Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 workhorse build for max $1000

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
    Have you seen the Colt OEM rifles. I wouldn't call it a build, but you can customize it for your wants and needs.
    $720ish for Colt OEM
    $200 for handguard. BCM KMR-A comes to mind.
    $50 or less for buttstock
    $20 for pistol grip

Under a grand and just what you want. Standard AR-15 weight which with the KMR rail it will lighten up the muzzle end and make it balance well.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion but the entire build process is actually what I'm looking forward too.
    So tear it apart (you'll learn something new) and put it back together, add some upgraded parts like a BAD-ASS selector, EPS or FCD ABC/R-F. Remove the barrel nut add what ever rail you will. This way you are starting with solid parts.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    The 80% idea is a good one. He could pick up a Bridgeport to finish it with.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Yea, good idea... or Okuma

Feedback Score
    I'll post my 2 builds in a different location due to this nonsense and trolling going on in this thread. I'm too old for kindergarten replies just because I'm trying a different approach away from the beaten path. I'll PM everybody who showed true and serious interest in my build and leave it up to them if they want to follow and help out with proper advise based on my set of requirements, and not some unrelated bullshit I never asked for, to be seen in both of my build threads.

That’s one way to get rid of new user.. good job.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Once you complete your builds post them in the custom build forum. Sounds like they will be a one of a kind build. It may help future members with a light weight build.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For a workhorse AR, polymer AR lowers are not nearly mature enough at this point.
    Maybe one day, once the thickness is beefed up to match the strength of a typical aluminum lower.

I'd say wait for a sale and pick up a factory Colt or BCM rifle or upper and lower combo that you like.
    Tons of good options among those.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you are really concerned about weight in the lowers, all forged lowers should weigh the same, assuming they are spec'd the same (should be). Also, billet lowers would weigh more, ideally, to meet the same strength specification as a forged lower (this should go for all forged vs billet metals). I read you have an engineering background and have some idea of crystalline structures and what I'm referring to.

For a workhorse AR, any forged lower from a reputable company will do. Aero seems to be about the lowest you can go before you run into the "rolling the dice" realm of standards. I personally feel like anything over BCM will not get much more value for your money (although I would never steer you from a Noveske -$1000+).

Moral of the story is stick with a reputable company and buy parts you can afford.

Tools for a basic build are really not that much. Roll pin punches, roll pin starter punches, a small brass hammer, armorers wrench, a small and large flathead, and upper/lower vice blocks will get you there. You may want to invest in a barrel pinning/dimple jig. Otherwise, putting one together is really not rocket science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivateCitizen View Post
    ...You might also want to note that lower parts kits of decent quality are hard to come by right now. Most manufacturers seem to be reserving those parts for their complete builds
    Really?

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=G&R Tactical

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Yea, good idea... or Okuma
    I like the way you guys think.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You should have seen my eyes light up! It's sold out. Once you add it to cart it won't let you continue.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast