'll have more Falcons, just not in the short-term.
    TimW
    Phoenix

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thank you all for the feedback.

Leaning toward the Devil Rig as I want the option of the hydration carrier and I do like/want the split front.

Anything inside the mag pockets? In other words, are they lined, kydex inserts, etc?

~tp

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Anything inside the mag pockets? In other words, are they lined, kydex inserts, etc?

No. Just a pocket with bungee on the top. FYI, AK magazines won't work in these pockets, as the bungee isn't long enough and even if it were, the angle of the top of the AK mags means the bungee won't stay on the top.

Not saying you're going to use AK mags, but I get asked this a lot.
    TimW
    Phoenix

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    No. Just a pocket with bungee on the top. FYI, AK magazines won't work in these pockets, as the bungee isn't long enough and even if it were, the angle of the top of the AK mags means the bungee won't stay on the top.

Not saying you're going to use AK mags, but I get asked this a lot.
    Okay and thank you.
    No AK for me, but good info all the same.

~tp

Feedback Score
    TP, I figured not, but it's a question I get asked often enough that I decided to answer it ahead of time.
    TimW
    Phoenix

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just picked up my first chest rig. It is a used SOTech falcon. I've tightened the straps down all the way and it is still a little loose. I am no longer able to put the rig on myself. I'm 5'9" 195 lbs. Is it going to awkward to ask someone to zip up my dress at my upcoming carbine class? Now I know why they make split fronts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by el guapo View Post
    I just picked up my first chest rig. It is a used SOTech falcon. I've tightened the straps down all the way and it is still a little loose. I am no longer able to put the rig on myself. I'm 5'9" 195 lbs. Is it going to awkward to ask someone to zip up my dress at my upcoming carbine class? Now I know why they make split fronts.

Hey Bro every real stone cold bad ass dude has at one time or another looked deeply in to there Bro's eyes and said the phrase "can u snapp me".