Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger RPR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ruger RPR

In my quest to out shoot my son and F-I-L I was going to build a 20" AR15 to shoot at 500 yrds. Someone hear suggested I check out 6.5 creedmore, I did some reading and I got a chance to shoot the .308 version today and at 200yrds (as far as range allows) it was excellent. My buddy thought about the 6.5 but didn't want to add another caliber. Since I have no .308's or 6.5's I'm leaning towards the 6.5.

I do not reload (yet) and 6.5 factory ammo has a rep to be consistently accurate. My F-I-L want to use his .308 bolt gun. I know a bolt gun should be more accurate, how would the Ruger compare, would I be better off with a 6.5 Bolt gun.

Thanks
    Rob

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Frank G of snipers hide has a good review of the RPR. Very positive

Feedback Score
    Depends on distance. At 500 yards I don't really think there would be much of a difference between the 308 or 6.5 accuracy wise. It's going to depend more on the rifle and shooter. Now with the RPR I have read where there were some accuracy issues with the 308 but not the 6.5. If you Google it you will find info on that.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Feedback Score
    There's also nothing wrong with a 223 at 500. My 24" bolt gun has out shot many custom rifles in precision matches. If I were building today, it would be built on an AR platform.

It mostly comes down to familiarity. Until you get your feet very wet reloading, you'll appreciate cheap practice ammo. It's easy to obsess over gear but always remember that it's the man holding it that almost always makes it the winning gear.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm getting better at 500yrds with my 5.56/.223's but this is about not having to clean the fish, game or bringing in wood. Plus beating my F-I-L and son is key.

At this point most rifles are better than my ability and I am working on that.

Feedback Score
    Regarding 6, 6.5 vs .308, the Long Range Shooters of Utah posted a good video comparing them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ3OosLWCDU

I recently purchased a RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Very happy so far. The first range trip to get things sighted in and groups were well under an inch with no serious effort using Hornady A-max 140 gr.

At this point in time regarding guns, ammo, etc., I would bypass .308 if not already into it, and go directly to 6.5's.

Having said all that, inside 500 yards for target/fun/competition, I don't think you will find a meaningful difference down range between .223, 6.5, or .308.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biged65 View Post
    In my quest to out shoot my son and F-I-L I was going to build a 20" AR15 to shoot at 500 yrds. Someone hear suggested I check out 6.5 creedmore, I did some reading and I got a chance to shoot the .308 version today and at 200yrds (as far as range allows) it was excellent. My buddy thought about the 6.5 but didn't want to add another caliber. Since I have no .308's or 6.5's I'm leaning towards the 6.5.

I do not reload (yet) and 6.5 factory ammo has a rep to be consistently accurate. My F-I-L want to use his .308 bolt gun. I know a bolt gun should be more accurate, how would the Ruger compare, would I be better off with a 6.5 Bolt gun.

Thanks
    Rob
    The RPR is a bolt gun, just a tacticool one (no negative connotation meant, I'd buy one). Furthermore, have you seen the magpul dynamics precision rifle video? It's very good. I'm not sure of all the caliber a used in the show, but they push a .308 out to a mile without concern. Is it going to kill at a mile? That's beyond me, but it rang a gong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The FNG View Post
    The RPR is a bolt gun, just a tacticool one (no negative connotation meant, I'd buy one). Furthermore, have you seen the magpul dynamics precision rifle video? It's very good. I'm not sure of all the caliber a used in the show, but they push a .308 out to a mile without concern. Is it going to kill at a mile? That's beyond me, but it rang a gong.

Hmm. I'd take exception with the part in red... While a mile using .308 is certainly possible, it is a very low percentage shot if there is any sort of wind involved, you don't have a spotter, and you can't see your misses.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    Hmm. I'd take exception with the part in red... While a mile using .308 is certainly possible, it is a very low percentage shot if there is any sort of wind involved, you don't have a spotter, and you can't see your misses.
    Misses were visible, 10 mph cross wind, and spotter was there. They made it look much easier than I'm sure it is.

It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast