Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 A2 HBAR Slab Side from 1988

Feedback Score

AR15 A2 HBAR Slab Side from 1988

I handled my first M16a1 in 1978 while in basic. It had the magazine release button fence. In 1988 I bought a factory new AR15 A2 HBAR and it was a slab side. What was Colt doing? Did they have inventories of old lowers that they were making new weapons out of? I did verify the weapon left the factory in 1988, but it seems kind of late to be making slab side lowers. Any thoughts?
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would say that yes they were using up old SP1 lower forgings, Colt always played silly games in those days with the AR vs M16 line up. If you wanted a Colt in those days you had to put up with, at different times, the over sized pivot pin, then the sear block then the over sized hammer/trigger pins.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The AR-15 A2 Sporter IIs originally came with the older A1 uppers and slabside lowers just like the SP1s. Colt eventually outfitted them with A2 uppers, but still used the Sporter slabside lowers. Eventually, the Sporter Match HBAR, Sporter Target, and the Match Target HBAR came with the A2 lowers. There was a period of transition where Colt was using what they had. The AR-15 A2 rifles were a prime example of the variations you can find.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 02-22-16 at 18:49.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    My '87 delta hbar had the slab side lower. POS btw. And it was a delta series and it was supposed to be the top of the line back then so I would say all Sporter II were that way especially since they didn't want anyone to put any m16 parts in it and the screw lower pervented the use of m16 uppers or M16 lowers for that matter.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    My '87 delta hbar had the slab side lower. POS btw. And it was a delta series and it was supposed to be the top of the line back then so I would say all Sporter II were that way especially since they didn't want anyone to put any m16 parts in it and the screw lower pervented the use of m16 uppers or M16 lowers for that matter.
    My '88 AR15 A2 HBAR has been a great firearm, and never an issue. It's still in the original configuration from the factory.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Also have the A2 slick side, and can appreciate the old school slick side/bigger pins etc...
    Original owner made it look like the Delta Elite, which I think he did way back in the day, this is how I got it

Funny how my friends at the range always tease he about having/building old school ARs "you need to up grade" I just laugh. Now they all want old school parts��

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    My '88 AR15 A2 HBAR has been a great firearm, and never an issue. It's still in the original configuration from the factory.
    Mine was crap. Finish was bad around the mag well, accuracy was worse than my SP1, hated the forearm, and the cheek riser. Keep in mind that I bought a Delta back in '87, not a stock Sporter II. I had my local gun store order the rifle for me so I didn't know what it looked like until I got it home and took it out of the box. I was expecting to get something nice for $1500 but damn my M1A National Match that I paid $1200 for was a better rifle and still is. After the '94 ban took effect I sold that Delta for $2200 to a 19 year old kid who had to have a pre-ban gun, glad I made some money back for the poor quality rifle. After that day Colt left a bad taste in my mouth so I don't buy colt guns if it was made after 1982.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Here is one just up for sale today. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=544225211 The owner called Colt and was told it is a R6000 slab side built in 1986... 4 years after production stopped. I know I bought a Colt Detective Special 6 shot revolver in the early 1990's it was a parts gun too. Great factory gun they built of parts they had on hand. I am sure this is the same thing. One of you guys should buy it so I don't! =) I just looked at the photos again. It looks brand new.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 02-24-16 at 14:58.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    I picked up a Delta HBAR around 1993. It had a slab side lower receiver. I added a Milazzo-Kreiger two-stage trigger and a Sierra Precision grip with extender. It is a very accurate rifle.

The next year Colt dropped the Delta HBAR and replaced it with the Range Selected HBAR. It came with all the accessories shown below. I added a Milazzo-Kreiger two-stage trigger and a Sierra Precision grip with extender (not shown). It is also a very accurate rifle.

Feedback Score
    WOW ... NICE

What scope is that?
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast