Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger RPR

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well its only mild steel of some sort about 1.5 inches thick. I would bet it weighs 300 lbs. At the range there are a few pieces of steel, all non AR500 that get shot with guns. Around here the average guy has a 338lm or a 338/408 or a 338 norma necked down to 7mm. The name of the game is hot and flat....or big and hot and flat. When My 338 lm hits this target, its more of a deep thud....imagine Arnold using a sledge hammer hitting the steel target.

Feedback Score
    My google skills were failing me yesterday. Has any one seen published hand loads for the .234 Win? I can find 6.5CM and .308 all day but the .243 is more difficult.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I finally scoped my 6.5 creed RPR.

I went with a more budget oriented scope for this rifle, mostly to keep it consistent with the affordable theme of the rifle.

Burris XTRII 5-25x50 with illuminated MIL reticle on a Bobro mount. Scope is nearly two pounds so it is a tad on the porky side.

I've also installed the Ruger muzzle device and replaced the plastic with a steel bolt shroud. Stock other than that and the trigger adjustment to take it down to 2.2#. The only other change I see making is to replace the grip with a comfy HK grip as I have done on all of my AR's.

I will be sighting it in this weekend, if the weather cooperates. The glass and eye box are pretty good so far just messing with it around the house.

Pictures below.

Last edited by HKGuns; 08-19-16 at 19:07.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I sighted the rifle in today, the most surprising part of the day was how soft the 6.5c shoots. Very soft and controllable recoil.

My first three shot group after sight in at the 50 yard line was a one hole three shot group with Hornady 140gr match ammo.

When I got to the 100 yard range to verify my zero, I couldn't get comfortable at the bench and it was reflected in my groups. The wind also picked up a bit by the time I made it to the 100 yard range.

Bullet: Hornady 140gr ELD Match
    Rifle: Ruger PR Stock Trigger
    Optic: Burris XTR II 5-25x50
    Range: 50
    Position: Front sandbag from a bench
    Wind: Negligible

Bullet: Sierra 140gr SMK
    Powder: 8208 XBR
    Charge: 31.5gr
    Primer: CCI LRP
    Brass: Hornady
    OAL: 2.800

Rifle: Ruger PR Stock Trigger
    Optic: Burris XTR II 5-25x50
    Range: 100 yards
    Position: Front sandbag from a bench
    Wind: R-L 5-10 MPH

I feel like the rifle will shoot much better than this and I probably need to tune my load. I was just off today and wasn't concentrating due to my lack of comfort.

Last edited by HKGuns; 08-20-16 at 21:46.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I noticed on your reloads that you loaded to 2.800 ??? That's 20 thou less than factory loads are. Most RpR's are running mag length. What mags are you using ? The AI mags will let you load longer to get closer to the lands. You can also remove the plastic strip at the front of them. I would bet those are 40-60 thou off the lands.

Your first group of the smks look like a small seating depth change would tighten the horizontal spread up a bit.

Did you have a chance to chrono any of the loads ? or pressure signs running a faster powder ?

Congrats on your first range trip, the creed is a joy to shoot all day.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Ruger RPR

Thanks for the tip, I loaded to the OAL in the Hornady manual for these rounds.

I typically load for autos so will need to tune these for accuracy as you suggest.

Thanks for your tips. I have not shot them over a chronograph yet but will do so in the very near future.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I sighted the rifle in today, the most surprising part of the day was how soft the 6.5c shoots. Very soft and controllable recoil.

My first three shot group after sight in at the 50 yard line was a one hole three shot group with Hornady 140gr match ammo.

When I got to the 100 yard range to verify my zero, I couldn't get comfortable at the bench and it was reflected in my groups. The wind also picked up a bit by the time I made it to the 100 yard range.

I feel like the rifle will shoot much better than this and I probably need to tune my load. I was just off today and wasn't concentrating due to my lack of comfort.
    Wind is not going to affect your bullet that much at 100 yards and is going to move your shots left to right, not up and down to the degree that you are seeing. With that load you should see about 1/4" horizontal change per 5MPH of wind at 100 yards.

I think you are either getting quite a bit of variation in velocity or the discomfort at the bench is really showing through in your fundamentals.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Agreed.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Shot the gun Saturday.
    Swapped stock for a PRS, handguard for a 15" MI M-LOK, and grip for a MOE.
    Fed her Hornady 140gr ELD.
    100 yards, from bench, bipod with rear bag.
    NightForce ATACR 4-16 T3 in KAC 34mm one-piece mount.

Shot 7 groups of 5-rounds each.
    First two groups were solidly under 1 MOA.
    After letting the barrel cool, next two groups were good, though I had a non-called flier.
    Unintentionally I started picking up my rate of fire during rapid bolt manipulation at high power (16x, I usually shoot at 10-12x for 100 yard precision), which could have caused group growth.
    The barrel may be a little heat sensitive, will see when I have more time.

Pictures incoming.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Shi**y iPhone/lack of actual knowledge and skill pic of the RPR on the kitchen table.

From last trip to the range. 10 rounds in there. Was shot after 2 groups of 5 rounds each (was checking for heat effect).

Pretty common group.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast