Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Apex Grade Barrel For The S&W M&P9: A Quick Look

Feedback Score
    Molon, have you shot any groups with a regular ball load like Win Ranger 124 FMJ?

Feedback Score
    Molon, did I just miss it, or was there no data in this thread on how the gun shot with the factory barrel, with the same loads, using the same methods, etc? Have you done a comparison of accuracy between the factory barrel and the Apex barrel? If so, would you post the results?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Man this thread makes me almost wish I hadn't got rid of my M&P 9... S&W should just take and bring Randy on staff. Look at Sig and Bruce Gray, hard to go wrong when you have innovative people leading the way.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MStarmer View Post
    Man this thread makes me almost wish I hadn't got rid of my M&P 9... S&W should just take and bring Randy on staff. Look at Sig and Bruce Gray, hard to go wrong when you have innovative people leading the way.
    Yes, it is ridiculous. The M&P could own the market with APEX barrels and triggers OTB - and done 'en masse', it could meet a very good price point. C'mon man.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    Yes, it is ridiculous. The M&P could own the market with APEX barrels and triggers OTB - and done 'en masse', it could meet a very good price point. C'mon man.
    That is true.....but S&W have the dumb.
    Doug Holloway
    ATEi

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    where are all the pictures?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Truly impressive results. Though not surprising.

I purchased my M&P9 FS 4.25" with my eyes wide open meaning, ergos are perfect for me &
    I knew I would have to replace the trigger. Installed the Flat Face FSS kit, perfect 4½ # pull.

Also have spoken to Randy about the gunsmith fit barrel.
    Like #Molon I'm sending my pistol in to Apex for the install.

I'm waiting until they're in the new location and settled in.
    Looking forward to testing, between the trigger & barrel this
    pistol will exceed my abilities I'm sure.
    Glock 19 Gen 5
    Colt Combat Commander

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    05/08/16

To date, I’ve fired 850 rounds from the Apex barrel. There have been no malfunctions to report.

As before, the statistically insignificant 5-shot groups pictured below are strictly for kicks and giggles. These groups were fired off the bench at a distance of 50 yards.

This group was fired using Federal factory loaded 147 grain HST ammunition. The group has an extreme spread of 1.88”

This next group was fired using one of my standard hand-loads (not tuned for any particular barrel) that is seated with the Speer 124 Gold Dot bullet. The group has an extreme spread of 1.49”

Continuing with one of my standard hand-loads topped with the Hornady 90 grain XTP bullet, the Apex barrel turned in this 5-shot group with an extreme spread of 1.38”.

Lastly, my particular barrel has shown a preference for the 124 grain HST projectile. This 5-shot group was fired using my standard hand-load for that bullet. The group has an extreme spread of 0.93”.

Wow. 50 yards? This is near custom 1911 Bullseye accuracy.

I have been on the fence about buying an M&P 9 FS for IDPA because of accuracy issues. I own a 9c as a carry gun and it is the most inaccurate pistol I own (yes, the 9c's are dogs too).

This thread convinced me to buy a new 9FS today for $429😉. My question is how much of a difference there is between the semi-drop VS the gunsmith fit? The APEX site says they are still no longer accepting gunsmith work so I would have to find someone local if is worth it.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345