Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger RPR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The FNG View Post
    The RPR is a bolt gun, just a tacticool one (no negative connotation meant, I'd buy one). Furthermore, have you seen the magpul dynamics precision rifle video? It's very good. I'm not sure of all the caliber a used in the show, but they push a .308 out to a mile without concern. Is it going to kill at a mile? That's beyond me, but it rang a gong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've shot a .308 bolt gun at a mile a few times, and that is way outside the feasible distance for the .308. Do the bullets get to the target? Sure (we made multiple hits on a 36"x36" target at 1,760 yards), but they are dropping like a rock and the energy on target is almost nothing. And if there is any wind, unless it's perfectly consistent, good luck.

As for the RPR, I do a lot of long range precision shooting, and I compete locally and in the PRS, and the RPR is a great entry gun for long range precision. It comes with a lot of the features of the more expensive custom guns, for a surprisingly inexpensive price tag. It has some limitations, but overall it's a good gun and i've shot one in 6.5 creed and .243.

As for the caliber debate, a 6.5 creedmor will definitely outperform the .308 all day long. I started shooting long range with a .308 and you can learn some great lessons about reading wind etc with .308. I think it's a great place to start to learn the fundamentals. That being said, the 6.5 creed, .260, and a lot of the 6mm calibers are much better for long range shooting, and I think the 6.5 creedmor or .260 is a great all around gun for long range precision and hunting. I've killed deer and elk with my .260, but i compete with 6x47 Lapua (and have also killed mule deer with 6x47).

Sorry for long answer. In a nutshell, the RPR in 6.5 creed would be a great bolt gun to get into long range precision without spending a ton, and you can get pretty good factory ammo if you don't want to reload (Prime ammo is pretty good for the money). And 6.5 will definitely outperform the .308 if that's what you're after.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The FNG View Post
    The RPR is a bolt gun, just a tacticool one (no negative connotation meant, I'd buy one). Furthermore, have you seen the magpul dynamics precision rifle video? It's very good. I'm not sure of all the caliber a used in the show, but they push a .308 out to a mile without concern. Is it going to kill at a mile? That's beyond me, but it rang a gong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FYI, that video is mostly garbage, be skeptical of most of what you see in it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    Reasoning? I think I'll take Todd's advice over yours any day of the week.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macht View Post
    The "reasoning," is pretty much what I said, the video is mostly garbage. The part that Todd presents is a disorganized mess, with information ranging from pointless waste of time to complete bunk. The part with Caylen Wojcik is a bit better, but only covers a few narrow topics. They would have been much better off to have Caylen present his own instruction for the entire video.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I want one.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macht View Post
    The "reasoning," is pretty much what I said, the video is mostly garbage. The part that Todd presents is a disorganized mess, with information ranging from pointless waste of time to complete bunk. The part with Caylen Wojcik is a bit better, but only covers a few narrow topics. They would have been much better off to have Caylen present his own instruction for the entire video.
    Do you have a link to the video in question?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There are 2 large threads about the RPR on the 'Hide. SHLowlight on YouTube, Frank Galli, had some design input to this gun. Frank speaks highly of it FWIW.

LRI makes some aftermarket barrels and replacement bolt shrouds. Seekins makes a nicer handguard in MLOK and keymod.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 03-26-16 at 11:01.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OdinIII View Post
    There's also nothing wrong with a 223 at 500. My 24" bolt gun has out shot many custom rifles in precision matches. If I were building today, it would be built on an AR platform.

It mostly comes down to familiarity. Until you get your feet very wet reloading, you'll appreciate cheap practice ammo. It's easy to obsess over gear but always remember that it's the man holding it that almost always makes it the winning gear.
    I realize that this thread is about the RPR but I would agree on the 223 with heavy bullets. Costs less to shoot and will keep up with a 308 at 500. The 6.5 is going to give you an edge in the wind but it still boils down to the shooter being able to read wind and make the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by The FNG
    but they push a .308 out to a mile without concern
    Without concern? I would suggest doing it yourself before coming on a forum and saying such things. I also would consider a hit on a 36x36" target as a sighter, not practical accuracy.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    +1 on RPR in 6.5 out to 1000

Feedback Score
    By the time you get the RPR to where It needs to be, you are already into poor man custom territory.

It is an entry level precision rifle. Nothing more, nothing less.

I would love to see the guy making 1Mile hits with .308 reliably. Maybe if he is shooting from the peak of Mt. Everest with a 35" barrel pushing Berger 185's in zero wind.

1200 yards is about the max effective range of .308 with the right atmospheric & bullet choices. Even then the probability is not great.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast