Thread: Bow hunting Elk, Bear encounter

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)

Bow hunting Elk, Bear encounter

I was bow hunting cow elk this AM as I have a 5 month long private land tag here in CO. I drove up on a herd of 40 or so on my way in. Parked the car, and hiked into the property. I circled around to see if the elk went there usual ways and hoped to find them. No luck. I circled around to the back of the property on foot and kicked up a cub. I had cleared a large path through the brush a few years ago for my access across the property and saw the cub running up away from me. I thought nothing of it and went the opposite direction. I was at a T. Cub went up to the right and I went left. I went up maybe 20 yards and was standing up by some scrub oak, grabbed a drink of water and looked back up where the path where the cub had gone, and I saw BIG MOMMA running down the path towards me.. I didn't think it saw me so I side stepped into the scrub oak. Wearing all camo, and the bear came to a dead stop. It did not look like it was being aggressive, from what I could tell. It heard me when I stepped into the brush, and stopped then. I do not think it could see me before that. And maybe never saw me at all. When it stopped, maybe 40 yards from me, it kinda stood up, ears up, and looking exactly in my direction. It was a picture perfect massive black bear. It did not fully stand up, but more of butt on the ground, and front legs up looking for what made the noise. If I stayed exactly put without moving, it would have come much closer and possibly right at me. This was a big bear, so my heart was beating out of my chest as you can imagine. I had my broadhead knocked up and read to go, as I usually do when walking, and I also had my glock 19 with 124gr +p gold dots on my hip. This is my 24/7 CCW rig and is not meant for anything else but personal protection. Not from bears obviously, but with black bear, they are usually so skiddish that they don't stick around long enough for you to even look at them. The path behind me turned the corner and went away from the bear without him being able to see me. I quickly took that route and quietly but quickly walked away. I did not run, nor did I stay to see what the bear did. It was not following me, and I lightened the pace after 500 yards or so, through the path I had previously cut.

What would you have done in this instance? Obviously the situation turned out OK and I am here typing this. Or has anyone had a bear experience where one was coming towards you and you had to act, and act fast? I can not say it was coming at me as I do not think it was. Just in my direction and I happened to be there at the time. But 40 yards and a huge full grown bear is no joke. I have seen many bear, Lion, elk, deer, fox, coyote, bobcat, lynx, etc out here and when out in the woods, but never been in this situation. I feel I did the best thing as I had a good "escape" route.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bears have a tremendous sense of smell, so depending upon the wind staying still is unlikely to keep the bear from knowing you are there. Since Cubs don't run around unattended, understand cub = sow bear, and the sight of a cub is an urgent emergency. At the sight of the cub, I immediately would have the Glock in my hands, and if the bear advanced on you consider one warning shot, followed by one shot to the body, followed by everything else you have to the brain (and possibly throat if you think you are not penetrating the skull). Kind of neat to know there are things out there potentially above you on the food chain.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Where in Colorado are you? I'm a new hunter wanting to pick the brain of a Colorado elk hunter and may pick your brain if you'll let me!

Glad you're safe. In the 27 years I've lived in the foothills and 30min away from RMNP, I've never seen a bear!

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bears have a tremendous sense of smell, so depending upon the wind staying still is unlikely to keep the bear from knowing you are there. Since Cubs don't run around unattended, understand cub = sow bear, and the sight of a cub is an urgent emergency. At the sight of the cub, I immediately would have the Glock in my hands, and if the bear advanced on you consider one warning shot, followed by one shot to the body, followed by everything else you have to the brain (and possibly throat if you think you are not penetrating the skull). Kind of neat to know there are things out there potentially above you on the food chain.
    Thanks for the info on the cub and sow. I've kicked up so many black bears over the years and all I have ever seen is there rear-end hightailing it the opposite direction.

When I came around the corner, I had already had my release on my D-ring, and ready to go, for elk at least, as where I was, I have snuck up on many, many elk in the past. But in no way I would take the time to sling an arrow at it, when I had my pistol. If it took one more step, bow would have been tossed on the ground and my pistol would have been in full force. I carry an extra 17+2 mag on hip also at all time, so I would have a total of 35 rounds. Guess if that couldn't get it done, then I got issues.

I've been playing it over in my head, about making space when defending myself in thick scrub oak. While I had my single winding patch back behind me that I elected to take, I'm not sure what else I would have done. Lateral movement would be sure death as I wouldn't get far before getting hung up.

I went back this am and found big pile of bear scat right where she was. I replayed it over this am and took out my rangefinder to how close she really was. And my 40 guess was actually 22 yards. Uff da! Brought my rifle with me this am though.

Thanks for the info again, and hopefully this encounter is a one time deal. What a beautiful animal though.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Where in Colorado are you? I'm a new hunter wanting to pick the brain of a Colorado elk hunter and may pick your brain if you'll let me!

Glad you're safe. In the 27 years I've lived in the foothills and 30min away from RMNP, I've never seen a bear!
    Shoot me a PM. I don't have the answer to the honey hole, but I can get you in the right direction.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 09-12-16 at 09:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)