Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: In need of day pack recommendations

Feedback Score
    Mystery Ranch offers some non-tacticool options if you like their designs:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/java-pac...=1&itemcolor=1

http://www.mysteryranch.com/urban-assault-pack

I really liked my Sweet Pea, but it was a tad large for everyday carry. If I were looking for a new pack, I would be looking hard at the above two if I'm trying to fly under the radar.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow93 View Post

I really like the look of both the Vertx Gamut Plus and the First Spear Comm Bag. I was going to buy the Gamut until I saw some reviews that say it doesn't hold nearly as much as you would think because the outside pockets fold into the bigger compartment taking up the main space. Can anyone here confirm that?
    Picked up a Gamut Plus awhile back from Botach. It is a functional bag with some built in organization while still possessing some flexibility with Velcro loop lining. The side pockets do protrude into the core pocket... After using it, I feel the side pockets are too large, especially when they expand into the core pack. I simply use the side pockets sparsely and it is not an issue. The main compartment is roomy and the space compares favorably to generally similar Khard/VanquestIBEX 30. Those bags also have side pockets that impact the main compartment, even if a bit less.

Gamut Pluses are pretty good sized, as an example, they are officially too large for US commercial airliners. That said, mine
    fits with no issue on regional BAE and Embrarers with small overheads. For me, the Plus would be too large for my EDC, but works as a solid 2 day travel bag for me.

I had tried the Vanquest IBEX and was ready to pull a trigger on a Khard, both of which had similar but more hiking focused features. I picked the Gamut plus for $95, which is roughly half the price of IBEX and less than one third of a Khard. That price differential made taking a gamble on the Gamut Plus worthwhile.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Picked up a Gamut Plus awhile back from Botach. It is a functional bag with some built in organization while still possessing some flexibility with Velcro loop lining. The side pockets do protrude into the core pocket... After using it, I feel the side pockets are too large, especially when they expand into the core pack. I simply use the side pockets sparsely and it is not an issue. The main compartment is roomy and the space compares favorably to generally similar Khard/VanquestIBEX 30. Those bags also have side pockets that impact the main compartment, even if a bit less.

Gamut Pluses are pretty good sized, as an example, they are officially too large for US commercial airliners. That said, mine
    fits with no issue on regional BAE and Embrarers with small overheads. For me, the Plus would be too large for my EDC, but works as a solid 2 day travel bag for me.

I had tried the Vanquest IBEX and was ready to pull a trigger on a Khard, both of which had similar but more hiking focused features. I picked the Gamut plus for $95, which is roughly half the price of IBEX and less than one third of a Khard. That price differential made taking a gamble on the Gamut Plus worthwhile.

I'm glad you mentioned their size. I had to go back and look at them for the Gamuts. They are a lot bigger than I thought. I had previously thought the Plus was about the size as the regular. If I go with the Gamut I will probably get the regular one now as a 35 liter pack is larger than I need for sure.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been using the standard size Gamut for a little over 2 years now and I am very pleased with it. No real construction issues to date. Zippers, stitching and velcro are all in tact. Typically loaded with a G19 and a spare mag, puff jacket, change of clothes, handheld light, pens, notebooks, laptop, etc. My carry on bag every time I fly, gets thrown in and out of my truck every day multiple times as I travel for work when needed. I got the black on black versus the red because I just wanted something that didn't stand out too much. I'd recommend it for a low profile EDC bag for general use. Probably grab one of my Arc'teryx or Eberlestock packs for harder use.

Feedback Score
    I am trying to find one that can double as my work pack for my laptop and a range bag. I have a rush 24 which is nice but it's a bit to big for an edc but perfect for work travel and to fit a change of clothes or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I know I'm late to this thread, but if you haven't checked out the GoRuck GR1 mentioned on the first page then you really should consider it. I've been using it for a while now, and it is hands down the most useful pack I've owned. It is extraordinarily well made, and because it doesn't "specialize" in doing any one thing, I find it to be useful for just about everything. Be it day hikes, EDC, gym bag, range days, or picnics with the family.

That said, it is a bit above the $200 price point. If sticking below that, I feel like I would be happy with Grey Ghost Gear options (Lightweight Assault Pack, Griff Pack, or Throwback)
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345